Took First Road trip in our 2018 CX-5..36.1 MPG!

:
2018 CX5
Round trip ~220 miles on the highway with speeds of 50-65--> Avg at the end of the trip according to the trip computer was 36.1 MPG.

Has anyone had a chance yet to do a manual calculation in a 2017-2018 to see if the computer is accurate?

I assume that the new feature of cylinder deactivation was helping.

Steve

ps the safety features esp adaptive cruise control all worked very well, and this car is very very quite on the highway..no wind noise at all.

Traded their CRV for a CX-5.

Enjoy your new ride, Nut!

Or more proof that EPA ratings aren't an infallible standard of measurement. ;)

Round trip ~220 miles on the highway with speeds of 50-65--> Avg at the end of the trip according to the trip computer was 36.1 MPG.

Has anyone had a chance yet to do a manual calculation in a 2017-2018 to see if the computer is accurate?

I assume that the new feature of cylinder deactivation was helping.

Steve

ps the safety features esp adaptive cruise control all worked very well, and this car is very very quite on the highway..no wind noise at all.

From what people have said here, computer fuel economy is fairly close to real fuel economy.

Thanks..good to known. When I have more time with it will do the calculation manually and compare.

I have done the comparison between the computer and by figuring out at fill ups. I stop at the first click on the pump. This is over several fills.

The numbers are within a few tenths of each other. The largest difference was 0.6 miles per gallon. It has been around 0.3 mpg as of late. This could very well fall within the normal margin of error taking into account any pump variables etc.

So in my opinion the computer is very close.

220 miles at 50-65? How did you not stab yourself in the face at those speeds?

I'd gladly pay the exta fuel to get there 60-90 minutes sooner.

I've never had any issues meeting the EPA consumption rating since they were updated with the -10%? many years ago. This includes a SAAB, A Volvo at JGC a CX7 and now my CX5. Ed

Uk diesel reads high by around 2.6mpg uk.

Tiguan UK car reads around 1.7mpg high, both cars diesel, not sure why the US version is more accurate, perhaps it the DPF regen that cocks it up.

FWD or AWD?

The difference on EPA highway MPG between FWD and AWD CX-5 (gen-1) can be 2~3 mpg while other CUVs are 0~1 mpg.

Many CX-5 owners know driving in 50~60 mph is the sweet spot for fuel savings. The only problem is its getting dangerous driving at that speed on the highway with 75~80 mph speed limits. My highway MPG is only around 28 which is below EPA FE estimate at 30.

Either way he's got a 2018 according to his user info, so that's either 30 or 31 highway mpg according to the EPA. So 5.1 or 6.1 mpg better than EPA estimates. Maybe that dreaded cylinder deactivation is doing more for fuel economy than is reflected in EPA numbers?

As I read more and more posts about fuel economy in this forum I'm becoming convinced the EPA needs a dual system of sorts. One for cars sold east of the Mississippi and one for cars sold west of it. The EPA constantly seems to be updating something about their tests yet it's always behind the curve. Look at the EPA's detailed test information here: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml
The "High Speed" test gets up to 80 mph only for a brief period of time and only averages 48.4 mph for the 9.9 minute test. That doesn't reflect what many of you in the wide open spaces of the Southwest and West are really doing. Much more reflective of the eastern part of the country however. Of course the the EPA always has it's famous CYA tagline to fall back on ......... your mileage may vary.

FWD or AWD?

The difference on EPA highway MPG between FWD and AWD CX-5 (gen-1) can be 2~3 mpg while other CUVs are 0~1 mpg.

Many CX-5 owners know driving in 50~60 mph is the sweet spot for fuel savings. The only problem is it*s getting dangerous driving at that speed on the highway with 75~80 mph speed limits. My highway MPG is only around 28 which is below EPA FE estimate at 30.

As was stated in another thread, EPA numbers are not for 80 MPH. My highway is also typically around 28, which I am not going to complain about 2 freaking MPG considering my last car was more like 12 MPG. My highway is typically going to be anywhere between 65-90 mph depending on the highway.

I don't honestly see the EPA numbers as being terribly relevant as I am most of the time driving more than 55 MPH when I am on a highway and my city MPG has been pretty inline with 26+. That said, I can hit EPA highway MPG pretty easily if I want to, but I like myself and a loss of 2 MPG is no big deal.

Last edited:
I've never had any issues meeting the EPA consumption rating since they were updated with the -10%? many years ago. This includes a SAAB, A Volvo at JGC a CX7 and now my CX5. Ed

The only one here I can't reach yet is extra urban figure. Probably due to the fact that I would need to refill at a petrol station just off the motorway and then get straight back on.

We are currently sitting at around 6500 miles, after the first 3000 miles we noticed much better mpg. At 3000 miles we were averaging 21.9 lifetime. After the first 3000 miles up to this point we are sitting at around 25.8, this is all hand calculated. Almost 100% city and backcountry driving. I drive 4 miles to work, all city driving with its fair share of light stops, and my wife drives around 18 miles to work between city and backcountry roads. So we take the car on the highway only on the weekends and not really too far. We are taking a road trip pretty soon of close to 200 miles each way, so we'll see how it fares there.

This are my last 3 fuel logs, all pen and paper calculated. BTW, i'm very surprised at how close to real life the car computer calculations are, not only the MPG but the miles to empty. 303 miles/11.4 gallons= 26.5 MPG, 318 miles/12.2 gallons= 26.1 MPG, 285 miles/10.8 gallons=26.3 MPG.

Back