What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Sticker on new wheels from aliexpress.
viber_image_2021-12-01_16-00-41-875.jpg
viber_image_2021-12-01_16-00-41-960.jpg

Not necessarily hard on the paint. They do use more aggressive soaps to break down the grime, but usually they follow with some sort of temporary protection in the last rinse. If they don't, the clearcoat still provides plenty of protection to the paint.

I switched to touchless washes in the winter f or convenience. If I had the time, I'd be handwvashing at the local wand wash. Touchless washes are 100x better than the automatic washes with the brushes.

I try to wait as long as I can before taking the car to its first touchless wash of the year. The soap they use is strong enough to strip the wax I normally use off the car. This year I got midway through November before it got too cold.
I have no issues with my go-to automated touchless car wash. Nu Finish has been holding up well over a year's time under this practice. In fact, I hand wash only once per year when detailing in the spring.

One note, though. This car wash added a new wash option only for vehicles with ceramic coatings for $1 more than the previous highest cost option. I don't do ceramic, and I don't know if this is for looks or if the conventional wash strips ceramic coatings, but the question is begged.

I have no issues with my go-to automated touchless car wash. Nu Finish has been holding up well over a year's time under this practice. In fact, I hand wash only once per year when detailing in the spring.

One note, though. This car wash added a new wash option only for vehicles with ceramic coatings for $1 more than the previous highest cost option. I don't do ceramic, and I don't know if this is for looks or if the conventional wash strips ceramic coatings, but the question is begged.

That says a lot about the durability of NuFinish (y) Most of the waxes I've used in the past are stripped away after two or three touchless washes, visible once the water stops beading up on the hood in the middle of the wash.

That says a lot about the durability of NuFinish (y) Most of the waxes I've used in the past are stripped away after two or three touchless washes, visible once the water stops beading up on the hood in the middle of the wash.
NF last April, an automated wash about once per month, more often when buggy, still shiny and beading nicely. My vehicles are garaged which helps. It doesn't hurt that it may be the least expensive product on the market, about $4 per vehicle, two per bottle. There are some products that will give you a bit more shine. Nothing says you can't spritz some of that when you a hankering. I don't bother.

Not sure what you guys are talking about. The weather looks great the next week. Sorry, couldn't resist

Screenshot_20211214-094906.png

I’d also make sure the center cap been put on at the “right position”, such as the “pointer” of the Mazda logo is pointing to the valve stem. ;)

View attachment 305554

And I thought that I was anal! (he says as he rushes out to the garage to see where the "pointers" on his wheels are pointing. He then makes a note to change the pointers at the next wheel rotation) :p

I just checked my Miata too, dang it!!!

And I thought that I was anal! (he says as he rushes out to the garage to see where the "pointers" on his wheels are pointing. He then makes a note to change the pointers at the next wheel rotation) :p

Lol! Good news is that you only have to do it once, after that you're good!

This brought back memories of a post I saw somewhere of "crazy" things mechanics have seen or been asked to do. While having her tires rotated, an older women asked the mechanic to put the wheels on so the valve stems were on the bottom because it's makes it easier for her to put air in the tires.

Lol! Good news is that you only have to do it once, after that you're good!
Except when I go to Discount Tire for free tire balancing once in a while, or when I have the free flat repair and the tire needs to be re-balanced. I always ask the tech to give me the center cap and I’ll put it on by myself at the position I prefer. Actually it’s hard to aim the “pointer” to the valve stem perfectly with Mazda’s round center cap. On the other hand, those irregular center cap on my Honda CR-V and BMW 528i are so easy to be put on in correct position.

Reminds me of a story I read years ago in the Chicago Tribune about a go-to Rolls Royce repair shop in the Indiana boonies. Evidently cars were brought there from far and wide. This guy was so anal he aligned the screw slots vertically in all his switch and outlet plates.

Now that I've put that thought in your head.... 🪛

Last edited by a moderator:
This brought back memories of a post I saw somewhere of "crazy" things mechanics have seen or been asked to do. While having her tires rotated, an older women asked the mechanic to put the wheels on so the valve stems were on the bottom because it's makes it easier for her to put air in the tires.
Reminds of the lady who complained about the deer crossing sign in front of her property. Can't it be moved down the road so they don't come in the yard?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, not sure if the tires were out-of-alignment or out-of-balance, thought it was BOTH. Only once I felt some mid speed 40-50 mph vibration ( I thought I felt it) during initial test drive. Thinking it might have been tranny shudder, paid close attention on subsequent extended test drives, which I didn't feel any vibration at any speed. The transmission is shifting very smoothly now, even better with new tires. I did notice the tires were out of alignment, showing uneven wear, the reason why I replaced them at under 15,000 miles with 6/32 tread remaining.

