Thinking about 2022 CX-5 Turbo

I'm thinking of buying a 2022 cx5 with turbo engine. Reading the posts in this thread makes me wonder if I should go ahead with my purchase or not. The very reason I'm shopping for a car is my current car has engine issues and so I want to replace it with a reliable car. I don't want to go through another nightmare of having engine issues. I really like cx5 and it checks all my requirements. I thought Mazdas were very reliable. But now I'm not sure if I should get the cx5 or not. Should I get the non-turbo version of cx5 to be on the safer side? Any other thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking of buying a 2022 cx5 with turbo engine. Reading the posts in this thread makes me wonder if I should go ahead with my purchase or not. The very reason I'm shopping for a car is my current car has engine issues and so I want to replace it with a reliable car. I don't want to go through another nightmare of having engine issues. I really like cx5 and it checks all my requirements. I thought Mazdas were very reliable. But now I'm not sure if I should get the cx5 or not. Should I get the non-turbo version of cx5 to be on the safer side? Any other thoughts?
NA version will be more reliable due to less parts to break. Turbo version was beefed up in 2021 so no more coolant leak. I believe some of the new turbos have an oil leak problem though. Dead reliable = 2.5NA. More fun and maybe less reliable = 2.5T. I bought mine when my previous vehicle was having a coolant leak problem so I understand where you’re coming from

NA version will be more reliable due to less parts to break. Turbo version was beefed up in 2021 so no more coolant leak. I believe some of the new turbos have an oil leak problem though. Dead reliable = 2.5NA. More fun and maybe less reliable = 2.5T. I bought mine when my previous vehicle was having a coolant leak problem so I understand where you’re coming from
Don't forget the NA has cylinder deactivation which is a problem. However the turbo cracked head issue has been rectified and buying a 2022 should be a non issue.

Nothing is absolute. There are plenty of 2.5T owners (CX-9, CX-5, CX-30, Mazda6, Mazda3) who have not had any issues with their engine. Plenty of newer 2.5NA owners with no CD issues. This isn't to say that these issues should be ignored, it's just to say that the reports on this forum represent a small sample of actual owners.

A TSB is available for the 2.5T engine coolant issue, and a TSB also exists for the potential engine oil consumption issue in the 21+ models. A TSB for the CD issue was issued a couple of years ago. While these issues can be a potential concern, Mazda has acknowledged them, which means getting support for these issues in the future should be easier. There are some other well-known brands with issues that were/are just as bad, if not worse, than what we see on our forums, but those manufacturers have a history of burying their heads in the sand. Everything has issues if you dig deep enough.

IMO. If you choose to go with the CX-5, the 2022 should be a pretty safe bet. There are much worse problems than having to top up your engine oil once in a while (if you have an oil consumption issue). Mazda's cars aren't perfect, nor do they hold the title of "most reliable". They do tend to rank very high in reliability, right up there with Toyota and Lexus. Their interiors receive a lot of praise, same goes for handling/driving experience (but that's kind of a given with Mazda). My $0.02.

⋯ I'm shopping for a car is my current car has engine issues and so I want to replace it with a reliable car. I don't want to go through another nightmare of having engine issues.
You have to decide the priority for a car selection when you want to purchase one. Nothing is perfect especially the vehicle is getting very complicated nowadays. If you want the most reliable vehicle available on the market, you still need to decide an area which is more reliable. A failed powertrain which needs a major work usually is expensive to fix and you can’t live without it. A failed infotainment system can also be expensive to fix, but you can live without it, or you can get a cheaper aftermarket unit to replace.

If you want a most reliable engine for your next purchase, I’d say current engines featured by Mazda on CX-5, the 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation, and the 2.5T, both have their issues. Many TSBs have been issued for both engines, and a fallen rocker arm recall has been issued for the 2.5L NA with CD. Most problem areas on both engines have been modified since these TSBs been issued, but are these problem areas really got fixed in the long run? Only time can tell.

