Resuming Playback with 2014 CX-5 GT Tech Stereo and other issues

This is a somewhat more complicated than many believe. The software package was developed by the audio software division of Johnson Controls. Johnson Controls sold this division last year. I don't know if the software engineers went to the buyer or stayed with Johnson Controls. I don't know if the buyer purchased the "problems", like this, and is obligated to develop a fix. I don't know if the fix has become a fight between the buyer and Johnson Controls. It would seem whoever has the original software engineers is in the best position to develop a fix. But, they might not have obligation or desire to come up with a fix. Mazda might even have to pay someone to develop a fix because Johnson Controls might be leaving Mazda hanging. I also don't know how much source code is being shared.

This is the "perfect storm". The original supplier, and the best company to develop a fix, sold the division responsible for the original software. If this wasn't specifically addressed in the purchase contract, and no one is willing to step up and assume responsibility for a fix, then Mazda is left holding the bag. Mazda might have to eat the costs of a fix, and they might be pricey and lengthy if there's no cooperation from the original software developers.

This is a somewhat more complicated than many believe. The software package was developed by the audio software division of Johnson Controls. Johnson Controls sold this division last year. I don't know if the software engineers went to the buyer or stayed with Johnson Controls. I don't know if the buyer purchased the "problems", like this, and is obligated to develop a fix. I don't know if the fix has become a fight between the buyer and Johnson Controls. It would seem whoever has the original software engineers is in the best position to develop a fix. But, they might not have obligation or desire to come up with a fix. Mazda might even have to pay someone to develop a fix because Johnson Controls might be leaving Mazda hanging. I also don't know how much source code is being shared.

This is the "perfect storm". The original supplier, and the best company to develop a fix, sold the division responsible for the original software. If this wasn't specifically addressed in the purchase contract, and no one is willing to step up and assume responsibility for a fix, then Mazda is left holding the bag. Mazda might have to eat the costs of a fix, and they might be pricey and lengthy if there's no cooperation from the original software developers.

Hmmm...interesting. Like others, I've moved past this issue. It sucks, but this('14 Mazda6 with same audio) is the best Mazda I've purchased (it's my 13th) so far: It's solid as a rock and drives exceptional imo. I've been using MP3 cd's, and they do hold a lot of music. I just upgraded to a samsung galaxy s4, and am going to go bluetooth music if that works ok. Not the best, but it's ok. Hopefully Mazda can fix the issues.

Last edited:

Hmmm...interesting. Like others, I've moved past this issue. It sucks, but this is the best Mazda (the '14 mazda 6) I've purchased (it's my 13th) so far: It's solid as a rock and drives exceptional imo. Oh, should note I have the '14 mazda 6 GT with same audio system. I've been using MP3 cd's, and they do hold a lot of music. I just upgraded to a samsung galaxy s4, and am going to go bluetooth music if that works ok. Not the best, but it's ok. Hopefully Mazda can fix the issues.

Last edited:

That division selloff happened towards the end of the year from what I gatter from news articles obtained off the Web. If you follow this discussion carefully, that is when the official replies from Mazda whent from "The unit functions as designed" to acknowledging there is a problem to now stating they are actively working on a solution. It might just be the new owners of the division are more willing to work with Mazda on this.

That division selloff happened towards the end of the year from what I gatter from news articles obtained off the Web. If you follow this discussion carefully, that is when the official replies from Mazda whent from "The unit functions as designed" to acknowledging there is a problem to now stating they are actively working on a solution. It might just be the new owners of the division are more willing to work with Mazda on this.

Right, it closed in the fourth quarter, but was "in escrow" for quite some time.

If you're right about the buyers actually wanting to do something, and if they can actually do it, you'll be the king of this forum.

If the new buyers are incapable of debugging and fixing a software issue they had no business buying the company.

If the new buyers are incapable of debugging and fixing a software issue they had no business buying the company.

I agree..<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://lovesmileys.com/f2/3/swatch_white.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://lovesmileys.com/f2/3/swatch_white.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://lovesmileys.com/f2/3/swatch_white.swf" undefined="http://lovesmileys.com/f2/3/swatch_white.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object> (hi)

And, did the dealer ask you if you were capable of driving the vehicle the way Mazda intended, or if you were capable of fully utilizing all the benefits of the vehicle? Or, did the dealer simply want to know if you could pay for the car?