Checked all alignment shops nearby, every single one is booked at least until a week after. I don't particularly like going to Les Schwab or Firestone, can anyone recommend any chain shop? Most local shops are booked for 3 weeks, now taking appointments on the week of Christmas!
I have the lifetime alignment deal at my local Firestone. I've had the alignment adjusted 2 or 3 times now, most recently just after I had new tires installed at a different retailer. Never had any issues, and after the first time the car was definitely improved.

I always just take it up there early on a Saturday morning when they first open, and wait on them to do the alignment. Never had to drop it off or wait days to have it done.

I still say our recall service hatch struts are the same as the old ones. Before the service, the hatch would barely clear the open garage door bottom seal. After the service, it still clears the garage door seal by the same amount. If the hatch opens any less, it's only a few millimeters at most.

I still say our recall service hatch struts are the same as the old ones. Before the service, the hatch would barely clear the open garage door bottom seal. After the service, it still clears the garage door seal by the same amount. If the hatch opens any less, it's only a few millimeters at most.
Based on the liftgate strut recall detail posted by Westy16 in his post #8084, thers’re at least 3 different struts used for the strut replacement. Yours must be the one with the same length to your original struts. If you can find the invoice for your strut recall, may be you can post the part no. of your new struts.

Mine definitely are shorter, even the Service Advisor told me the replacements are shorter, but he said the lowered height shouldn’t bother me as I’m not that tall.

Cross bars from amazon. Original roof rails. Snowboard rack coming tomorrow but fits nice and snug so far. Will report back on the wind noise
47” Aluminum Universal Roof Rack Cross Bars Keyed Locks Fully Assembled - Fit Most Raised Side Rails https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Attachments

• B7F17E12-B35A-4169-8A21-4F5FB009D3C2.jpeg
    B7F17E12-B35A-4169-8A21-4F5FB009D3C2.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 65B83C64-5147-4053-9015-00236F4EF998.jpeg
    65B83C64-5147-4053-9015-00236F4EF998.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 136
  • A9BBB689-FAE6-455A-AA8E-BC13D6FF1DE7.jpeg
    A9BBB689-FAE6-455A-AA8E-BC13D6FF1DE7.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 121
  • F29C0D55-CC34-4C99-8015-99B8F9677260.jpeg
    F29C0D55-CC34-4C99-8015-99B8F9677260.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 133
  • BB4F9F7A-DCD8-48A1-A7D1-8F6E300148AB.jpeg
    BB4F9F7A-DCD8-48A1-A7D1-8F6E300148AB.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 501D52D1-1286-4668-AA29-6F42EDE89276.jpeg
    501D52D1-1286-4668-AA29-6F42EDE89276.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 0E588E82-6EAA-4CA5-B4B5-6D115CD816BD.jpeg
    0E588E82-6EAA-4CA5-B4B5-6D115CD816BD.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
So noisy. I mean turn up the music and you’re fine but definitely not something you want to rock everyday. Plus how tall it is- the drag must suck. Roof rails itself were fine. Add the Yakima- thing whistles like your window is open.

Attachments

• F34C7C81-0956-402D-8B84-0E9CC9B32E1A.jpeg
    F34C7C81-0956-402D-8B84-0E9CC9B32E1A.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 900504EA-4D92-4426-B52D-DF78E4C513B7.jpeg
    900504EA-4D92-4426-B52D-DF78E4C513B7.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 39CD414D-2644-4679-BE77-BE69B548A0B3.jpeg
    39CD414D-2644-4679-BE77-BE69B548A0B3.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 2F1344B6-07C6-487A-B162-E3B274E1C9F3.jpeg
    2F1344B6-07C6-487A-B162-E3B274E1C9F3.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 102
Was able to get some tires (255/40/20) from priority tire fpr 119 ea...Tire prices been fluctuating a lot. Mostly more expensive. Done ripping myself paying 200+ for tires on a street car. Waiting for $100usd brake kits to restock next.

What happened to your rear differential? Water intrusion? The breather / vent hose on rear differential has been modified for water intrusion problem based on a TSB and make sure you have an updated vent hose.

Rear Diff and Transfer Case Fluid Change: Tools, Parts and Links
Mazda noticed it was leaking by the seal, they replaced the seal. I went in for another oil change and they noticed it was leaking from the new seal. Then they realized the rear diff was bad, my Service Tech pitched a fit and I went home with a new rear diff free of charge. ** Disclaimer, I drive an average of 5000 miles and I'm their most frequent customer and have a good relationship with my Service Tech.

Back