2017~2024 CX-5 Chirp Noise from Automatic Transaxle on 3-4 upshift - Bulletin 05-005/23

“The challenge with four-cylinder deactivation is that an engine running on two cylinders is more likely to cause vibration. Mazda’s breakthrough solution to compensate for this is to use a fulcrum inside the six-speed SKYACTIV-DRIVE automatic transmission, helping ensure seamless transition between two- and four-cylinder operation.”

“The challenge with four-cylinder deactivation is that an engine running on two cylinders is more likely to cause vibration. Mazda’s breakthrough solution to compensate for this is to use a fulcrum inside the six-speed SKYACTIV-DRIVE automatic transmission, helping ensure seamless transition between two- and four-cylinder operation.”
Yep, the pendulum damper is built into the torque converter and because of its size there is no room for the multi plate lockup clutch set that the non CD cars have.
1704125900195.png

I'm so glad I opted for the 2017 instead of the 2018 back in early 2018 when I bought my CX5. Mazda dealer had a bunch of new 2018's on the lot and a prior model year 2017 on the lot. I read about the CD and I had a strong gut feeling that it could turn out to be problematic. So I bought the 2017 model year which didn't have CD and dealer gave me a price break on the new 2017 as it was a model year old already. I paid like $23k for a brand new 2017 CX5 Touring.

SO MANY problems have been emerging from the CD. Cracked heads and now failed transmissions/torque converters. All to save maybe 1/2 mpg, if that. I hate that the EPA/CAFE has forced this stupidity on manufacturers and they come up with ways to increase MPG with technology that is not proven to last but proven to fail and over complicate systems. They made a reliable car/drivertain in a problematic drivetrain.

CD sucks! 🤬

And yet there are many CX5 with CD that have more miles than 2017 models and still driving.
I think latest gen of CD is very mature. Many manufacturers use it not just Mazda

Last edited:
Back