And, did the dealer ask you if you were capable of driving the vehicle the way Mazda intended, or if you were capable of fully utilizing all the benefits of the vehicle? Or, did the dealer simply want to know if you could pay for the car?
Your scenario is putting the responsibility on the seller not the buyer. As a buyer, if I didn't have both the desire and ability to drive a car, it would be foolish indeed to buy one, and I wouldn't put the blame on Mazda if I bought one anyway. The same goes for the buyer of the head unit software. If they don't have the desire and ability to fix the software they should have left it for someone who does.

Foolishness is not illegal. Anyone can buy anything (including a buisness) and drive it into the ground if they want to. It's their money. Buisnesses are bought all the time for just a small component (a patent for example), while the rest is neglected or liquidated. You don't know their buisness, so you just can't say they have no buisness buying the company for any reason. In the end, a buisness exists to make money. Not to pleese anyone (including us poor Mazda costomers).

Hey everyone, first post. And after reading most of this thread, I'd like to share my experiences as well. I just recently moved to Australia and after having owned an older Mazda3 in the past, we decided to purchase a pair here as well. Plus we have family here than manages a local Mazda dealership and got both cars at a steal. Both are 2013 models (brand new when purchased), one is an entry level Mazda3 and the other is the entry level CX-5. Not sure how the options stack up against North America but nothing fancy. Anyway, both cars are OK for the most part.

The Mazda3 has absolutely no issues playing back an 8GB Patriot USB stick, nor a 4th gen (I think?) iPod, nor the latest iPod touch. Plays them all, pauses them when the car is off, and resumes exactly where they left off. It also does so very quickly (a few seconds at most?) and the iPods can be unplugged and re-attached and it still resumes where it left off (because it has been paused). The CX-5 is another story all together...

This CX-5 was purchased in November, and came fresh off the boat from Japan. It will play all of the above mentioned devices, HOWEVER, will not resume any of them. It also takes a much longer time to read them, and in the case of the iPods, can hang indefinitely and never read them. When it does this, the iPod itself shows that it is not connected, as I can unplug it (it seems to just be charging, despite what the touch screen on the CX5 says). Another thing I noticed is that the CX5 will not play YouTube ripped audio in mp3 format? Very strange. While the Mazda3 does. To sum it up, this stereo is terrible and if it wasn't for the discount in purchase price, and the fact that we don't plan on living here for more than 2 years or so (THAT is another story all together...... people don't know how good we have it in North America, let me tell you - I'm Canadian BTW), I would never have purchased this car.

That said, before we realized this stereo was a sore spot, we considered buying a fully loaded CX-5 upon our return to Canada. Well, if this isn't resolved by then, no chance. More accurately, as Mazda doesn't seem to be addressing this matter to begin with, I think I'll be taking my business elsewhere.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that the touch screen itself is a poorly designed piece as well. Lags, doesn't read touches all the time, etc. Annoying. But we did try and hook up the iPod touch via bluetooth and it seems to be working for now. It will resume where it left off. The one drawback though is that it doesn't show a playlist and therefore you can not scroll through songs. You are forced to push the front and back buttons to choose songs. Archaic? Yes.

Last edited:
My Iphone 4s worked great for two weeks with the usb and now I get an ipod error. The head unit showed the song playing through usb but no audio and then afterwards an ipod error ever since but it charges. Any suggestions? I know its more of an Apple/Iphone issue. My husband's Iphone works with the usb and I tried another cable, resetting the phone to default and then reinstalling everything. I also can't figure out the folder with the Bluetooth. I guess back to AUX or cds.

Hey everyone, first post. And after reading most of this thread, I'd like to share my experiences as well. I just recently moved to Australia and after having owned an older Mazda3 in the past, we decided to purchase a pair here as well. Plus we have family here than manages a local Mazda dealership and got both cars at a steal. Both are 2013 models (brand new when purchased), one is an entry level Mazda3 and the other is the entry level CX-5. Not sure how the options stack up against North America but nothing fancy. Anyway, both cars are OK for the most part.

