Question About Intake..

tsekaos

:
Mazda Protege 5
I Put A 3" Short Ram Intake In My Pro 5 And My Car Is Almost 2 Seconds Slower On The Track And Is Way Slower Off The Start... Does Ne 1 Know Wat The Problem Might Be?

track? on quarter mile or a course? never heard of adding a short ram decreasing performance was it an ebay shortram? usually a striaght run is better way to judge time deffrance. on a road course alot of other facters come into play..

HHmmm. Is the oil from the new filter on the MAF sensor wire? Are double-sure everything is hooked up properly. Post pix.

i heard the SRI's and CAI's cause a loss in power in the lower RPM's but i have never felt it......i have had my SRI on for many miles and probably gainned minimal if any power from it but it sounds nice.......

my car pulled 112 WHP at a dyno meet last summer.......10-12 gain over stock power with my mods!

man, can i sure feel it.........j/k

what mods if you don't mind me asking
<<<<<jacked for the moment>>>>>

Protege52003 said:
i heard the SRI's and CAI's cause a loss in power in the lower RPM's but i have never felt it......i have had my SRI on for many miles and probably gainned minimal if any power from it but it sounds nice.......

my car pulled 112 WHP at a dyno meet last summer.......10-12 gain over stock power with my mods!

man, can i sure feel it.........j/k

I have tried cai & sri & ended using a sri made from the 1st piece of the cai modified to get the iat in. The filter is 3" then into MAF which is 2 3/4" then into cai pipe which is 2 1/2" then into elbow that goes back to 2 3/4" for throttle body. I don't know if this produces a little more velocity hitting the throttle body or what but the car seems to like it more than when I had full 3" sri or the full cai setup. Tried all mixes, even stock, before & after header, hi flow cat & 2 1/4" catback exhaust were put on & the car seems to like this the best. Not saying that it is better than what others have done or have but seems to work best for what all I have done with mine.

tsekaos said:
I Put A 3" Short Ram Intake In My Pro 5 And My Car Is Almost 2 Seconds Slower On The Track And Is Way Slower Off The Start... Does Ne 1 Know Wat The Problem Might Be?

are you throwing a cell? I had a loose vaccum line that caused me to run lean after I put in a DIY intake. Once I fixed that I was golden.

is your IAT in the intake? I know some people have left it out of the mix and it has lead to problems.

-where is your filter? if it's behind the radiator, you could be loosing some power due to hot air intake.

Have you done any other mods? When I got my ebay intake, there was a noticable increase off the line. I could get the wheels to spin (its an auto) but I lost that low end when I put my axleback on.

do you have any pictures of what you did?

have you reset the ecu? key on, unplug neg. terminal, pump brakes,. key off, sit 10 minutes, neg terminal on?

-where is your filter? if it's behind the radiator, you could be loosing some power due to hot air intake.

mine is right in front of the radiator i got the aem i wonder if this really makes a difference or not also would one of those heat sheild things work or no

SRI or CAI, neither of them gain anything higefor power. I have had the ebay SRI for 3 years. I noticed a little power gain, but very small. Makes a cool sound though!

No SRI will hurt power, unless it it is hooked up wrong. the other thing it might be is the filter is a cheapo junk one, which case it might not be letting enough air in. I have had a K&N in every car I have ever had, including my ebay SRI. Might want to use one of them instead of the crappy ebay ones with metal on the filter that can rust.

U THINK A 3" PIPING SRi IS TO BIG .... IT SOUNDS LIKE ITS DROWNING MY ENGINE WITH TOO MUCH AIR... I DONT GET IT? U THINK THAT CUD BE THE PROBLEM?

how about the filter itself. just taking a stab in the dark here, but i've heard that ebay intakes give you some of the worst filters money can buy. that is of course if you have an ebay intake.

just a thought- when i put my sri on the car, there was a vacuum valve that is mounted on the top of the stock intake. it is mounted in the rubber on a tab. i have no clue what this is, and have asked a couple different autopart stores with no results. any chance when you remote mounted this that you pulled a vacuum line off of it. i would check the engine bay near the throttle intake for loose or unplugged vacuum lines.

3 inch pipe for the intake is large, especially because of the low power it's too much air. The first intake I had was like that and my engine would idle roughly and sometimes stall. Also what kind of filter. Is it the dual cone or is the top piece solid? When I got the AEM SRI, my car ran a lot smoother. The piping for the AEM and Injen is 2 3/4 inch piping. Is yours and Ebay intake or home made?

The intake is one of the easiest things to install and its usually hard to screw up. Do you have any pics of the set-up cuz that might help.

Last edited:
the valve i am referring to is the purge solenoid valve- see pic-
btw- first time putting pic up, hope it works...

Attachments

• intake.jpg
    intake.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 135
mine is the gay ass EBAY intake... so i shud get the AEM SRI.... will that make a difference.. and also wats better CAI or SRI for pro 5s..

wildo said:
the valve i am referring to is the purge solenoid valve- see pic-
btw- first time putting pic up, hope it works...

You don't have to bolt that down. I just zip tied it to the lines behind it to hold in place. As long as the lines and the clip is pluged in it should be no problem.

Johnnybass said:
what mods if you don't mind me asking
<<<<<JACKED moment the for>>>>>

MS axle-back, fidanza flywheel, CM clutch, nology wires, SRI with clean filter, new plugs, synthetic tranny/oil fluids.......

had the wagner shorty on before the dyno runs......sold it to thiece!

Latest posts

Back