NGK Spark Plug ILKAR7L11 long term usage

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport
I have a 2016 CX-5 sport 2.5L skyactiv with almost 74k that will soon be due for a spark plug change at 75k. Mazda requires the NGK Spark Plug ILKAR7L11 from Mazda with the Mazda branding. The Mazda version of the plug is significantly more expensive vs the NGK that you get at the local parts store.

However, when you look up the spark plug on the NGK parts finder they have they show Part # ILKAR7L11 and stock # 94124 (Actual OEM Manufacturer).

Mazda part # is PE5R-18-110

I have seen the past discussion of using the Mazda branded plug vs the one you get from NGK at the local auto parts store such as Autozone and Advanced Auto Parts. Some say to stick with the Mazda branded version as they say it's optimized for Mazda vehicles. Apparently the NGK version can cause power loss, and loss of fuel economy, including misfires.

So, anyone used the NGK version of the plugs that you get at the local auto parts stores without issues? Just want to get thoughts on long term usage of these plugs like people who have driven with them at 20k plus. Any loss of power, or fuel economy? Any issues with check engine light or misfires?

Trying to decide which plugs to get.

Trying to decide which plugs to get.
This really falls into your personally preference. I personally would use OEM spark plugs but many CX-5 owners have used NGK equivalent without any issues.

Here're a couple of old posts from OVTune (OrangeVirus Tuning):

Without getting into too much detail...you guys really...really..really want to use OEM plugs....

the reason is because the ECU uses the ignition coils, which measure a resistance across the OEM plug for pre-ignition, and extremely low levels of knock retard the knock sensor cannot pick up, along with that it gives the ECU individual cylinder information, the spark plugs are actually used "as a sensor."

How it works exactly is proprietary information that I am not willing to share, you want to use OEM plugs.

Other than the Ion sensing function by the spark plugs, I’d at least check the resistance on NGK plugs before the installation:

92BF75C3-5224-4CEB-9CF9-ADD16902DABD.jpeg

This really falls into your personally preference. I personally would use OEM spark plugs but many CX-5 owners have used NGK equivalent without any issues.

Here're a couple of old posts from OVTune (OrangeVirus Tuning):

Other than the Ion sensing function by the spark plugs, I’d at least check the resistance on NGK plugs before the installation:

View attachment 317350
Do you know how much the Mazda plugs normally go for? Any online Mazda parts places you recommend? I believe the NGK ones at Advanced Auto are about $18.27 a plug..

Do you know how much the Mazda plugs normally go for? Any online Mazda parts places you recommend? I believe the NGK ones at Advanced Auto are about $18.27 a plug..
$30 a piece or $120 total.

At the point its out of warranty, might as well just get the ngk...from what I recall reading on other threads, the mazda plug is just a rebranded ngk plug built in same factory.

That extra $50 could buy you more tools or your girlfriend/wife another pair of shoes.

So, anyone used the NGK version of the plugs that you get at the local auto parts stores without issues?

Yes, I've used the NGK ILKAR7L11 in a 2015 Mazda 3 (2.0) for 75k + miles and in a 2016.5 CX5 (2.5) for 75k+ miles also. No issues with either car.

I'll be replacing them again on the 2016.5 soon and will use the same ILKAR7L11 spark plugs again with confidence.

The gap of the plug will affect the 'resistance' far more than the construction of the plug. Especially under high throttle/peak torque loads.

I cut several millimeters off the ground plug (to try to get the flame kernel a more direct path to the center of the bore, and I have done that for several decades on my cycles, snowmobiles, boat, lawn equipment, with no issues except for easier starting and better idle). If *that* didn't affect my CX-5, slightly different plugs won't either. (Just my opinion...)

Yes, I've used the NGK ILKAR7L11 in a 2015 Mazda 3 (2.0) for 75k + miles and in a 2016.5 CX5 (2.5) for 75k+ miles also. No issues with either car.

I'll be replacing them again on the 2016.5 soon and will use the same ILKAR7L11 spark plugs again with confidence.
Did the plugs come pre-gapped? Also, your fuel economy and power was the same as the Mazda plugs?

I have not. Mine's a turbo and I plan on replacing the OEM plugs at 40k miles per Mazda's recommendation with these plugs from rockauto for $13.36/pc.
Turbo or not, I cannot believe that the Mazda plugs are anything more than re-lableled NGK's:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=11493029&jsn=375

I've got these plugs in my CX-9 now. Coming up on 24k kms (almost 15k mi) with zero issues. Second set of these plugs is waiting on the parts shelf for the next service. (y)

I would just go for the NGKs. The plugs are easy enough to swap out if they do cause any issues, but I really don't think they will.

I've got these plugs in my CX-9 now. Coming up on 24k kms (almost 15k mi) with zero issues. Second set of these plugs is waiting on the parts shelf for the next service. (y)

I would just go for the NGKs. The plugs are easy enough to swap out if they do cause any issues, but I really don't think they will.
Thanks for the info!

Take a look at this post:

Somebody on here was having similar problems and found that the plugs had been changed to a non oem that did not provide the correct ion feedback to the cars computer. They put oem plugs in and it fixed the problem. Have you changed the plugs recently?

There is a ion feedback system from the spark plugs, take a look at:
http://nema.club/2014wsm/service h...0g0004400.html and
http://www.mcx5.org/spark_plug_inspe...2_0_-1154.html
make sure your plugs support this, you may need to put in Mazda plugs to make sure this is not the problem... Here is some of the theory
http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/ioniza...-susbystem.pdf

Take a look at this thread:
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123862437-CX-5-2-0L-P0304-P0171-Help-needed-please

Although most people may have not experienced any issues with aftermarket spark plugs, but there’re some did.

The other possibility most people may be overlooked is there’re plenty of counterfeit NGK spark plugs on the market even from Axxxxx. I believe there’s no free lunch. When the price is too good to be true, I’ll always give it a second thought.

Take a look at this post:

Although most people may have not experienced any issues with aftermarket spark plugs, but there’re some did.

The other possibility most people may be overlooked is there’re plenty of counterfeit NGK spark plugs on the market even from Axxxxx. I believe there’s no free lunch. When the price is too good to be true, I’ll always give it a second thought.

So, I know the price on Rockauto is about $40 for four NGK plugs based on earlier comments. While at advanced auto its about $18.27 a plug. I believe Advanced Auto is an authorized re-seller of NGK. If I use the NGK, I will probably pick them up at Advanced Auto. Plus they have plenty of stores around incase I need to return.

So can the Mazda denso or Denso spark plug be used also? Mazda lists another plug that is a Denso. The Denso equivalent for PE5S-18-110 is Denso ZC20HPR11

Last edited:
Another post:

There is a ion feedback system from the spark plugs, ⋯
You nailed it!

The car came to me after new plugs were put in by another mechanic.

I got another CX-5 to start testing/swapping parts. Started with coils, then plugs, and noticed a big difference in the plug type in the working CX-5.

Plugs are $32 a piece at the dealer!

Be careful, RockAuto lists those Bosch Double Iridiums as compatible. THEY ARE NOT!

Thanks for all the help! Hopefully this post helps someone else.

Did the plugs come pre-gapped? Also, your fuel economy and power was the same as the Mazda plugs?
IIRC the gap was correct. I don't recall changing it (although I could have) . You have to be very careful checking or changing the gap as the iridium plating is very thin and you don't want to disturb it with tight fitting feeler gauges .

No perceived changes good or bad for power or economy. Everything is the same as Mazda OEM spark plugs except my wallet was a little thicker 😉

Back