If I really have to choose a 2022 CX-5, I personally would consider a 2.5T over a 2.5L NA with CD, as historically cylinder deactivation is having too many problems and some of them simply can’t be overcome due to the deficiencies by CD’s design principle.

⋯ A TSB is available for the 2.5T engine coolant issue, and a TSB also exists for the potential engine oil consumption issue in the 21+ models. A TSB for the CD issue was issued a couple of years ago. While these issues can be a potential concern, Mazda has acknowledged them, which means getting support for these issues in the future should be easier.
Other than a rocker arm fallen recall on the 2.5L with cylinder deactivation, there’re plenty of TSBs keep coming out by Mazda to fix CD related problems mainly on switchable hydraulic lash adjusters (HLAs) used exclusively on the CD engine. There’s a Service Alert created for a new part number only for easy replacement on cylinder head with every valve components pre-installed. I would only say the 2.5L without cylinder deactivation which is no longer available in the US is a pretty reliable engine.

Service Alert No.: SA-012/19 Last Issued: 11/22/2019 - VALVE TAPPING OR KNOCKING NOISE HEARD FROM CYLINDER HEAD

TSB No.: 01-006/20 Last Issued: 11/04/2020 - TAPPING NOISE FROM ENGINE

Service Alert No.: SA-031/21 NEW CYLINDER HEAD ASSEMBLY ESTABLISHED

TSB No.: 05-002/20 SURGING AT LOW SPEEDS AND DURING ACCELERATION

And the cylinder head could crack and leaking oil on the 2.5L NA with CD too. This’s confirmed even by a mechanic from a Mazda dealer although we haven’t seen a related TSB from Mazda yet.

Cracked Cylinder Head with Oil leaking...How common is this?

I would only say the 2.5L without cylinder deactivation which is no longer available in the US is a pretty reliable engine.

In US Market:

For those basic engines without CD or turbo are we looking at the following on CX-5:

2014-2017 for the 2.5L ?

2013-2016.5 for the 2.0L ?

Thanks for all the replies. I was actually shopping for a Toyota car. Never ever thought I would be interested in Mazda. It was not in my radar at all. Did a bit of research to find that Mazda had a high reliability too. And cx5 had everything I wanted (reliability, quietness, good sound system and ride comfort though not the best). While doing more digging in, I found this thread and got a bit disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go with the Mazda, you won't regret it and it is WAY more fun to drive than boring Toyota, and just a reliable.
With current potential engine problems (especially the cracked cylinder head) been reported on the 2.5L NA with CD and the 2.5T, I wouldn’t consider that CX’s by Mazda are just as reliable as Toyota on powertrain.

And I’d also be concerned on this oil consumption issue for 2021 2.5T where Mazda hasn’t been able to give an answer yet.

TSB No.: 01-012/21 CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON WITH DTC P250F:00 DUE TO LOW ENGINE OIL LEVEL

Low Engine Oil Warning Light on new CX-5

2021 CX-9 burning oil

You have to decide the priority for a car selection when you want to purchase one. Nothing is perfect especially the vehicle is getting very complicated nowadays. If you want the most reliable vehicle available on the market, you still need to decide an area which is more reliable. A failed powertrain which needs a major work usually is expensive to fix and you can’t live without it. A failed infotainment system can also be expensive to fix, but you can live without it, or you can get a cheaper aftermarket unit to replace.

If you want a most reliable engine for your next purchase, I’d say current engines featured by Mazda on CX-5, the 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation, and the 2.5T, both have their issues. Many TSBs have been issued for both engines, and a fallen rocker arm recall has been issued for the 2.5L NA with CD. Most problem areas on both engines have been modified since these TSBs been issued, but are these problem areas really got fixed in the long run? Only time can tell.

If I really have to choose a 2022 CX-5, I personally would consider a 2.5T over a 2.5L NA with CD, as historically cylinder deactivation is having too many problems and some of them simply can’t be overcome due to the deficiencies by CD’s design principle.

With current potential engine problems (especially the cracked cylinder head) been reported on the 2.5L NA with CD and the 2.5T, I wouldn’t consider that CX’s by Mazda are just as reliable as Toyota on powertrain.

