NGK Spark Plug ILKAR7L11 long term usage

So, I know the price on Rockauto is about $40 for four NGK plugs based on earlier comments. While at advanced auto its about $18.27 a plug. I believe Advanced Auto is an authorized re-seller of NGK. If I use the NGK, I will probably pick them up at Advanced Auto. Plus they have plenty of stores around incase I need to return.
That’s why I said choosing the spark plugs on our CX-5 is a personal preference. To me, I’d get the expensive OEM plugs just to make sure the plugs are 100% compatible, no ifs or buts. My time is more valuable especially I’m getting older and don’t want to redo any jobs I’ve done.

So can the Mazda denso or Denso spark plug be used also? Mazda lists another plug that is a Denso. The Denso equivalent for PE5S-18-110 is Denso ZC20HPR11
For SkyActiv-G 2.5L the OEM spark plugs have 2 types: PE5R-18-110 and PE5S-18-110. PE5R-18-110 is made by NGK and PE5S-18-110 is made by Denso.

The NGK equivalent for PE5R-18-110 is NGK Laser Iridium spark plug ILKAR7L11 / 94124.

The Denso equivalent for PE5S-18-110 is Denso ZC20HPR11.

You can’t get OEM Denso plugs PE5S-18-110 from any Mazda dealers in the US as far as I know. But you can find Denso equivalent ZC20HPR11 for cheaper price than NGK ILKAR7L11 / 94124. Some had tried Denso ZC20HPR11’s without any ill effects either.

I think in the above case the user used some BOSCH plugs. I wouldn't go with those. NGK is the OEM.
I wouldn’t say NGK ILKAR7L11 is the OEM, only the OEM equivalent. So as the Denso ZC20HPR11. The key is RockAuto lists the Bosch Double Iridiums as compatible to the SkyActiv-G 2.5L. I believe that is based on Bosch’s specs. And I also believe there’re many have used the Boach plugs on our 2.5L without issues.

I had faced the same dilemma on my 2001.5 VW Passat 2.8L V6. The OEM spark plugs were 3 times more expensive than the equivalent NGK plugs. The only difference I could tell was the VW imprint on the insulator just like Mazda’s OEM plugs. At the time I chose the NGK equivalents. 6 plugs instead of 4 was also helped me to make that decision.

Looks like there is a value line spark plug for the turbo.
turbo-py8v18110mv
Based on the quality of other Mazda’s “Value” maintenance parts, I don’t think I’d be interested in this “Value” Vpm spark plugs PY8V-18-110-MV.

And the Mazda OEM PE5R-18-110 spark plug has been superseded by PE5R-18-110A. The list price keeps getting higher, to $36.24 each now!

So if the OEM “Value” spark plug is made by NGK without Mazda imprint, may be I’ll give it a try.

And the Mazda OEM PE5R-18-110 spark plug has been superseded by PE5R-18-110A. The list price keeps getting higher, to $36.24 each now!

So if the OEM “Value” spark plug is made by NGK without Mazda imprint, may be I’ll give it a try.
Wouldn't the NGK ILKAR7L11 plugs be a better alternative than the value line?

Wouldn't the NGK ILKAR7L11 plugs be a better alternative than the value line?
There’re only a few qualified spark plug manufactures in the world. Mazda’s “Value” spark plugs could also be made by NGK or Denso without a Mazda mark. I’d go to Mazda dealer to check them out before I make a decision. The price is similar to the NGK equivalent, hence it’s worth a try. Like “Value” oil filters, although I’d spend a dollar or two more to get regular OEM Thai made oil filter, they have to meet certain requirements by Mazda and should be better suited than those one-size-fit-all aftermarket oil filters.

Last edited:
There’re only a few qualified spark plug manufactures in the world. Mazda’s “Value” spark plugs could also be made by NGK or Denso without a Mazda mark. I’d go to Mazda dealer to check them out before I make a decision. The price is similar to the NGK equivalent, hence it’s worth a try. Like “Value” oil filters, although I’d spend a dollar or two more to get regular OEM Thai made oil filter, they have to meet certain requirements by Mazda and should be better suited than those one-size-fit-all aftermarket oil filters.
I checked the ngk.com site and you can order the NGK ILKAR7L11 directly from NGK. Looked at their parts finder and the plugs are specifically designed for Mazda Vehicles with also the later models of the Toyota Yaris which was later made by Mazda.

Last edited:
I have a 2016 CX-5 sport 2.5L skyactiv with almost 74k that will soon be due for a spark plug change at 75k. Mazda requires the NGK Spark Plug ILKAR7L11 from Mazda with the Mazda branding. The Mazda version of the plug is significantly more expensive vs the NGK that you get at the local parts store.

However, when you look up the spark plug on the NGK parts finder they have they show Part # ILKAR7L11 and stock # 94124 (Actual OEM Manufacturer).

Mazda part # is PE5R-18-110

I have seen the past discussion of using the Mazda branded plug vs the one you get from NGK at the local auto parts store such as Autozone and Advanced Auto Parts. Some say to stick with the Mazda branded version as they say it's optimized for Mazda vehicles. Apparently the NGK version can cause power loss, and loss of fuel economy, including misfires.

So, anyone used the NGK version of the plugs that you get at the local auto parts stores without issues? Just want to get thoughts on long term usage of these plugs like people who have driven with them at 20k plus. Any loss of power, or fuel economy? Any issues with check engine light or misfires?

Trying to decide which plugs to get.

These are the official Mazda spark plugs ($120)

81XYQlip9tL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Here's HyFlyer's Walmart link ($45.49)

walmartngkplugs.png

Same part number listed for both. Looks like the picture on the Walmart page is generic (and badly cropped), here's the actual NGK part.

ILKAR7L11.jpg

Last edited:

These are the official Mazda spark plugs ($120)

81XYQlip9tL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Here's HyFlyer's Walmart link ($45.49)

View attachment 317620

Same part number listed for both. Looks like the picture on the Walmart page is generic (and badly cropped), here's the actual NGK part.

ILKAR7L11.jpg
Yep, the photo in the Walmart ad looks like a carnival fun house mirror spark plug picture lol. They were the correct number though.

They arrived via USPS a couple days later in a nice bubble pouch. Exactly the right plugs and unmolested. $45.49+ tax to my door (4-pack).

I'm inclined to believe if the Mazda OEM part uses the exact same part number as the NGK branded plug and is identical in appearance, it's the exact same part. Not sure what all that OVT stuff in post #2 is about the secret proprietary Mazda tuning, but said poster hasn't been active since 2016. (Undercover Mazda parts guy??)

I'm inclined to believe if the Mazda OEM part uses the exact same part number as the NGK branded plug and is identical in appearance, it's the exact same part. Not sure what all that OVT stuff in post #2 is about the secret proprietary Mazda tuning, but said poster hasn't been active since 2016. (Undercover Mazda parts guy??)
I verified NGK part finder, and the ILKAR711 plug is only for Mazda vehicles. Exception is the Toyota Yaris, but for the ones made by Mazda.

Also, I chatted with Advanced Auto Parts online, and they match Rockauto's price for the NGKs. They'll just charge you a similar shipping rate to Rockauto. Advanced auto is an authorized distributor of NGK.

Last edited:
I used the NGKs for 25k with no visible difference in performance. OEM were replaced at 65k on NA engine. Out of curiosity I measured the resistance of the used OEM and set of new NGKs. Both sets are within the specs but there is some difference between the sets:

New NGK spark plugs resistance kOhm: 5.03, 5.09, 5.46, 5.58
65k OEM spark plugs resistance kOhm: 3.99, 4.17, 4.26, 4.43

Back