What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Removed the roof side rails and sold them. At the same time, I have got the black trims and re-installed them. Now, it looks much sportier and I have some money to spend on other stuff for the car.

Installed hood edge protector, door-sill trim plates & front/rear splash guards the wife picked up for my bday. Going to grab a rear bumper guard next.

Removed the roof side rails and sold them. At the same time, I have got the black trims and re-installed them. Now, it looks much sportier and I have some money to spend on other stuff for the car.

Agreed, looks much cleaner as a smooth top.

I noticed some local dealers installing roof rails (as a source of extra profit) on all inventory sitting on the lot. Additional hassle for those of us that require a CX-5 without.

Installed hood edge protector, door-sill trim plates & front/rear splash guards the wife picked up for my bday. Going to grab a rear bumper guard next.

By any chance can you provide a photo of the hood protector, is this the OEM one?

I have picked up two pairs of Infinity Primus PR6500CS component speakers from Best Buy, when they were on sale. They were $129 all of them, picked them up in the store. Buy one pair, get one pair for free deal.
I have also picked up the same time a pair of 3.5" Polk Audio DXi350 for the dash, for $24.99 shipped from Crutchfield.
This is all that I have installed until now, but I have already picked up two broken Polk Audio amps, which I have repaired already. They are the PA660 and PA880. They cost me at the end, a whopping ~$100 total.
I have a Kenwood DNX6990HD that I have for now, that I will have to install after I'm getting the PAC steering wheel adapter, that I have picked up broken from Ebay($120) and sent out to be repaired($140 shipped&repaired- much cheaper then Kenwood have done it).
I also have purchased a JL Audio 10TW3-D4 10" shallow subwoofer, which I'm planning to install in the spare wheel itself. I may have to make a false floor, on top of the wheel.

Last edited:
Dropped my 2014.5 off today for the TSBs on the driver side mirror shake and the hood shake. They put me in lower model loaner and boy does it make me appreciate everything that's in my GT w/ tech. My wife got in the car and asked what kind of car it was. She didn't even realize it was the same car. lol...

By any chance can you provide a photo of the hood protector, is this the OEM one?

Yup, OEM.
IMG_20140408_142718.jpg
IMG_20140408_142652.jpg

Thanks for the photos, I was not aware it fit like that, is it actually touching the hood? If so what keeps it from damaging the paint from rubbing or something getting behind it?

Thanks for the photos, I was not aware it fit like that, is it actually touching the hood? If so what keeps it from damaging the paint from rubbing or something getting behind it?

The plastic isn't actually touching the hood that I can see. There are thin adhesive strips along all edges that hold it to the hood and act like a buffer.. On the underside it's held in with push retainers, it doesn't move at all once in place. I like the way it looks, fits well w/ the front of the car.

This is the install doc, probably gives you the best idea of how it's secured.
http://ep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-24809172479195/cx5hoodprotector.pdf

The only problem is now that I've seen how good the Opti-Coat looks I might remove it and have that done.

I have picked up two pairs of Infinity Primus PR6500CS component speakers from Best Buy, when they were on sale. They were $129 all of them, picked them up in the store. Buy one pair, get one pair for free deal.
I have also picked up the same time a pair of 3.5" Polk Audio DXi350 for the dash, for $24.99 shipped from Crutchfield.
This is all that I have installed until now, but I have already picked up two broken Polk Audio amps, which I have repaired already. They are the PA660 and PA880. They cost me at the end, a whopping ~$100 total.
I have a Kenwood DNX6990HD that I have for now, that I will have to install after I'm getting the PAC steering wheel adapter, that I have picked up broken from Ebay($120) and sent out to be repaired($140 shipped&repaired- much cheaper then Kenwood have done it).
I also have purchased a JL Audio 10TW3-D4 10" shallow subwoofer, which I'm planning to install in the spare wheel itself. I may have to make a false floor, on top of the wheel.

Please keep us updated on your Kenwood install.

Started installing new door speakers. Managed to finish the driver's door. I'm installing Infinity Primus PR6500CS speakers, front and back.
Dash speakers, were replaced a while ago, with Polk Audio 3.5" speakers.

Did it sound much better with new dash speakers? I might do this.

I got a pair of 1st gen Paradigm Atoms book shelf speakers with blown woofers, but stellar 3.5" mid/tweeters. Best speakers I've ever owned. Might install those 3.5" in the CX-5 dash.

The plastic isn't actually touching the hood that I can see. There are thin adhesive strips along all edges that hold it to the hood and act like a buffer.. On the underside it's held in with push retainers, it doesn't move at all once in place. I like the way it looks, fits well w/ the front of the car.

This is the install doc, probably gives you the best idea of how it's secured.
http://ep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-24809172479195/cx5hoodprotector.pdf

The only problem is now that I've seen how good the Opti-Coat looks I might remove it and have that done.

Now I see how it attaches, I thought it was like the smoke plastic wind deflectors I've had on past cars that easily remove for washing and waxing. So once this is on it's not desiged to be removed. I note the comment in the directions about paint fade, my veh being red that could be an issue. Thanks again for the details.

It sounds much better with the dash speakers, specially that I have spent $25 only.
The other speakers made the whole system louder, I have to set the volume at lower setting with the new speakers.
Initially, I thought, that the tweeters will deliver to much highs, but it's all OK. They don't produce a high volume. I'm at -1 at the setup page, with 6 tweeters.
The base it's so good, that I'm contemplating about the sub, it's even worth installing it or not?!
I guess, since I have the whole setup already, that I will install them. I just need some wiring kit for the amps and find a place to install them somewhere. Initially I was thinking, to install them under the seats, but I don't like the idea, to blow hot air on them in the winter. I may have to raise them, above the air ducts.

Getting a towbar and electrics fitted today. Detachable tow hitch should avoid spoiling the look of the car and won't interfere with parking sensors.

Well, I got my car back yesterday after getting the TSBs taken care of for the hood shake and the mirror shake, but the mirror still shakes even though they replaced the whole assembly. However, the hood is fixed.

Just received my new OEM all weather mats and rear cargo tray, nice fit and look! Also received my Curt trailer hitch and wiring from Amazon, looks like I just created a weekend project installing that.

Has anyone experienced the passenger side sun visor vibrating up and down quite a bit on slightly bumpy highways? The driver's side is rock solid by the pass side vibrates so much it makes noise vibrating against the headliner. It gets pretty bad on the concrete freeways at 60 mph, so much so I have to tilt it down 1/2" to keep it from hitting the headliner but then it looks like it's sagging.

Cargo liner arrived today. Went for a third party offering on eBay. It looks OK but my car is still at the towbar fitters so I'll see what it looks like tomorrow.

Picked up car this morning with towbar fitted. Went for Westfalia detachable hitch with 13 pin electrics and when the hitch is detached the towbar is invisible behind bumper and the electric socket swings up out of the way too. Nice!

Wow; that's bloody impressive! Must have cost a small fortune. Nice video too. I'm assuming this is a German product?

Back