New Mazda SUV...

As others have speculated, maybe it won't fit as is. The CX5 is based on the 3's platform. The current skyactiv G wouldn't fit in the gen two 3 due to the header length. Maybe something like that is the holdup?

I haven't done any research into the spec differences between the 6 and CX5, so again that's just speculation. But if it does fit, it will be offered in due time.

Can't remember where I read it but I do believe it does fit into the engine bay of a CX-5

well, whatever Mazda decides to bring to market, it needs to have MORE color options than the current drab color crop plaguing Mazda deslerships. Mazda showrooms DESPERATELY need a splash of color and having ONLY the Soul Red isn't enough. I think Mazda's cold color pallet is only rivaled by M-B, BMW, and Audi.

Driving to the dealer today was depressing as I was greeted with a sea of drab - white, black, silver, gray, and other dark colored cars. yes, it is what the dealer orders, but they can only order what is offered and frankly, Mazda's color selection sucks.

Mazda is in desperate need of color. I'm not talking purple or day glow green, but a nice non-metallic red, yellow, some british racing green, and a few vibrant blues would be nice. I think adding color could help Mazda shift a few more cars per month. Even some limited edition colors would be nice and let the owners know that "only 1000" of them are out there in that color.*

*See VWs color exercise with their 20thAE GTI in 2003.

We own both a 3 and CX-5 (obviously). Despite their similarities there's quite a difference - the 3 is smaller inside both in feel and real cargo capacity. The low roof makes it hard to haul bulky things like chairs. The CX-5 is a more comfortable highway cruiser too.

The 3 is supposed to be the first to get the new X engine, making it even more efficient than its rather amazing 40 mpg it current gets. And of course, the 3 is a bit cheaper at its entry and mid-market level making it a good choice for budget conscious folks who don't need the extra cargo and ground clearance.

We are similar. We have a CX-5 and a Mazda 3 touring, which is primarily driven by my son. He has the 2.0, which gets really good mileage and is fun but not fast enough to get him in trouble!

well, whatever Mazda decides to bring to market, it needs to have MORE color options than the current drab color crop plaguing Mazda deslerships. Mazda showrooms DESPERATELY need a splash of color and having ONLY the Soul Red isn't enough. I think Mazda's cold color pallet is only rivaled by M-B, BMW, and Audi.

Driving to the dealer today was depressing as I was greeted with a sea of drab - white, black, silver, gray, and other dark colored cars. yes, it is what the dealer orders, but they can only order what is offered and frankly, Mazda's color selection sucks.

Mazda is in desperate need of color. I'm not talking purple or day glow green, but a nice non-metallic red, yellow, some british racing green, and a few vibrant blues would be nice. I think adding color could help Mazda shift a few more cars per month. Even some limited edition colors would be nice and let the owners know that "only 1000" of them are out there in that color.*

*See VWs color exercise with their 20thAE GTI in 2003.

How about snot green (lol)

Not sure exactly which comment you're disagreeing with..but I haven't driven the refresh with di and the 8 speed but Im surprised you thought it lacked power.
Mind you it was only for a 20 minute test drive, but yes the V6 felt very underpowered. It never seems to get into the powerband if you know what I mean. The 2.5T feels like it has much more grunt (even though in reality it may not have that much more).

Handling has gotten much better with better tires...though it clearly lags in that dept. If resale doesn't matter go for the Q7 bc that's basically saying $ is no object..may as well treat yourself- tick that 5k B&O stereo box while you're at it!!

Well, not exactly. If that was the case I'd have spring for the MB. My point here is that when I bought my CX-5, the resale value was low because the models that came before it were still "getting better". Low and behold, the resale value of the CX-5 is still pretty high, so that worked out. With my CX-9 I took the same strategy. I waited for the first two model years to sort out any manufacturing issues, and bought the 3rd model year (which seems to be much improved). I "think" the resale will be fine, but one never knows. In the end buying something (even if I don't really like it) just because the resale value is high, is pointless to me. I'd rather enjoy the car I have, rather than dislike it and hope I make money by selling it on later. Lifes too short for that.

Re: 3rd row yeah it totally sucks but it ain't like the 9 is a treat either..just a little less bad...
I can agree with that. Although, sometimes a little bit better is all you need.

Agree that resale is a ridiculous reason to buy a car. Unless you plan to sell or upgrade every 2 years.

Right..good resale in isolation def not a reason to buy but piss poor resale might be a sound reason to pause..and think. What if i don't still love this in 3 years..what if my situation drastically changes..what if it doesn't hold up in 4 or 5. Good resale does provide some piece of mind as you're plunking down 30-40+ large

Last edited:
New SUV called "CX-X"

Mazda CX-X SUV confirmed

May not also be limited to the USA!

"The head of Mazda North America, Masahiro Moro, told motoring.com.au the CX-X could be sold in Australia, Mazda’s fifth largest market.

“That will depend on how much Vinesh [Bhindi, Mazda Australia manager director] needs to get it. We are a business, we can try,” he smiled.

