Resonator Removal Question

Well what I did yesterday (in an effort to replace my downpipe) is I took off my entire exhaust system: muffler, resonator, cat, piping, etc. All that's there now is the downpipe and it's throwing no codes at all and I've driven it a good 25 miles. Sounds amazing. Loud and highly illegal but just a temporary fix until I replace the whole system. I shouldn't think that removing your resonator would have any effect on performance) but it WILL make it sound nicer (headbang)

Hope you don't run like that very long. I guess you realize that you are probably belching some fire out of the downpipe due to the rich fuel mixture these engines have. And that is right under the front floor! And there are fuel lines not too far away either!

Great short term(like a single 5 minute run) experiment, but damn, be careful. At least consider running a temporary straight pipe back behind the rear bumper.

Sorry if I'm coming across as a nanny, but man that is dangerous, IMHO.

Ah yes good point. I'm going to change it as soon as I get the $$ but for now I'm not going to drive it unless I have to. However, I did put a muffler on it today but that's still only 1.5 feet off the downpipe haha

I went with a full exhaust form mazdaspeed store .com and ultimate racing, it is a full 3 " from the turbo back and the large single muffler is replaced with two smaller straight through resonators, no cats and awesome sound..it screams if your on it but settles to an acceptable level to just cruise down the high way or in town. Its a really great set up.

the Cobb Sf intake, TurboXS cat less down pipe, TurboXS cat less race pipe and Ultimate racing Cat back exhaust all ran me about 1500.00 you can get it all at mazdaspeedstore.com it is the stage 1 kit plus the other 2 parts.

if i learn how to get pics on here ill post some

You (number3) can get the same performance as the full TurboXS turbo back with the "Stealthback" Stage 1 package from that same vendor mentioned above. That's what they call the TurboXS catless dp/rp combo when connected it to the stock CBE. Serious power. Way, way cheaper. No loss of performance. Again, way, way cheaper -- less than five hundred dollars.

See sig below.

That is exactly what I have the stage 1 kit, then the cobb SF intake and then the ultimate racing CDE. it was 650 for the stage one and the intake then about 850 for the CBE.

And it is a great power increase...the only thing left is to add the Ultimate Racing FMIC but cant part with the 1000 for it just yet. (850 FMIC...150 replacement bumper support) all from Mazdaspeedstore.com

That is exactly what I have the stage 1 kit, then the cobb SF intake and then the ultimate racing CDE. it was 650 for the stage one and the intake then about 850 for the CBE.

What I was politely trying to say is that the extra 850 for the CBE gets you a different sound but no greater power. The restrictions on the exhaust side are all upstream. But if you like the sound, by all means. I was just trying to point out to number3 that he could get the same performance and save that last 850 if he liked the sound of the catless dp/rp connected to the stock CBE. Sorry I wasn't clear.

I just did the resonator delete (both of them) today. Very nice sound. I know there will be no power increase, I just wanted the sound. It saves me $600 for a CBE!! :)

How much volume increase did you see? I'd like a deeper sound and wouldn't mind more noise outside the car, but don't want it to be much louder inside.

It's louder in the lower RPM's...After 3000, it doesn't sound any different than with the resonators. But in low RPM's you get that nice gurgle like the Subarus make. Especially when you start it up in the morning.

Back