Resonator Removal Question

serium

:
2008.5 True Red Mazdaspeed 3
Ive been reading that people are removing the last resonator and its kind of bringing out the Subaru boxer sound which i love. Anyways I would like to do this but I've never actually taken a good look at the resonators and was wondering just how easy it is to remove them. What tools needed and what not. Thanks for your help guys.

take off your exhaust...use an angle grinder with a steel cutting disc on it...cut off the resonator...put the exhaust back on...before you cut it off goto autozone or farm and fleet and find a section of exhaust piping that will fit on to your exhaust clamp it on with exhaust clamps...then put the exhaust back on fit that exhaust piping that you just bought nicely into place then clamp it on with the exhaust clamps....then find somebody to weld that b****...i would recommend cutting the cats off too....your car will backfire a lot with the resonator and cats off...it's pretty bad ass

just takeit to an exhaust shop . they shouldnt charge you more than 30 bucks or so and will actually weld the exhaust instead of having clamps.

i paid 40 but remove 2 out of the 3 resonators one is blocked by some steel bars take the other two out it sounds sick. i paid 40 per resonator

again it sounds best with all 3 resinators removed. I removed two and liked it ok. when removing the 3rd its sounds 10x better, burbles and pops quiet at idle and screams when you floor it, perfect.

i recently removed the last resonator before the muffler....it pops a little bit at low rpm and low speeds when i'm slowing down, nearly stopping....haven't heard much popping otherwise. i paid $35 to have them weld in a straight pipe in it's place. i also have the Street Unit test pipe...and it gets pretty drowny between 2-3k rpm when slowing down.....my fiance doesn't like it... oh well.

I got Cobb turbo back MUAHAHAH! I would get a test pipe and remove one or two resinators. Then you get some performance gain and a good deep sound.

uh pretty sure there was 3 on at the front of the xhaust behind the cat one right in front of the muffler and one in the middle

negative.....it's cat#1> cat#2> resonator#1> resonator#2> muffler> tip

my setup is: cat#1> SU test pipe > resonator#1> straight pipe(deleted resonator #2)> muffler> tip

Last edited:
negative.....it's cat#1> cat#2> resonator#1> resonator#2> muffler> tip

my setup is: cat#1> SU test pipe > resonator#1> straight pipe(deleted resonator #2)> muffler> tip

ditto: cat#1, cat#2, reso#1, reso#2, muffler, tip

My setup: replace cat#1 with 3" TSX DP, replace cat#2 with 3" TSX RP modified to include 3" Vibrant Ultraquiet Reso; reso#1 stock, reso#2 stock, stock muffler, 3 1/2" Magnaflo unrolled straight tip.

I have a third reso only because I put one in as a part of the RP, between the flanges. Ultra-Sealthback I call it.

Has anyone had issues with State Inspections after mods? TexASS requires a visual (and sensor) inspection every year after the first 2... suxors

well as long as you still have the first cat, you should be ok cause deleting the 2nd cat doesn't throw a cel. plus visually, they will still see at least one cat.

Back