Took lunch at work....ended up coming back with a 2017 CX-5 GT

Gorgeous car! Kellic, since you have a shot of the Mazda Connect screen, I have a question that I wasn't able to check on my test drives. What version of the infotainment firmware is your new CX-5 running? Thanks. I mentioned this in my review that I noticed that responsiveness of the user interface (from the Multi-Information Display to Mazda Connect booting to its responses to commands) is much faster than that of my car's Mazda Connect.

OS version is 59.00.446 NA N

:)

Yes I can't wait to see it in the metal. I can imagine it being more premium looking compared to the competition in this price point.

They are at Aussie dealers now, mate!

I dropped i to my local Mazda dealer today, Oldmac Mazda at Cleveland (and Springwood) Qld.

I had a look at a red GT 2.5 petrol. Very nice. interiors very different to 2106 MY. Does look sharp, but not sharp enough for me to trade in my 9 month old Akera! I didnt get to see a diesel but didnt stay for long, so I didnt find out if the new diesel here has the adblue injection or not. Mechanic I was talking to didnt know either.

So i assume they would be at all major dealers in Aus by now.

Get yourself down there!

Here's the thing. I've never had a SUV CUV before. Largest/heaviest car I've ever owned was a 78 Impala.
Ha, my first car was a 1974 Chevy Impala. That boat was indeed huge! :)

Interesting thing I noted. You can shut off the rear vents with those scroll wheel to close the vent. That wheel does more then shut off the vent at the termination point as there is a marked increase in driver and passenger air movement when you close it off. So if you don't have rear seat passengers you might want to be sure to close those vents.
Excellent advice! The reason is rear AC vents are ducted from front dash vents. If you leave the rear vents open then the cold air volume will be spreaded out to more vent outlets, hence less cold air for each vent. So use the vent open/close dial control to keep the rear AC vents closed if there's no rear passengers like you suggested. I believe the vent open/close dial control is still missing on center dash vents for 2017 US CX-5.

Startup time of Mazda Connect IS faster then my 2016 Mazda3. I suspect they upped the specs of the system. No new features in the software though, or at least as far as I can see. Same as before.
2017 CX-5 has new tablet LCD screen with wider aspect ratio. But the faster start-up time usually comes from software enhancement as the difference on hardware speeds is hard to be detected without an instrument.

PS- Love that new car smell. =D
Yeah new car smell is always very nice, enjoy and congrats! And it has to be your most expensive lunch break ever like banjos-n-beer said! :)

Man I look derpy as hell in these pictures. Probably because I had to race back to work and was in a hurry.

Mazda1.jpg

Congrats on your lunch break adventure. The only good thing about forgetting my lunch at home is the excuse to drive out the Mazda to get lunch.

They are at Aussie dealers now, mate!

I dropped i to my local Mazda dealer today, Oldmac Mazda at Cleveland (and Springwood) Qld.

I had a look at a red GT 2.5 petrol. Very nice. interiors very different to 2106 MY. Does look sharp, but not sharp enough for me to trade in my 9 month old Akera! I didnt get to see a diesel but didnt stay for long, so I didnt find out if the new diesel here has the adblue injection or not. Mechanic I was talking to didnt know either.

So i assume they would be at all major dealers in Aus by now.

Get yourself down there!

Yeh Cheers. I drove past my local dealer yesterday and saw a couple of base model CX-5s in white parked out the front. Those steel wheels are horrid. The higher-spec models were probably out on test drives. Will drop in to have a look soon. Yes its a good thing the pre-2017 KE CX-5 GT and up is still a good looker :)

Very nice. We got ours yesterday as well. The red is absolutely gorgeous. Window tinting getting done Saturday morning!

Additional thoughts after a few days of driving. Its still weird going from pretty close to the ground on my Mazda3 to sitting rather high on the CX-5's 19" wheels. However I've found that some of the features that did not work well in the Mazda3 and felt more like a gimmick. (Lane departure warning, auto windshield wipers, etc.) Are much more refined in the CX-5. The radar assisted cruise control isn't as jarring when it decelerates when the car in front of you slows down. Its a much more gradual deceleration. Still playing with the seats. Way more options then in the Mazda3.
I am a little sad that the heated steering wheel doesn't remember the last setting when you turned the car off, unlike the heated seats. Its not a huge thing, however when I leave work I usually turn on the car 5-10 minutes prior to leaving in the winter to let it warm up. Usually when the temp is at 0. It would have been nice to have the steering wheel heated when I jump into the car. On the plus side the heaters kick in fast. The steering wheel is noticeably warm within 60 seconds. So no big deal.
Glove compartment is dinky compared to my Mazda3. Literally the manual pack take up 3/4ths of the compartment, which is rather stupid for such a large vehicle. I'm really liking the brush metal finish

Fake_wood.jpg

I'm not a fan of wood trim as I'm not in my 60's, not back in the 70's, and am not driving a station wagon from the same period. But this I like. The grain in the "wood" is slick.

Agreed about the wood trim ;)

Thank you for the impressions! I have my reservations about the style designs of the 2017, but now I am looking forward to seeing one in person when they hit here. Not looking to trade my 2014 for one, but might be interested in a diesel version down the road.

Also have to admit that that red is looking pretty sexy.

Congrats!
My daughter is taking my wife's '14 Mazda3 to college.
We will be getting the CX-5 some time in late summer.

Did you see the new metallic grey? I heard it is beautiful as well.
$300 more.

Well my dealer didn't lie to me. He said last week of March, first week of April. New CX5 s have arrived on the North Coast. 😎

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Something has been bugging me the last couple days driving this thing. I finally figured it out. My M3 had a leather wrapped steering wheel.

Wheel.jpg

The CX-5 does not and it feels off. Obvious I can fix that with an after market and they may have done it because of the heated steering wheel. Still. For a 35K car. I'm going to nit pick a bit.....just a bit though. Still love it. Still won't remove anything that have added from the 2016.5, but I would make some alterations IMHO.

Congrats!
My daughter is taking my wife's '14 Mazda3 to college.
We will be getting the CX-5 some time in late summer.

Did you see the new metallic grey? I heard it is beautiful as well.
$300 more.

Nope. Didn't see it. =D

Something has been bugging me the last couple days driving this thing. I finally figured it out. My M3 had a leather wrapped steering wheel.

Wheel.jpg

The CX-5 does not and it feels off. Obvious I can fix that with an after market and they may have done it because of the heated steering wheel. Still. For a 35K car. I'm going to nit pick a bit.....just a bit though. Still love it. Still won't remove anything that have added from the 2016.5, but I would make some alterations IMHO.

Your 2017 CX-5 Steering wheel is not leather? (five-0)

MAZDA Spec page for TOURING and GRAND TOURING lists:
Leather-wrapped steering wheel
Leather-wrapped gear selector

Last edited:
Hmmm... Cherokee is not leather either, also heated. Coincidence?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm nominally planning on getting a GT Diesel loaded, but would prefer less tinting, not more. I like to be able to see who is in my car, and wave to people outside. Maybe it will make the climate control easier.

Wheel.jpg

Wait, it is supposed to have a leather wrapped wheel. Do you think they remove it with the premium package?

I'm confused. That looks exactly (minus the red stitching) like my leather wrapped Touring wheel in my 2014.

What am I missing?

Back