Shadow102's RX7 NA build thread

Well good news and bad news

Good news is that i got my RB presilencer on and it definatly helped in the lower/cruising RPMs like a typical rotary it gets loud up top which is how i like it.

The bad news is that something in my exhaust is majorly not right. The catback does not line up a straight shot to my header. I have no idea why though. Even after putting the turbo presilencer on there is about a 6 inch gap between the header and the end of the presilencer however to line them up i have to push it all over about 4 inches. This leads me to the problem that the exhaust tip rests on the bumper, the exhaust has zero give in it, and its a huge pain in the ass to try to put together. I am getting to my wits end with it being like this and will probably saying screw it and either buying a RB true dual or buying a corksport head and resonator

awwwww, look at my old rims, i miss them, and i know who you bought them from!! oh well the car looks good with them!

hey i see you have a single exhaust... wana trade for my dual exhaust? let me know.. or txt me at 404 918 7470 names Roger, i also work on RX7's, and nothing but RX7's!!

Not much of progress lately. Just picked up my carbide aluminum cutting bits from snap-on....gonna be paying for those for a bit but I will get lots of use out of them. Also got my o2 out of the stock mani going to lengthen the wire today so I can put it back in the exhaust.

Still waiting on my lamco sandwich plate so I can put my gauges in...dude at work keeps forgeting to bring it in.

Been having some serious thoughts to picking up a s5 coupe shell and swaping my engine and such into it, the vert is nice but the coupe just looks so much better and less issues to deal with.

And made a list last night for the g/f....bday and annaversary are coming up and I need suspension parts lol.

I bought my carbide bits from Walmart and 1 bit lasted me through all 3 irons when I did my porting..

sounds like u will have some fun.. just go slow. a good port is better then larger ports.

I bought my carbide bits from Walmart and 1 bit lasted me through all 3 irons when I did my porting..

sounds like u will have some fun.. just go slow. a good port is better then larger ports.

Yeah when I go to do my engine I will be getting some cheaper cast iron bits.

And yeah I have had a lot of practice with porting. One of my projects at wyotech was porting a set of SHO heads and flow benching them. Made some good cfm upgrades throughout the range with them.

Well more non productive updates. After speaking with aMaff he is donating a spare miata trans to one of my other projects. I am going to be putting a miata gearset into a rx7 case. The downside to this is I get a taller 1st gear the upside is I get a shorter 2,3,4,5 gears. Seeing as this will never be a drag car sounds good to to me. Besides having to modify the input shaft this seems to be a bolt in affair but so far I gotta do a little more research into it.

IMO its a waste of time.. shorter gears in an FC is not what u want.. you are going to want to use that power band to your advantage..

I would not wast the time or money on doing anything like that for a street car.

Staying in the power band is the point of the swap though. It will keep the rpm's up so power will be more accesible. Also with the elimination of 5/6 actuation I am going to need something to stay up there. It will probably go very nicely whenever I pick up a 4.3 diff

well O2 sensor is back on the car finally see how my fuel mileage is effected now.

Lower intake mani is almost done being ported i will post pics tomorrow as i should have some free time at work

Lastly i got sick and tired of waiting for the guy at work to bring in the oil filter sandwich plate so i just ordered a BLOX unit...only $35 shipped from their site so i ended up paying less in the long run...almost had my hands on a RB unit but the guy sold it out from under me, i dunno if its just me but seems fairly common since i have been dealing with the rx7 crowd. (wedge)

Just now looked at this thread (sorry). Looks good though. Checked out the exhaust video, I bet the neighbors just loved you in the morning hours. Hell, they don't need an alarm clock, they have an RX-7 driver for a neighbor.

Its not that bad now thankfully at lower RPM's i dont kill the neighborhood, that and the car only gets driven to work once a week maybe on around on weekends.

Got some little things done today removed the extra pulleys off the main pulley, i know undertand why aluminum pulleys are pointless there isnt alot of savings there. Going to order a dual alt. pulley so i can yank the airpump again. Also pulled the studs from the water pump pulley area just to clean it up.

Finished porting the LIM yesterday at work and its sitting in the hot tank all weekend hopefully to clean all the junk off of it.

Got pics of the grounding kit i installed a couple weekends ago and of how i am mounting my gauges. Also a vid of the car reving and the gauges starting up.

Exhaust Rev

Cyberdyne gauges

DSCF2297.JPG

DSCF2298.JPG

DSCF2301.JPG

Good luck with the vert. Top down at 8k rpm is always fun. (Almost keeps me from wanting a coupe)

Anyway delivery confirmation puts my blox sandwich plate in my hands on saturday. Also keeping my fingers crossed but looks like I am going saturday to pick up a clutch type lsd out of an 88.

Also going to finally pull my steering rack on sunday so I can depower it fully on monday.

good good... clutch type LSD FTW..
I would prefer to do a manual rack swap if I was you instead of the broken power rack mod.

The thing with the rack is that its free, I will have a faster ratio with a depowered rack, and essentially with the internal seals removed its the exact same as a manual rack. Yeah the steering will be heavier just because of the different ratio but its a worthwhile tradeoff.

The thing with the rack is that its free, I will have a faster ratio with a depowered rack, and essentially with the internal seals removed its the exact same as a manual rack. Yeah the steering will be heavier just because of the different ratio but its a worthwhile tradeoff.

I was just going to recommend that but you have your bases covered, RE: removing the internal seals. The miatas are the same way, pop the seals out and grease everything up and it just becomes a quicker-rack manual.

Back