New Mazda SUV...

They sold 4,000 Mazda 3's and over 10,000 CX-5s last month. How is that pretty close?

The Mazda 3 and Mazda 6 sales have been dropping by every month and they will only sell ~70,000 Mazda 3's this year. Car sales in the USA are crashing.

Car sales in general are sliding as people buy crossovers - probably the 3's biggest competitor is indeed the CX-5, but also the new Civic which appears to be crushing the segment in sales. The current 3 is due for a refresh - looks like the 2019 MY for it.

Car sales in general are sliding as people buy crossovers - probably the 3's biggest competitor is indeed the CX-5, but also the new Civic which appears to be crushing the segment in sales. The current 3 is due for a refresh - looks like the 2019 MY for it.

I agree with that. Back in 2014, I actually went in looking at the Mazda 3 and came out with the CX-5. In some ways, your post makes me think the CX-5 needs to be a little bigger to differentiate it from the Mazda 3!

The Honda Civic Hatchback has about the same rear seat room as my CX-5. The 3 rear seats area is small.

I agree with that. Back in 2014, I actually went in looking at the Mazda 3 and came out with the CX-5. In some ways, your post makes me think the CX-5 needs to be a little bigger to differentiate it from the Mazda 3!

The Honda Civic Hatchback has about the same rear seat room as my CX-5. The 3 rear seats area is small.

We own both a 3 and CX-5 (obviously). Despite their similarities there's quite a difference - the 3 is smaller inside both in feel and real cargo capacity. The low roof makes it hard to haul bulky things like chairs. The CX-5 is a more comfortable highway cruiser too.

The 3 is supposed to be the first to get the new X engine, making it even more efficient than its rather amazing 40 mpg it current gets. And of course, the 3 is a bit cheaper at its entry and mid-market level making it a good choice for budget conscious folks who don't need the extra cargo and ground clearance.

it has nothing to do with sales. its all about perception! you don't put your biggest engine in your entry level vehicle. you start at the top with your flagship models, and then trickle it down to the lower, cheaper models over time if necessary.

Except that the CX-5 is selling, maybe at manufacturing capacity, and the 6 sales are slumping. I can understand why they felt the 6 needed more help. P

Won't help 6 that much as passenger car sales are getting smaller across the board and SUV's are increasing

it has nothing to do with sales. its all about perception! you don't put your biggest engine in your entry level vehicle. you start at the top with your flagship models, and then trickle it down to the lower, cheaper models over time if necessary.

CX-5 2.5T into GT (Akera here)

the CX9 is their flagship CUV in Australia, not the CX5.

just like the 911s will always be faster than a Boxter/Cayman

I know but they are adding the 2.5T to the flagship within each model (CX-9 Azami, 6 GT/Atenza).

My point was the CX-5 should have been next then 3/6 etc

Your confusing the term flagship with trim level. A base (sport trim) flagship vehicle is still considered a step up from a loaded (GT or Atenza) trim of a lower model.

CX9 Sport > CX5 GT/Atenza
6 Sport > 3 GT

and so on.....

Agree it should hit the 6 first. #1 complaint, even from Mazda 6 fans is, they want a quicker 6. Well there ya go.

250HP and Android Auto and I don't know that I'd ever need more than a CX-5, even if I Did have Volvo/BMW/Audi money to throw around.

edit: And as a new Los Angelino a pano roof might be nice. CRVs have them in Canada.

Make it happen Mazda.

Last edited:
A CX-5 with 2.5T would weigh less than CX-9 with 2.5T hence current power/torque figures would be fine

I agree with you that there's more potential sales to be gained by putting the 2.5T in the CX-5 than the Mazda6, because the CX-5 sells in much higher volume, and because the power difference would be more noticeable in a heavier and less aerodynamic vehicle. But why not both?

I agree with you that there's more potential sales to be gained by putting the 2.5T in the CX-5 than the Mazda6, because the CX-5 sells in much higher volume, and because the power difference would be more noticeable in a heavier and less aerodynamic vehicle. But why not both?

As others have speculated, maybe it won't fit as is. The CX5 is based on the 3's platform. The current skyactiv G wouldn't fit in the gen two 3 due to the header length. Maybe something like that is the holdup?

I haven't done any research into the spec differences between the 6 and CX5, so again that's just speculation. But if it does fit, it will be offered in due time.

Latest posts

Back