Thinking about 2022 CX-5 Turbo

Don't forget the NA has cylinder deactivation which is a problem. However the turbo cracked head issue has been rectified and buying a 2022 should be a non issue.

Actually, has that really been an issue? Compared with the 2.5T issues, the NA CD seem like nothing.

FWIW, both my brothers have NA CX-5s. I thought one was at 70k but he’s only at 60k. Other one is at 80k. No issues on either. I know that doesn’t help much, but we have 3 Mazdas in the family all no issues. Just get the Mazda

Thank you. What you've shared were very helpful. After reading those threads (links provided by you) I'm having second thoughts of buying a cx5. I really don't want to go through the pain of taking the car multiple times to the dealer and worrying about persistent issues. I really liked Venza but it was not quiet as I wanted it to be. I'm hesitant on the Highlander because it's a bit larger but I'm still going to test drive it to see how quiet it is. If you have any recommendations on a quiet and reliable (engine and related parts) SUV, please let me know. Thanks.
What is your current vehicle which is having engine issues?

I actually planned to get a new 2018 CX-5 then but once I realized Mazda started to add cylinder deactivation in the 2.5L NA I immediately canceled my plan as I dislike the CD in theory since 1980’s. Based on series of recall and TSBs for the 2.5L NA with CD, I can say my concerns are correct and I’m glad I didn’t get another CX-5 and kept worrying about possible CD problems in the long run as I always keep my vehicle for as long as I can. I eventually got an almost new (2,500 miles) 2018 Toyota Yaris iA instead which is a Mazda2 in disguise.

As the gas price is getting higher and higher, my next new vehicle will be a Hybrid or PHEV. I was looking into Toyota Venza for a while as it’s made in Japan, the idea only got postponed due to the high demand on the vehicle which jacks up the price even higher in current market. And Venza has hybrid version only without plug-in.

My current target is the new Lexus NX 450h+ AWD which is a PHEV. It has 304 total system horsepower, but 84 EPA-estimated MPGe. 6.0 sec. 0 - 60 is good enough although I don’t really need it. NX 450h+ FSport Handling AWD is nice but I don’t really need any sport package either.

I actually planned to get a new 2018 CX-5 then but once I realized Mazda started to add cylinder deactivation in the 2.5L NA I immediately canceled my plan as I dislike the CD in theory since 1980’s. Based on series of recall and TSBs for the 2.5L NA with CD, I can say my concerns are correct and I’m glad I didn’t get another CX-5 and kept worrying about possible CD problems in the long run as I always keep my vehicle for as long as I can. I eventually got an almost new (2,500 miles) 2018 Toyota Yaris iA instead which is a Mazda2 in disguise.

As the gas price is getting higher and higher, my next new vehicle will be a Hybrid or PHEV. I was looking into Toyota Venza for a while as it’s made in Japan, the idea only got postponed due to the high demand on the vehicle which jacks up the price even higher in current market. And Venza has hybrid version only without plug-in.

My current target is the new Lexus NX 450h+ AWD which is a PHEV. It has 304 total system horsepower, but 84 EPA-estimated MPGe. 6.0 sec. 0 - 60 is good enough although I don’t really need it. NX 450h+ FSport Handling AWD is nice but I don’t really need any sport package either.
Good luck on getting a PHEV. Almost all Japanese and Korean models will be extremely scarce all year. Many models have their entire 2022 production sold out (RAV4 prime, Santa Fe PHEV.)

I’ve given up on a PHEV, which my wife would prefer. Suitable incoming Ioniq 5 LTD AWD’s became unexpectedly available so I snatched up one for me and one for my daughter for good measure. My reward is finding an electrician for both garages.

Good luck on getting a PHEV. Almost all Japanese and Korean models will be extremely scarce all year. Many models have their entire 2022 production sold out (RAV4 prime, Santa Fe PHEV.)

I’ve given up on a PHEV, which my wife would prefer. Suitable incoming Ioniq 5 LTD AWD’s became unexpectedly available so I snatched up one for me and one for my daughter for good measure. My reward is finding an electrician for both garages.
Yes currently even the basic hybrid such as Toyota Prius is hard to find, not to mention the PHEV such as Prius Prime or RAV4 Prime. Wife always wants a Lexus, so either NX 350h hybrid or NX 450h+ PHEV is something we keep looking for.

I still have doubt on a pure EV such as Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited AWD you just got. Brother in California has a Chevy Bolt and it can be a nice second car for city use only. The only reason he got it at the time is the very reasonable price after all the incentives and rebates. He still keeps a Mazda5 for any road trips whenever needed. The range has always been the problem for the EV, and the time to charge it up also is a major issue to me. Have seen too many videos that people are waiting in a very long line at the charging station on I-5 during holiday season.

I still have doubt on a pure EV such as Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited AWD you just got. Brother in California has a Chevy Bolt and it can be a nice second car for city use only. The only reason he got it at the time is the very reasonable price after all the incentives and rebates. He still keeps a Mazda5 for any road trips whenever needed. The range has always been the problem for the EV, and the time to charge it up also is a major issue to me. Have seen too many videos that people are waiting in a very long line at the charging station on I-5 during holiday season.
Gotta agree with all points you raised. We’ll be keeping our CX-5 for road trips (especially winter ones where batteries underperform) and snow days with the Blizzaks.