And I’d also be concerned on this oil consumption issue for 2021 2.5T where Mazda hasn’t been able to give an answer yet.

I thought you said all cars have issues but if I want to choose I can go with cx5 turbo but now you're saying that it's better to not to get cx5 at all! You have valid points but being new here I'm not able to gauge how much of a risk it is to go with cx5.

Anyone has suggestions on alternatives to cx5? I want reliability, quite interior and smooth ride (and possibly good audio).

Go with the CX-5. You will have all of those things you desire. Don't get fooled by the Toyota/Honda hype. Their quality has been slipping for several years and they DO have problems. People think they are the manufacturer of yesteryear with their proclaimed reliability. No so anymore and are banking on brand recognition and loyalty for sales. The best built vehicles are those made in Japan. Period. Just do it, get the turbo and smile while drive by all the boring wannabees out there.

I thought you said all cars have issues but if I want to choose I can go with cx5 turbo but now you're saying that it's better to not to get cx5 at all! You have valid points but being new here I'm not able to gauge how much of a risk it is to go with cx5.

Anyone has suggestions on alternatives to cx5? I want reliability, quite interior and smooth ride (and possibly good audio).
My point was if you really like the CX-5, and are willing to take some risk of potential problems on both engines featured on the CX-5, you should choose the one with the 2.5T. Mazda at least had taken some steps to correct cracked cylinder head issue on the 2.5T, but we don’t know if Mazda has found the culprit of the cracked cylinder head issue on the 2.5L NA with CD. The oil consumption issue on the 2.5T seems to be caused by revised valve stem seal but Mazda haven’t said that’s the root cause of the problem and will need further investigation. The oil consumption problem on the 2.5T should get resolved eventually but really we don’t know if the possible fix has been applied to the new 2.5T on the 2022 CX-5.

IMO, if you’re really concerned on engine reliability and have been experiencing one currently, you should aware these potential issues going on on CX-5’s and you just have to make the decision by yourself based on all informations you can get, good or bad. Like I said, nothing is perfect.

IMO, if you’re really concerned on engine reliability and have been experiencing one currently, you should aware these potential issues going on on CX-5’s and you just have to make the decision by yourself based on all informations you can get, good or bad. Like I said, nothing is perfect.
Thank you. What you've shared were very helpful. After reading those threads (links provided by you) I'm having second thoughts of buying a cx5. I really don't want to go through the pain of taking the car multiple times to the dealer and worrying about persistent issues. I really liked Venza but it was not quiet as I wanted it to be. I'm hesitant on the Highlander because it's a bit larger but I'm still going to test drive it to see how quiet it is. If you have any recommendations on a quiet and reliable (engine and related parts) SUV, please let me know. Thanks.

Thank you. What you've shared were very helpful. After reading those threads (links provided by you) I'm having second thoughts of buying a cx5. I really don't want to go through the pain of taking the car multiple times to the dealer and worrying about persistent issues. I really liked Venza but it was not quiet as I wanted it to be. I'm hesitant on the Highlander because it's a bit larger but I'm still going to test drive it to see how quiet it is. If you have any recommendations on a quiet and reliable (engine and related parts) SUV, please let me know. Thanks.
If you spend enough time digging, you’ll find dirt on every vehicle except maybe the Land Cruiser, 4Runner, and GX. No vehicle is going to be perfect and there will be some TSBs and potential large issues with every single one. If there aren’t, then that vehicle hasn’t been around long enough. If you like the CX-5, just buy it. Lexus, Mazda, Toyota are top three for reliability; no need to overthink it

Edit: this is also getting way off topic for this thread. Should probably move to a different thread if we are discussing purchase options and potential issues

^^ Exactly. Too much overthinking. The CX-5 is an awesome vehicle and does not need to be analyzed as if it were a GM, Ford or Fiat product or any euro/Korean/Chinese brand. Those products are utter trash. You will not find a better vehicle for the money in every aspect. Do it and enjoy

Back