2023 CX-5 Tweeter upgrade

Hello folks,
Just checking on upgrading the tweeters of A-Pillar and installing a centerpoint Dash speaker.

Bought a 2023 CX5 AWD GT verion. Its essentially a 2021 model with 2023 exteriors.
It came with 4 speakers + 2 tweeters standard, however, the sound essentially is Sub-Standard.
Im not an audiophile but it seems the Highs are Crisp Mids are non-existent and the lows are dull.
Since I cannot upgrade sound system or change door speakers - as mazda clearly said it will void warranty, I suppose I can upgrade the tweeters to Bose ones and change the centerpoint speaker or possibly install one if not present ?
As seen in this video..

My question - Will changing the tweeters and installing a centerpoint speaker make any substantial difference to the sound ?
Has anyone attempted this?

My question - Will changing the tweeters and installing a centerpoint speaker make any substantial difference to the sound ?
Since you say the highs are crisp, I very much doubt that changing the tweeters would make any difference. Maybe changing the other speakers would? Adding the center speaker is futile since there is no amplifier to drive it (plus it wouldn't make a difference even if there were).
Where does it say changing other things would void the warranty? The Magnuson-Moss act would disagree!

Since you say the highs are crisp, I very much doubt that changing the tweeters would make any difference. Maybe changing the other speakers would? Adding the center speaker is futile since there is no amplifier to drive it (plus it wouldn't make a difference even if there were).
Where does it say changing other things would void the warranty? The Magnuson-Moss act would disagree!
Well, the dealerships made us sign a paper that said electrical mods would void warranty..

Also, did a bit of reading, the original tweeters are panasonic - apparently with poor soud output. Bose ones have better.
No idea on center speaker though..

I wasnt sure if changing thsi sub-1 nch tweeter would make a big difference, thats why I posted this thread.
And absolutely no clue on center speaker.

If you wanted a better sound system you should have listened to the Bose 10 speaker system. I see they only offer that system in the top 3 CX-5 models now. I don't think a couple of speakers is going to improve the sound that much. The centerpoint speaker is specific to the Bose system.

I agree, the bose system, would have been vastly superior to the current one.
Bose system = 10Speakers + 2 Tweeters + Bose DSP +Amp
Current system = 4 Speakers + 2 tweeters + panasonic DSP
Price difference was about 7.5K USD.. and availability after another 3 months.

But now its done - and with the options I have - the question stands..
Will replacing the current tweeters with Bose and adding in a Bose centerpoint speaker - make much of a difference ?

a..m not an expert, so im putting forward this question here.

$7,500 for the Bose?!?!?
Holy s***, do people not know what kind of stereo system $7,500 can get you? I'm talking Linear Power, Brax, Helix, Mosconi, Focal, Sinfoni, Acoustic Elegance, Zapco, German Maestro, etc!

$7,500 for the Bose?!?!?
Holy s***, do people not know what kind of stereo system $7,500 can get you? I'm talking Linear Power, Brax, Helix, Mosconi, Focal, Sinfoni, Acoustic Elegance, Zapco, German Maestro, etc!
No... $7500 for the higher trim that includes the Bose.

But now its done - and with the options I have - the question stands..
Will replacing the current tweeters with Bose and adding in a Bose centerpoint speaker - make much of a difference ?
I already answered this. The answer is NO!

I don't know what paper they had you sign, but it makes no sense to me. Can you take a photo and post it here? Plus, even if it was valid, how could you change the tweeters and be in compliance, if you cannot change the door speakers?

I don’t think you can just add the center point speaker unless they did something for the later models. I have a super base 2018 CX-5 that doesn’t even have tweeters but it has the center grill but there is no harness in there to just add a center channel and I believe a proper center requires some sort of DSP processing. Do all the later models have this? The Alfa dealership I work at uses CX-5s as loaners and I think they are 2020+ models and I think only one of them has the extra DSP audio features like EQ and stuff.

Power Bass I believe makes a set of component speakers that are a direct drop in for either a ford or Toyota that I think uses the same mounting arrangement and plugs you could put in and if you need to take the car to dealer for anything swap them back out. The only way they will know is if they have to go in the A-pillar or door panel for something.