Mazda Australia boss Vinesh Bhindi indicated that he’s very interested in offering another SUV in Australia but observed that it was still early days."

For some people its a high enough consideration
Not everyone is smart.
If you keep your car until the loan is paid off, the ROI of a the car with the best resale versus the lowest is going to be so minimal as to not be worth it.
Also if you look at any sites that show the reasons people buy cars, in the US at least, resale is rarely ever on the list.
http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/bu...ns-people-buy-specific-cars-article-1.2552707
I stand by my statement.
Keeping a car 2 or 3 years? It might be worth it.

I have a 2016 Signature Metallic Gray CX-9. I must be missing what others are seeing/experiencing when your friends mean when they say “more HP”. My first question is what should the SUV be able to do that it cannot do now, without taking HP, Torque , 4 cylinder, etc. into consideration. There is enough motor there to literally spin the wheels in second gear (TSC off) and go well over 100MPH without breaking a sweat. Being in central Texas I can say that we have a lots of less mountainous driving than other states but I just don’t get it. Please tell me what I’m missing?

On a side note I recently watched MotorWeek’s quarter mile and 60 MPH acceleration test of the 2017 Toyota Highlander. I believe they called both results respectable or something close to it. When they performed those same tests on the 2016 CX-9 whose numbers were both better, they referred to one of the results as lethargic of something close. Talk about a double standard and something that is clearly BS in my opinion.

This is my first Mazda and get that people don’t see Mazda as luxurious. I know people who drive various Mercedes, Acuras, Toyota Highlander, Volvo XC90, BMWs. I can honestly say that for the most part, the CX-9 Signature holds its own against any of those vehicles at similar price points. For me it comes down to bring just “a Mazda”. I could go on but won’t but do ask if you can go back to your friends and ask the simple question of what they they think vehicle should be able to do that it cannot do today. Such as need to run quarter mile in “ “ time ,etc. Not increasing any numbers just for the sake of doing so. Also please let us know what their responses are.

This is by no means an intention to be rude or discourteous. Just keep seeing these type of comments about more HP pop up with no real substance behind them.

Thank you for your time.

I think it all comes down to perception and nothing to do with performance. It is unfortunate that a lot of buyers actually don't do that much of research when purchasing and just go with the majority that's why the Highlander and Pilot sells in bunches. The moment they hear 4cyl on a 3-row SUV or only 227-250HP then forget it not realizing the 310ft lb torque makes up for it because most buyers look at HP and not torque. The bigger the vehicle the bigger engine is needed-period. 3-row SUV = V6 and that's also partly one of the main reasons that buyers don't even consider a Mazda when they hear it only has a turbo 4. There are other manufacturers going the 4cyl T route with a good example Volvo XC90 and now Subaru Ascent but knowing Honda, Nissan, Toyota and others they want to be conservative so they stick with the NA V6 engines. Mazda has been known to go against the tide and develop their vehicles accdg to their philosophies and that's why they continue to be a niche player in the market.

Last edited:
Exactly 7 resale isn't that high for ppl..but styling and what's my mo. payment gonna be are? Amen bro people just aren't very smart many driving more car than they can reasonably afford or simply throwing $ away via leasing...kbb says a chevy traverse premier costs 44,9 msrp and est 62,735 to own over 5yrs..while a Highlander ltd 44,1 and 51,9 respectively so unless flushing 2k down your toilet every year really doesn't matter..Ill stand by my statement, reiterate for truth and i have an fj cruiser in my back pocket;)

Cx9 vs HL is ~7k spread over a 5yr term..estimates sure but money is money and the 9 is sweet but if you're not factoring this into the purchase id say you should be rich or you're the dummy.

I recognize these spreads will likely be a bit tighter due to 'better deals' esp on the chevy

Last edited:
It depends on how long you keep your vehicles. Most of the spread at 5 years is in depreciation, and I think it assumes 15k miles driven per year. I tend to keep my vehicles until they're worth basically nothing, so resale value is never much of a consideration. Repair costs and fuel economy are.

How about snot green (lol)

If "snot green" say from the (Ford) Fiesta Lime Squeeze is what you are referring to, then "no". If you are referring to Mazda2 Spirited Green, then "yes". Mazda wants to project the "zoom Zoom" life so why do it with a cold color pallet. Mazda needs brighter, more vibrant colors to let people know that that brand isn't on life support.

Exciting colors don't have to be reserved for sports cars. Sure, Competition Yellow from the RX-7 is a favorite color of mine, but Mazda has had a skittles bag of color in the past, but you wouldn't know that today.

Have you seen a Jeep lot lately? It is popping with color, mostly on the Wrangler and Renegade, but color none the less. Yellow, may not be the best color ;) for a Jeep, but they have it.

VW put Lambo Yellow and Orange on the Jetta GLI and GTI, respectively several years back as part of their Fahrenheit promotion.

Regardless, Mazda is in need of brighter, more fun colors to bring people into their showrooms.

Last edited:
People need to get more enlightened. Brighter colours can only do so much

Latest posts

Back