The Mazda3 has absolutely no issues playing back an 8GB Patriot USB stick, nor a 4th gen (I think?) iPod, nor the latest iPod touch. Plays them all, pauses them when the car is off, and resumes exactly where they left off. It also does so very quickly (a few seconds at most?) and the iPods can be unplugged and re-attached and it still resumes where it left off (because it has been paused). The CX-5 is another story all together...

This CX-5 was purchased in November, and came fresh off the boat from Japan. It will play all of the above mentioned devices, HOWEVER, will not resume any of them. It also takes a much longer time to read them, and in the case of the iPods, can hang indefinitely and never read them. When it does this, the iPod itself shows that it is not connected, as I can unplug it (it seems to just be charging, despite what the touch screen on the CX5 says). Another thing I noticed is that the CX5 will not play YouTube ripped audio in mp3 format? Very strange. While the Mazda3 does. To sum it up, this stereo is terrible and if it wasn't for the discount in purchase price, and the fact that we don't plan on living here for more than 2 years or so (THAT is another story all together...... people don't know how good we have it in North America, let me tell you - I'm Canadian BTW), I would never have purchased this car.

That said, before we realized this stereo was a sore spot, we considered buying a fully loaded CX-5 upon our return to Canada. Well, if this isn't resolved by then, no chance. More accurately, as Mazda doesn't seem to be addressing this matter to begin with, I think I'll be taking my business elsewhere.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that the touch screen itself is a poorly designed piece as well. Lags, doesn't read touches all the time, etc. Annoying. But we did try and hook up the iPod touch via bluetooth and it seems to be working for now. It will resume where it left off. The one drawback though is that it doesn't show a playlist and therefore you can not scroll through songs. You are forced to push the front and back buttons to choose songs. Archaic? Yes.

I just purchased a 2013 CX-9 with the base stereo and can confirm everything you say about your CX-5. The head units are the same. The one thing I will add is that I am able to get mp3 playlists to work on USB stick but only if they are put in folders that contain less than 500 files and configured with m3u extended format. Even so, it takes a long time to read the USB memory stick and when I turn it off, the head unit forgets the last song played and starts with the the first one in alphabetical order when I restart. I sure am glad that I did not pay for the Bose upgraded stereo that uses this same head unit. I will take the money saved and buy some good aftermarket gear. This is inexcusable in a vehicle in this price range.

Bluetooth shuffle solution

UPDATE: I think there is a scenario where shuffle play will stay on: (1) turn on HD radio, (2) press play on iPhone and turn on shuffle, (3) switch to bluetooth
-but if iPhone is not playing before switching to bluetooth, shuffle is disabled

HALLELUJAH (breakn) This solution actually works to get shuffle to work (with an iPhone 5S). It does resume where it left off after you turn off the car and re-start, but shuffle doesn't (it goes back to alphabetical order).

Have I know that there was an issue with the radio I would opt not to pay the extra $1,500 for it (with the sunroof).
I really use the radio a lot and this is a dissapointment.

Hope Mazda fix the issue.

There is a petition on change.org that addresses these head-unit issues: http://chn.ge/1eU1Iut

Sign it, and hopefully Mazda will do something about it besides saying "it is working as designed".

They've admited theres a problem:
See my previous post....

MCIEP@mazd​a.ca (MCIEP@mazda.ca)
06/01/2014
To: xxxxxx

Dear Mr,

Thank you for your email.

At the moment, there is still no fix for the USB issue. Our technicians are still working hard in trying to rectify this issue so we may be able to provide an update to all of our customers. We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Warm Regards,

Samantha
Customer Relations Coordinator
MAZDA CANADA INC

---- Original Message ----
To : mciep@mazda.ca
Subject : Message from Contact Us on Mazda.ca - Technical Inquiries
Date : Thu, 02 Jan 2014 17:03:45 GMT

The following message was submitted from the mazda.ca website:

Comments:
Hello,
I have a 2014 Mazda CX5 - GT and wondering if Maxda has released a fix yet for the USB plugin not auto resuming when the car is turned on. It's extremely annoying to listen to the same song over and over when the car is started.
The dealer couldn't provide any assistance with this.
Thank you,

Last edited:
^ Haha, that's what I call wishfull thinking!

If anything "hardware" happens, it will be a means to keep some power going to the unit while the car is off. This is what happens with the 2013, and why it does not have the USB resume problem.

Back