There are loads of Videos on YT for upgrading the speakers.
Harness can be sourced from ebay or other sites.

Most of these videos/users claim a significant improvement in Sound. Upon doing some digging.. the regular premium speakers from Panasonic are quite bland both in Mazdas & Hondas.
Bose speakers do indeed add the additional hertz to certain frequencies.

But what Ive realised is usually these bose speakers are paired with a Bose amp. Now sourcing the amp is easy as well, however installing it and then tuning is quite the pain.

my OEM panasonic speakers have seemed to have opened up.. the sound has improved but still meh..
I will upgrade the speakers for sure.. just want to first fig out what else along with the speakers.

Hello folks,
Just checking on upgrading the tweeters of A-Pillar and installing a centerpoint Dash speaker.

Bought a 2023 CX5 AWD GT verion. Its essentially a 2021 model with 2023 exteriors.
It came with 4 speakers + 2 tweeters standard, however, the sound essentially is Sub-Standard.
Im not an audiophile but it seems the Highs are Crisp Mids are non-existent and the lows are dull.
Since I cannot upgrade sound system or change door speakers - as mazda clearly said it will void warranty, I suppose I can upgrade the tweeters to Bose ones and change the centerpoint speaker or possibly install one if not present ?
As seen in this video..

Has anyone attempted this?

You don't want anything Blose does or makes. Trash. the Centerpoint speaker ruins the stereo image and The Blose version is screechy. You don't want it. You will need the entire Blose system and amplifiers to make it work as designed, but, then you don't want ....... While I wouldn't do it, a center speaker can be connected to to the positive wires of the left and right speakers and will play whatever is different between the channels. That will add some "fill" in the middle.

First, start with a "Spectrum Analyzer" app on your phone. Use inter-station FM hiss and adjust your tome controlls to get the flattest response curve you can. You might like a small bass boost above flat, most do, even if not realistic.

That test has limitations, but gets you close and will tell you what ought to be replaced.

Changing your speakers will not void your warranty in North America, other than on the speakers.

So I bit the bullet.
I acquired 4 bose speakers of a 2019 CX5
2x Tweeters (A Pillar)
2x Front Door Speakers
2X Rear Door Speakers (From a different mazda)

Now, IM NOT an acoustician.
The OEM speakers in my car were good, clear, details were audible.
My issue with them was They didnt sound Full or Loud. Like there was something missing with audio.
I had to crank up the volume to 50 and up to feel the audio.
On a bass heavy track the entire door would vibrate and bass sounded boxy.

Bose
The sound is definitely louder. Hitting the volume to 40ish.. everything is more than audible.
It sounds fuller (hard to explain) but it sounds better.

Question is how much better?
I guess about 15-20% better than audio on oem speakers.

Why Bose and no other?
Some other options needed splicing of the wires for connection.
Bose-Mazda speakers were simply plug and play.
I spent 5 mins for A & B Pillar speaker replacement.
and approx 10-15 mins per door.

Would I recommend ?
No.
I spent around 400 USD (approx in the local currency here) for some used speakers.
After the swap the audio experience is much better but not what I Expected.

Attachments

• B1.jpg
    B1.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 72
I was curious about this swap too. The stock amp will play 2ohm speakers just fine. I liked the NA audio just fine after tuning the EQ, but it's not loud enough. For me it stops sounding clear after volume 35.

I was curious about this swap too. The stock amp will play 2ohm speakers just fine. I liked the NA audio just fine after tuning the EQ, but it's not loud enough. For me it stops sounding clear after volume 35.
Exactly.. even at 45 Though loud.. It wasnt filling enough.. had to crank it up further. The bass was just bad at higher volume.. had to set it to -2 to -3.

After the swap its much louder and fuller as well as clearer. Now I dont usually go beyond 40ish on vol.

Not sure How do I adjust the EQ.

Adding a DSP will help boost the performance of your existing upgraded Bose further, I'd say at least another 30%, well that's what I felt from my own experience anyway by having the same setup like you, but just DSP adding on top of everything. The plus side is that the TAU (stock Mazda amplifier) is easy to access and everything is plug and play.

Back