New Mazda SUV...

(gah) I hope Toyota's appliance tendencies are ignored!

"With that in mind, it seems a safe bet that the new crossover will be a replacement for the discontinued CX-7 to slot above the CX-5 and below the CX-9"

CX-8 fills that slot perfectly, just needs more engines such as 2.5T to go with the already included diesel or could be next generation CX-8

Last edited:
The CX8 was designed specifically for the Japanese market.

The CX4 specifically for the Chinese market.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and hope it's a true halo performance CUV, even if sized after the CX7. That way they can squeeze in at least the 2.5T and go after the CUV coupe segment that is literally printing money right now.

2.5T will be old by the time that comes out. More likely SkyActiv X variant

I know CX-4 & CX-8 is for specific markets but next variant might be next generation of one of those models with some Toyota stuff thrown in

The key point of CEO's statement is specific vehicles for specific markets (big ones, of course).
The new vehicle for US will not be CX8 or CX4.
It will be specifically designed for US to slot between CX5 and CX9.
Hence, to replace CX7.
Likely it will be longer than CX5, and more powerful (e.g. 2.5T and diesel, maybe)
That is how I read it.

CX-5 was the replacement for CX-7

At any rate, given Toyota's involvement, could actually be something off their platform

CX5 is closer to the Tribute than the CX7.

If they borrow anything from Toyota it would probably be electric motor assistive technology.

CX5 is closer to the Tribute than the CX7.

Tribute was replaced by CX-7 which was replaced by CX-5 - atleast it was over here.

If they borrow anything from Toyota it would probably be electric motor assistive technology.

That is more than enough so long as Mazda stays away from Toyota's boringness in terms of handling and driving

Length:
CX9: 199 inches
CX5: 179 inches
Lexus RX: 192 inches

Mazda can slot a new CX7 with length of about 190 inches.

Adding a new model just for USA won't make one iota of a difference if they can't get people through the door or even start to think of Mazda as an alternative to other boring car companies.

They make fine vehicles now but sales are no where near where they should be.

Mazda's perception needs to change and I am sorry to say this new SUV or whatever it is won't help by itself

One other thing, this needs to be different from their current SUVs in terms of looks, ride etc otherwise it will cannibalize sales

When I hear specific to the American market, I think high HP.

I think you are right. I have couple of friends who have CX-9's and ask them why they won't consider buying another CX-9. The most common response is the dealer and 2nd is going from a V6 to a 4 cylinder. Mazda needs a bigger car with more HP.

If Mazda is going to increase sales, it's going to need more crossovers. According to company CEO Masamichi Kogai, a new crossover that won't cannibalize sales of the CX-3, CX-5, and CX-9 is coming in 2021, to be built at the new U.S. factory Mazda is building in partnership with Toyota. The plant will be able to build 150,000 vehicles per year, and that full capacity will be reserved for the new CUV.

That is basically saying it's a shared platform vehicle with Toyota. If it's only going to produce 150,000 vehicles per year for both Mazda and Toyota, then I'm guessing it's not intended to compete in a high volume segment.

"We are actually going to introduce a totally new and different type of SUV," said Kogai. We don't know exactly what that means, but we hope the new model line follows Mazda's tradition of crossovers that are more fun to drive than their main competitors.

Strange thing to say. They don't know exactly what that means? They HOPE the new model line follows Mazda's tradition of crossovers that are more fun to drive? I'm taking this to mean Toyota is driving the boat and Mazda is along for the ride.

I'm guessing EV.

I would like to see the CX-3 axed. Leave the CX-5 as the "small" CUV, keep the CX-9 as the three row and slit in a new "CX-7" that is about the size of the CX-9, but only have TWO rows. Something along the lines of the Current Jeep Grand Cherokee. A near full-size CUV with just two rows of seats and a good, healthy cargo area, and or good/ample rear leg room is what is needed.

Give the new CUV the 2.5 and 2.5t with the 2.5t reserved for the up-level Grand Touring (GT) trim. Also, if this is Mazda's foray into the "luxury" segment, then possibly they can use this new CUV to go up against the Acura MDX/RDX, Lexus RX, Cadillac CT5, Q5, etc, and elevate the poshness in the GT trim or maybe even turn it up a notch in the Touring trim.

Mazda can also round out their lineup with a Mazda6 Wagon which will go great next to our CX-5, but the 6-wagon must have three pedals, just like the sedan.

I am leaning towards a hybrid or ev type of crossover.

The same two negative Nancy’s here have nothing to add. Just ignore them.

That is basically saying it's a shared platform vehicle with Toyota. If it's only going to produce 150,000 vehicles per year for both Mazda and Toyota, then I'm guessing it's not intended to compete in a high volume segment.

Then it won't be viable

Strange thing to say. They don't know exactly what that means? They HOPE the new model line follows Mazda's tradition of crossovers that are more fun to drive? I'm taking this to mean Toyota is driving the boat and Mazda is along for the ride.

I'm guessing EV.

Toyota should leave the driving etc to Mazda and just provide the engine.

I would like to see the CX-3 axed. Leave the CX-5 as the "small" CUV, keep the CX-9 as the three row and slit in a new "CX-7" that is about the size of the CX-9, but only have TWO rows. Something along the lines of the Current Jeep Grand Cherokee. A near full-size CUV with just two rows of seats and a good, healthy cargo area, and or good/ample rear leg room is what is needed.

Give the new CUV the 2.5 and 2.5t with the 2.5t reserved for the up-level Grand Touring (GT) trim. Also, if this is Mazda's foray into the "luxury" segment, then possibly they can use this new CUV to go up against the Acura MDX/RDX, Lexus RX, Cadillac CT5, Q5, etc, and elevate the poshness in the GT trim or maybe even turn it up a notch in the Touring trim.

Mazda can also round out their lineup with a Mazda6 Wagon which will go great next to our CX-5, but the 6-wagon must have three pedals, just like the sedan.

CX-3 is selling elsewhere in the world therefore won't be axed except maybe there if it doesn't sell.

6 wagon would be good to have but has to be enough people who would buy a manual for it to be sold there.

No manual 6's sold here at all.

Note where the quotation stops. The “We” in “We don’t know...” is referring to autoblog, not the Mazda CEO.

Back