SiriusXM Traffic Plus?

Hi all,

Owner of a new CX-5 GTR as of last week, loving it so far. Quick question on SiriusXM capabilities.... I added on Traffic Plus last week, and couldn't get it activated. Long story short, they finally called me back after escalating, SiriusXM said the 21 CX-5 radio that I have is not supported for the "Traffic Plus" add on.

Does it really not work? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

That feature is only available on the Signature trim which includes the Mazda Navigation System. Without the navigation system, the Traffic and Travel Link functionality is not available through Sirius as it integrates into the navigation functions.

I believe you can add the navigation function by purchasing the appropriate Mazda Navigation SD card, but since I have a Signature with it included from the factory I don’t know all the details or if that also enables the additional Sirius functionality.

I purchased a card, heads up and turn by turn works great, I also updated the card. I signed up for the 3 month trial of Travel Link, and also added the Traffic Plus on as well. Sirius is telling me that my head unit will NOT work with Traffic Plus, that there is no way to activate it and it's a Mazda problem.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Sounds like it’s probably tied into the Sirius radio ID which is tied to a VIN with a defined feature set. So it’s a combined Mazda and Sirius issue and probably neither cares enough to help. I’m sure It is possible, since the hardware itself is the same, probably just a matter of changing a flag or parameter in the coding, but unfortunately I don’t believe there are any DIY tools of that type for Mazda and a dealer isn’t likely to be of much assistance either.

Any reason to not use navigation from your smartphone via CarPlay or Android Auto? Chances are it’s better in several ways. I’ve had built in nav in several cars but tend to prefer Google Maps or Waze.

No reason at all, just wanted to try out the factory NAV with the turn by turn on the HUD. I've also run into areas that I've lost cell coverage, so it would be a nice backup. Having said that, I suppose I could just DL the map before I go on a trip :).

Yeah it is nice having the integration to the HUD and having the full map available regardless of cell service. Downloading offline maps is a great tool I use with Google Maps too. Of course it's not always front of mind before embarking on a trip.

I have the same issue. 2020 CX-5 Grand Touring with premium package. I did not have an SD card when I bought the car but I added one later from amazon and navigation works as advertised. Until two days ago traffic worked just fine, 5 minutes update, new route suggested, green lines, red lines for traffic jams, accidents, everything was shown on the map. Two nights ago, while driving, it stopped working. On my Travel Link menu it shows "not subscribed" for Traffic Plus and Parking, everything else is "subscribed". Numerous calls with SiriusXM people did not fix the issue. I was even told that my car is not capable and I told them that's not true since I just had it working until recently. My impression is that those call centre people have no idea about the system. I have .335 firmware and now I'm thinking to try to update to .367, maybe that will fix the problem. Also, Sirius people tried to send refresh signals to my radio unit, still nothing. Any ideas?

Today I've managed to restore Traffic Plus on my car. Somebody from SiriusXM HQ called me and she had to override something on her end. Apparently, although I signed up for Travel Link with Traffic Plus, some dude/dudette set me with Traffic, instead of Traffic Plus. Today the lady from HQ figured that out, made the switch and voila, within seconds Traffic Plus started to work again. So, for those of you that have the same problem, with Traffic Plus not working, ask them to make sure you have Traffic Plus, not Traffic.

Back