Still Like Your CX-5 Reserve

Hello,
I'm new here. I'm coming from a 2017 Honda Civic Sedan Touring.

My previous cars were SUVs and it might be nice to get back into an AWD one. I'm looking at a 2019 CX-5 Reserve.

Do you still like yours after having it for a little bit? I see a few pluses and minuses vs my Civic.

The center head unit displays are both supposed to be 7 inches, but the Honda's seems larger. Do you find it big enough? Is the navigation usable?

It certainly is nice getting 30 mpg in the Honda. Do you get decent mileage in the CX-5?

A nice surprise I found in the Honda was that it has remote start built-in. That helps on those snowy mornings. Does the CX-5 have this by any chance?

I have seen people mention that the Lane Keeping Assist on the CX-5 and Civic are slightly different. The Honda will pretty much steer down the road by itself with your hands only touching the steering wheel. I've seen posts that say the CX-5 Lane Keeping Assist is more oriented toward warning you that you are veering outside your Lane. Is this true or are they actually both pretty similar?

Does the CX-5 leather wear well? Is it comfortable? Is the car more like driving a sports car or a tugboat?

I read about people pocket-pressing the buttons on the CX-5 key fob. Is this a problem?

Barry.

Last edited:
We have had our Reserve for a couple of months now and still like it a lot. The center head display seems big enough and the navigation system is easy to use (press voice button and say the address) it will give you voice instructions and turn by turn on the heads up display, which is one of my favorite features.

Because it is a turbo it is closer to 24 or 25 mpg. I don't believe it has remote start, but Mazda mobile start through your phone can be added, but there is a yearly subscription fee.

Mazda's Lane Keep Assist is very different from Honda's. If you start to drift out of your lane you will get a warning (beep, wheel vibration, or rumble depending on your setting). If you continue to drift, the car will gently apply steering back toward the lane. It is a true assist system, you need to be attentive. I have found it useful but it is note lane centering which has its pros and cons.

So far, the seats are comfortable enough (although I would like the leather to be softer) but I have not gone on a long trip yet. All in all we are very happy with the car.

Hello,

My previous cars were SUVs and it might be nice to get back into an AWD one. I'm looking at a 2019 CX-5 Reserve.

Do you still like yours after having it for a little bit? I see a few pluses and minuses vs my Civic.
Yes, although I kindof sortof wish I had gotten the Signature. Mainly because "top of the line". I don't have any functional reason for having wanted it, and I dislike the dark headliner in it, but...emotions/ego? That's my only quibble, and I bet if I'd gotten the Signature, I'd be hating on the headliner or something dumb and wishing I'd gone GTR.
The center head unit displays are both supposed to be 7 inches, but the Honda's seems larger. Do you find it big enough? Is the navigation usable?
The screen is a bit small, but it works fine, and NAV instructions get thrown up on the HUD, which is better than any screen away from the road.
It certainly is nice getting 30 mpg in the Honda. Do you get decent mileage in the CX-5?
My lifetime average (over 12K miles) is sitting at 25.9mpg. I can live with that.
A nice surprise I found in the Honda was that it has remote start built-in. That helps on those snowy mornings. Does the CX-5 have this by any chance?
Sadly no, and integration by the dealer with Mazda's seems a bit...spotty. It's a feature you will miss.
I have seen people mention that the Lane Keeping Assist on the CX-5 and Civic are slightly different. The Honda will pretty much steer down the road by itself with your hands only touching the steering wheel. I've seen posts that say the CX-5 Lane Keeping Assist is more oriented toward warning you that you are veering outside your Lane. Is this true or are they actually both pretty similar?
Your understanding is correct, and I've found the lane assist/warning to be MIA sometimes even when road markings are clear. It's not very well executed, which is kindof shocking to me, considering how well executed every other feature is. Maybe I'm misunderstanding/doing it wrong.

