Took lunch at work....ended up coming back with a 2017 CX-5 GT

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
Man I look derpy as hell in these pictures. Probably because I had to race back to work and was in a hurry.

Mazda1.jpg

Mazda2.jpg

First drive back. 20ish miles. Not bad.

Mazda3.jpg

Nah, everybody looks cool in a cool new red car!

Congratulations man! Now post more pics after work! (wiggle)

Lmao! What Dougal said. Nice car, brother.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Most expensive lunch break ever?

haha, this!

congrats on the new CX-5.
I saw my first one out in the wild here in SoCAl on Saturday in that same color and it looks STUNNING in person.
I remember seeing it at the LA Auto Show but indoors it wasn't the same.
when the sun hits that crystal red.... wow.

Congrats. Wish I could do that from a lunch break. haha. That red looks very very nice!

More and more folks are seeing these in person and realizing how good the new generation is! Blows away the previous. Wait until the diesels start arriving!

More and more folks are seeing these in person and realizing how good the new generation is! Blows away the previous. Wait until the diesels start arriving!

Yes I can't wait to see it in the metal. I can imagine it being more premium looking compared to the competition in this price point.

Why race back to work????? If I were you I'd call in "sick" and spend the rest of day in the cabin, enjoy the new car smell, read the printed-in-japan manual, trying out every single 2017 new feature... Anything but work really :)

Congratulations!

Gorgeous car! Kellic, since you have a shot of the Mazda Connect screen, I have a question that I wasn't able to check on my test drives. What version of the infotainment firmware is your new CX-5 running? Thanks. I mentioned this in my review that I noticed that responsiveness of the user interface (from the Multi-Information Display to Mazda Connect booting to its responses to commands) is much faster than that of my car's Mazda Connect.

I mentioned this in my review that I noticed that responsiveness of the user interface (from the Multi-Information Display to Mazda Connect booting to its responses to commands) is much faster than that of my car's Mazda Connect.

Along those lines, it looks to me like the screen is different than my wife's 2014 Mazda 3. Both screens are listed as 7" and stick up out of the dashboard, but the CX5 looks like the screen is clearer and has a different aspect ratio. Wondering if it is using the hardware found in the Chinese Mazda 6 that has CarPlay?

Here's the thing. I've never had a SUV CUV before. Largest/heaviest car I've ever owned was a 78 Impala. My last car was a 2016 Mazda3 S GT. And while that and this car have the same engine the driving dynamics are 100% different. I don't have anything to compare it to. I test drove a 2016.5 CX-5 about a month ago. In order of "premium" feel it would be 2016.5 CX5 > 2016 Mazda3 > 2017 CX-5. For such a large vehicle this thing feels pretty nimble on the road. Jumping into this vehicle and riding off, it felt like meeting up with an old friend. The design of the new CX-5 has so much in common with the Mazda3 I'd swear it's a refined Mazda3 interior. Until you wander away from the dash and front of the car into the rest of the cabin. Interesting thing I noted. You can shut off the rear vents with those scroll wheel to close the vent. That wheel does more then shut off the vent at the termination point as there is a marked increase in driver and passenger air movement when you close it off. So if you don't have rear seat passengers you might want to be sure to close those vents.

Right now I'm careful as hell with it as I'm feeling it out with how it handles. I'll be blunt. Getting an 8 month old car totaled on me last year has made me hyper aware of dip****s on the road. So I'm paying less attention to the vehicle right now then is that ***hole paying attention when he changes lanes....nope.

The HUD though. God the HUD. I spend 90% of the time with eyes on the road as I don't need to look down anymore. You can move the HUD pretty far up your field of vision in the settings. Its more than just a slick feature. I suspect that as more people get a HUD in their ride its going to be a must have feature for future cars.

Startup time of Mazda Connect IS faster then my 2016 Mazda3. I suspect they upped the specs of the system. No new features in the software though, or at least as far as I can see. Same as before.

So far I'm averaging about 29MPG after about 60 miles today.

PS- Love that new car smell. =D

Back