Took First Road trip in our 2018 CX-5..36.1 MPG!

220 miles at 50-65? How did you not stab yourself in the face at those speeds?

I'd gladly pay the exta fuel to get there 60-90 minutes sooner.

Here is a simple math lesson, what would your average speed have to be to get there 60 minutes or 90 minutes earlier than they guy going 65 mph?

And yes, it is not that complicated but goes to the lunacy of your post.

Here is a simple math lesson, what would your average speed have to be to get there 60 minutes or 90 minutes earlier than they guy going 65 mph?

And yes, it is not that complicated but goes to the lunacy of your post.

He's using his flux capacitor.

As was stated in another thread, EPA numbers are not for 80 MPH. My highway is also typically around 28, which I am not going to complain about 2 freaking MPG considering my last car was more like 12 MPG. My highway is typically going to be anywhere between 65-90 mph depending on the highway.

I don't honestly see the EPA numbers as being terribly relevant as I am most of the time driving more than 55 MPH when I am on a highway and my city MPG has been pretty inline with 26+. That said, I can hit EPA highway MPG pretty easily if I want to, but I like myself and a loss of 2 MPG is no big deal.

This is the first vehicle I've ever owned that wouldn't beat EPA numbers on my highway driving though. Everything else would meet or exceed at 75mph.

FWD or AWD?

The difference on EPA highway MPG between FWD and AWD CX-5 (gen-1) can be 2~3 mpg while other CUVs are 0~1 mpg.

Many CX-5 owners know driving in 50~60 mph is the sweet spot for fuel savings. The only problem is it*s getting dangerous driving at that speed on the highway with 75~80 mph speed limits. My highway MPG is only around 28 which is below EPA FE estimate at 30.

It is AWD

FWD or AWD?

The difference on EPA highway MPG between FWD and AWD CX-5 (gen-1) can be 2~3 mpg while other CUVs are 0~1 mpg.

Many CX-5 owners know driving in 50~60 mph is the sweet spot for fuel savings. The only problem is it*s getting dangerous driving at that speed on the highway with 75~80 mph speed limits. My highway MPG is only around 28 which is below EPA FE estimate at 30.

And you are complaining about that? Really? With a completely loaded car - full of stuff in the trunk, 4 people in the car and two bikes on the back, I have been as low at 24-26 on the highway doing 80 MPH. That of course, is almost expected.

All my mileage has been tracked for the last 100,000 miles. I can easily achieve all of Mazda's EPA numbers and this is a in an AWD 2014 GT. And if you go on Fuelly, most people seem to be getting the reported mileage.

He's using his flux capacitor.

I really think the level of stupidity is getting comical. On the CX-9 facebook page, a guy was asking why the inside of his tail pipe had black stuff in it. People here are complaining about their gas mileage dropping at higher speeds, and another guy thinks he can drive 10 mph faster and get to a place (220 miles away) 90 minutes faster.

(headshake

It is AWD
An AWD CX-5 getting 36.1 mpg on the highway is truely impressive no matter what. The best ever highway mpg on my 2016 AWD CX-5 was 30.2 mpg while driving under 70 mph all the way from Houston to Dallas.

An AWD CX-5 getting 36.1 mpg on the highway is truely impressive no matter what. The best ever highway mpg on my 2016 AWD CX-5 was 30.2 mpg while driving under 70 mph all the way from Houston to Dallas.

Very impressive. Wondering how an AWD hit those numbers. Is it the cylinder deactivation? (scratch)

220 miles at 50-65? How did you not stab yourself in the face at those speeds?

I'd gladly pay the exta fuel to get there 60-90 minutes sooner.

60-90 minutes? Gimme some of what you're smoking. We drove from Canada to Ohio this June and over the drive (700miles+) you might be able to shave an hour off your time. That is provided that you never slow down from 70-80 miles an hour, ever. And that's based on a 700 mile trip.

The difference between a 220 mile trip at 60mph and 70mph is 39 minutes.

Math is fun.

And you are complaining about that? Really? With a completely loaded car - full of stuff in the trunk, 4 people in the car and two bikes on the back, I have been as low at 24-26 on the highway doing 80 MPH. That of course, is almost expected.

All my mileage has been tracked for the last 100,000 miles. I can easily achieve all of Mazda's EPA numbers and this is a in an AWD 2014 GT. And if you go on Fuelly, most people seem to be getting the reported mileage.
Complaining? I'm only stating the fact and experience I have on my 2016 AWD CX-5. And I have the same experience with Unobtanium that this's the first vehicle I've ever owned that wouldn't beat EPA numbers on my highway driving. As stated before, my current CR-V、528i、Passat would meet or exceed EPA highway MPG at 75+ mph with the same load、on the same highway、and even in the same season!

People are also ignoring a fact that each vehicle coming out of factory is different on engine efficiency. Some would get better mpg than others with exactly the same driving conditions. A friend of mine was getting average 30+ mpg on his previous 2015 FWD CX-5 as a daily driver to work, but his current 2016.5 FWD CX-5 can only get at most 29 mpg as his diaily driver with exactly the same driving conditions.

Complaining? I'm only stating the fact and experience I have on my 2016 AWD CX-5. And I have the same experience with Unobtanium that this's the first vehicle I've ever owned that wouldn't beat EPA numbers on my highway driving. As stated before, my current CR-V*528i*Passat would meet or exceed EPA highway MPG at 75+ mph with the same load*on the same highway*and even in the same season!

People are also ignoring a fact that each vehicle coming out of factory is different on engine efficiency. Some would get better mpg than others with exactly the same driving conditions. A friend of mine was getting average 30+ mpg on his previous 2015 FWD CX-5 as a daily driver to work, but his current 2016.5 FWD CX-5 can only get at most 29 mpg as his diaily driver with exactly the same driving conditions.

When there is a difference like that...maybe it's the driver, not the conditions... (uhm)

Very impressive. Wondering how an AWD hit those numbers. Is it the cylinder deactivation? (scratch)
Very possible although EPA FE numbers have also reflected the effectiveness of cylinder deactivation with 1 mpg increase.

Very speed dependent on my CX-5... I'll get 36 mpg going 60mph and 29 mpg going 75 mph.

And you dont even drive a Gen 1 which is bigger and bloaty compared to Gen 2. Hypermiling my best highway mpg was 31. FWD 16. In mixed I can hit 28-29 easy.

And you dont even drive a Gen 1 which is bigger and bloaty compared to Gen 2. Hypermiling my best highway mpg was 31. FWD 16. In mixed I can hit 28-29 easy.

Eh? I think you got that backwards as the Gen 2 weighs more and is slower than Gen 1.

Back