Hopefully the already-passed infrastructure bill will improve the number of charging stations faster than EV growth. Ioniq 5 has very fast charging - 10 ->80% in 18 minutes IF you can find an available 800v/350kw charger. Two free years at ChargePoint (?) certainly sweetened the deal. There are 2 nearby stations, one of which is a mile from a rink my grandsons play hockey at.

It's a Sonata. I just sold it.

If you didn't want to get a 2.5L, wonder why you didn't consider 2.5 Turbo.

I ordered my CX-5 non-Turbo exactly two weeks ago after doing a lot of research. As others mentioned, every single car on the market has issues. That's why you have a warranty.
Regarding the engine issues (2.5NA and 2.5T), I believe Mazda already did some modifications to prevent them from happening. They shouldn't happen on the 2022 models, especially after a facelift. (Should being the keyword)
IMO Turbos and cylinder deactivation are going to be around for as long as internal combustion engines exist, and they get perfected over time.
Why did I not get the Turbo? Because honestly the top naturally aspirated trim had everything I wanted (and more), and the power gain wasn't that big of a deal for me. 227hp instead 187 doesn't seem like a huge bump to me; and as I don't see myself filling it up with 91, I would never get 260hp. (I drove the NA and the Turbo)
I was really interested in a Santa Fe PHEV, and the rep told me he could get me one in 3 months (in Canada). RAV4 Prime is crazy scarce though.

⋯ IMO Turbos and cylinder deactivation are going to be around for as long as internal combustion engines exist, and they get perfected over time.
No, not all car manufactures use cylinder deactivation on their ICEs, especially for an already relatively fuel efficient 4-cylinder engines. Toyota hasn’t offer one, and Honda has it only on its V6 (which has also experienced many issues and even the class-action lawsuit).

If you read the history of turbo and cylinder deactivation, turbo indeed keeps improving over time with better material and cooling in extremely hot environment. The theory itself is sound but the problem has always been the reliability and longevity due to the extreme heat that the turbo charger is running under.

On the other hand, cylinder deactivation has always been a failure due to the design principle which is problematic. How do you make an idea of “variable displacement” to be a practical product that’s a big question. There is always the big overhead, such as redundant components when running in smaller displacement which will drag down the engine performance and efficiency. Specifically the idling pistons in disabled cylinders require extra power to move, and compress the air in disabled and sealed cylinders. That’s why you can never get 50% better fuel efficiency when the engine with CD is running 50% of the displacement. The change of thermal effect between enabled and disabled mode in cylinders and pistons are huge, which is a big challenge on materials used for longevity. Worse, the complexity on valve train has increased dramatically with variable valve timing, which also affects its reliability.

Cylinder deactivation simply can’t be successful for fuel saving purpose because the principle is flawed, and the effect is very minimum! The 2.5L NA with CD on CX-5 saved merely 0~1 mpg based on EPA fuel economy ratings. As a 4-cylinder ICE like the SkyActiv-G 2.5L NA, CD shouldn’t be implemented by Mazda at the first place which has been nothing but headaches for almost no benefit on fuel efficiency.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever heard of a mazda 2.5 turbo failure when run in oem configuration? Its been out for 6+ years...
Yes, cracked cylinder head with coolant leak for those with 40K miles or more although it’s not the turbo charger itself:

Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement

2.5T Engine Coolant Leaking TSB

And oil consumption issue on 2021 2.5T and Mazda hasn’t officially figured it out yet:

2021 CX-9 burning oil

Low Engine Oil Warning Light on new CX-5

QTSB No.: 01-012/21 Check Engine Light On with DTC P250F:00 Due to Low Engine Oil

Last edited:
Yes, cracked cylinder head with coolant leak for those with 40K miles or more although it’s not the turbo charger itself:

Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement

2.5T Engine Coolant Leaking TSB

And oil consumption issue on 2021 2.5T and Mazda hasn’t officially figured it out yet:

2021 CX-9 burning oil

Low Engine Oil Warning Light on new CX-5

QTSB No.: 01-012/21 Check Engine Light On with DTC P250F:00 Due to Low Engine Oil
This is not s turbo issue. People point to a turbo as an issue. I have yet to see a failure from one on the 2.5T mazda. What you referenced are failures of other components, also not caused by a turbo, but rather bad assembly or design of that specific item.

This is not s turbo issue. People point to a turbo as an issue. I have yet to see a failure from one on the 2.5T mazda. What you referenced are failures of other components, also not caused by a turbo, but rather bad assembly or design of that specific item.
Yes, cracked head isn’t a turbo failure, nor related directly to the turbo, but the cylinder head for the 2.5T is based on the original head from the 2.5L NA and modified it. Somehow the modification had created some weak area near exhaust ports which caused cracks after certain miles.

Yes, cracked head isn’t a turbo failure, nor related directly to the turbo, but the cylinder head for the 2.5T is based on the original head from the 2.5L NA and modified it. Somehow the modification had created some weak area near exhaust ports which caused cracks after certain miles.
This is not cause to distrust turbos. Just be leery of first production years of anything. Mirror motors come to mind...
Screenshot_20220127-000806_Chrome.jpg

This is not cause to distrust turbos. Just be leery of first production years of anything. Mirror motors come to mind...View attachment 307056
Ha, power folding mirror failures ⋯

That problem has been going on for years even after many revisions and TSBs “world wide” since 2012 by Mazda on CX-5!

I suggest Mazda simply just get power folding mirrors from the same vender used by Lexus / Toyota may be for higher cost ⋯ ;)

Back