Does the CX-5 leather wear well? Is it comfortable? Is the car more like driving a sports car or a tugboat?
I don't know how the leather wears. Too new to tell. I find it comfortable. I like the handling and am very pleased with it. My past vehicles include a few pony cars (LS1, LT1 F-bodies, and a 5.0 Foxbody), as well as a C6 Z06 and 370Z. The CX5 GTR keeps me entertained. Friend of mine has a Maserati Ghilbi SQ4, and I gave him a ride in my CX5 and he remarked that it handled well and had more punch than he expected. He was in love with the interior, and rightly so, for $90K, the Maserati wasn't as nice as the CX5 GTR interior in any way except the suede headliner and 8.4" UConnect screen.
I read about people pocket-pressing the buttons on the CX-5 key fob. Is this a problem?
No.
Barry.

Replies in red. However, I would ask...if a Civic will do...why would you buy an SUV/CUV? What is your purpose in it? I personally would have a sports car if I didn't need the ground clearance and AWD.

Hello,

I got my GTR in February. Just turned 11,000 miles and have loved every one of them.

7" Screen is fine for me. Nav is usable but I prefer Carplay and Waze for guidance.

I'm at ~~27.5 mpg for most every tankful. I'm happy with that, but I came from an 18mpg Jeep.

Remote Start is a dealer installed option. Mine has it and works perfectly.

LKA is a warning only. It will not self center in the lane.

11,000mi and the interior still looks like new. I find the seats quite comfortable, but YMMV.
It handles and drives amazingly well. You'll see when you test drive one!

Has not happened to me yet.

Barry.

We have had our Reserve for a couple of months now and still like it a lot. The center head display seems big enough and the navigation system is easy to use (press voice button and say the address) it will give you voice instructions and turn by turn on the heads up display, which is one of my favorite features.

Because it is a turbo it is closer to 24 or 25 mpg. I don't believe it has remote start, but Mazda mobile start through your phone can be added, but there is a yearly subscription fee.

Mazda's Lane Keep Assist is very different from Honda's. If you start to drift out of your lane you will get a warning (beep, wheel vibration, or rumble depending on your setting). If you continue to drift, the car will gently apply steering back toward the lane. It is a true assist system, you need to be attentive. I have found it useful but it is note lane centering which has its pros and cons.

So far, the seats are comfortable enough (although I would like the leather to be softer) but I have not gone on a long trip yet. All in all we are very happy with the car.

I didn't know you could use a voice command for navigation. Entering an address in manually is painful.

Hello,

Yes, we love it. The turbo gives it excellent acceleration without any turbo lag and the handling is very crisp.

The entire infotainment system is still pretty primitive. NAV included.

25 MPG averaged over about 5k mi. Rural, city but not much stop and go commuting.

No clue. I've never had a need for remote start. Steering wheel heat comes on instantly and seat heat isn't far behind.

Yes, Mazda lane departure system is a warning. You can choose what form of warning you want or don't want.

Too soon to tell on the NAPA Leather. It sure feels nice. (better then typical OEM leather).

It's a "drivers" car. (fun, spirited and extremely competent.) My only beef is the tiny fuel tank and short driving range.

I didn't know you could use a voice command for navigation. Entering an address in manually is painful.

Press the voice button on left side of steering wheel counsel and a menu comes up on information screen allowing you to enter an address, make a phone call, change the music station, etc by voice control.

Nappa leather doesnt exist, per se. Its just a marketing term.

Pretty much, but shouldn't be dismissed. The Nappa in our Sig is basically the same as the semi aniline in my Lexus. They are a higher grade leather that is softer and color stained throughout.

Pretty much, but shouldn't be dismissed. The Nappa in our Sig is basically the same as the semi aniline in my Lexus. They are a higher grade leather that is softer and color stained throughout.

I'm curious how it does vs. non Nappa in the long run. I like my non Nappa just fine, but the real kicker for me will be which ages best.

OMG. I*m at the dealer getting the rocker arm recall handled for my mother in laws CX5. To kill some time I test drove a 2019 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Reserve with the turbo. I*m in love. Having had a CX5 since 2012, I find myself liking the sedan form factor again. Might be making a move this year to an area with fun roads to drive and I think a car vs CUV might be a strong option to consider for a livelier experience.

I can imagine the CX5 would be a blast to drive with this drivetrain too.

Last edited:
Pretty much the same. Only thing that bugs me is the small fuel tank. Haven*t tried premium fuel yet but turbo is great and plenty of power for the car.

Back