Resonator Removal Question

what would be the best setup over in cali? i just put in my greddy ti-c and wondering what the best setup would be to fully put it to the test and still be cali legal and past smog

i actually removed the two resos and left the actually muffler on the end of the car and it sounds great not a lot louder then stock just beefer and really cool sounding and yea it does sound SUBY-ish im workin on gettin another stock rear peice and im gonna cut the muffleer off of it so if i want loud i got it and if i want what i call quiet i got it lol

I hope everyone understands that deleting resos or the muffler or installing an aftermarket CBE will do little to nothing to increase power, since the stock CBE is so free flowing to begin with. There will be a little gain with deleting the second cat and replacing it with a race pipe. The big, I mean HUGE, power gain comes with an aftermarket DP/RP combo, especially if you have replaced the crappy factory airbox with a good CAI or SRI intake. Go catless with the DP if you're state is cool with it, or catted if not. The catted one gives almost as good gains. You will void your warranty, but if you want to play you have to be willing to pay.

You can change all the CBE components with or without resos or mufflers, with or without changes in diameter and all you're really changing is the tone and loudness of the exhaust. The stock CBE will free flow over 300 whp. Until you get above that level . . . its all a matter of what sound you want.

Just one opinion. Mod as you like, just know what you are getting and what you are not getting for your hard earned $$$.

Has anyone had issues with State Inspections after mods? TexASS requires a visual (and sensor) inspection every year after the first 2... suxors

that lil service station on the north side of 35 at 3406(across from Rudy's) doesn't look or hook up a sniffer....even passed me with a busted light....i didn't tape it up or anything

if you look under your car and start from the exhaust tip you will notice a muffler. then if you continue your way back you will notice 1 expanded cylinder type thing and then after that. Those two cylinder type things are your resonators.

I think that is BS, I just removed all my resonators and I have had a test pipe for awhile and after removing the resonaters i can tell that I got more torque. Say what you want but I disagree

I think that is BS, I just removed all my resonators and I have had a test pipe for awhile and after removing the resonaters i can tell that I got more torque. Say what you want but I disagree

How do you figure you have more torque by removing resos? What have you measured and in what manner? Ever look through your reso's?

There straight through design, no change in diameter. They just absorb sound at specific frequencies based on their length and amount of sound absorbant material between the center pipe and the outside shell. I don't see how a reso that is a straight through center pipe design with no change in pipe diameter can possibly influence either hp or torque.

How do you figure you have more torque by removing resos? What have you measured and in what manner? Ever look through your reso's?

There straight through design, no change in diameter. They just absorb sound at specific frequencies based on their length and amount of sound absorbant material between the center pipe and the outside shell. I don't see how a reso that is a straight through center pipe design with no change in pipe diameter can possibly influence either hp or torque.

It might ever so slightly just because any additional turbulance in the air create more back pressure. It's not just about pipe diameter, other things are taken into account such as the bends in the piping and the type, Mandrel/crush bends. So maybe deleting the resonators do add additional HP/TQ but I agree with you it has to be very minimal.

I'm not so concerned with power right now as I am with the sound of the exhaust, does anybody have a sound clip of their vehicle without one or two of the resonators?

I'm looking for a deeper raspier sound, not a louder exhuast, so I doubt removing the resonators is what I'm looking for but chime in.

Gmac

while there may be a 5hp gain and thats a maybe. for those that are buying a cbe, its a total waste of money for the most part but for those of usthat want more sound and arent expecting any type of real gains-the resonator(s) delete is prefect.

when i mod my exhaust for gains, i will get a dp and have the cbe custom fabbed to connect from the dp str8back

but in the grand scheme of things, MSMS3 is right. the gains, if any, are so minimal there bascially arent any

i think i got myself a DIY coming up once i get the truck back together....have to replace the oil pump and clean the sucker......been strugling with the damn oil pan for 3 days....

So where do you take it to get this done? What kind of shop?

some type of exhaust shop. shouldnt cost no more than 40 bucks for them to cut out the resonators and weld in straight pipes

but only take out the two before the muffler. dont cut out the muffler b/c the car will sound like a srt4

Nice I definatley like the sound without the resonators. Not so much without the muffler as well.

Now how much louder is it without those resonators?

Gmac

Nice I definatley like the sound without the resonators. Not so much without the muffler as well.

Now how much louder is it without those resonators?

Gmac

its not really louder. the resonators being out just allow you to "hear" the motor speak(so-to-speak.)

you may get some drone at times below 3k rpms. but i dont mind them. even when you get on the gas, the exhaust isnt "loud loud" and at cruise speeds its tame likethe resonators werent even taken out. if that makes any sense

but resonators deleted is mos def worth it

Thanks a lot man. You've sold me. Now to find a local shop that will do it right. What is our stock exhaust made out of, SS i assume?

Gmac

Back