My Euro CX-5 GT-M

:
Mazda CX-5 GT-M AWD
Hi folks,

I picked up a 2012 2.0 AWD model today. This is the GT-M spec (which is top for Europe, at least).

I really, really dont know much about these cars - ive bought it as an interim car to see me through to about September when my new Mustang 5.0GT should arrive.

Although, if the Mazda makes a big impression, it might stay around a bit longer....

I sold my 2009 XC90 to fund the Mazda....

Our 2nd car is a 2015 Focus Wagon with the 1.0 EcoBoost engine - its a great car and a fun little motor....

My weekend car is a 98 Alfa Spider.

And here is the CX-5

It seems to have a decent spec....

-Leather
-BOSE
-HID lights
-Reverse camera etc
-Heated/electric seats
-RVM
-Removable towing hitch
-19" wheels (not sure I like them!)

So far all I have done is update the TomTom navigation to the latest FirmWare (makes a big difference).

It drives very differently to my previous XC90 - itll take some getting used to.

I understand the AWD system is permanent, rather than on-demand..... is that correct?

Cheers all!

No kidding! Not only do the Europeans get the cars with the best specs, they also have 14 of the 23 cities with the highest standard of living in the world!

http://www.businessinsider.com/mercer-2016-quality-of-living-worldwide-city-rankings-2016-2

What I've never understood is if it's coming off the same line, why can't you custom order it? It's like why is the Sport model only available in a few colors where the GT is in like 7 colors? Why can't the manual get AWD and a sunroof?

The more crazy one is the forced exterior/interior color issue. Why in some cars is red exterior only available with a tan interior? Or that the only interior color for the black model is black instead of grey or whatever. It's not like something they don't already offer.

I get not wanting that for "standard" floor models, but if someone wants to order it, why not offer it?

Dont be too sad about the spec limitations.... you will laugh when you hear what we have to pay for cars here.

This cost the equivalent of nearly $29,000 at 3 1/2 yrs old - probably more than a new one in the USA, right? :( Makes me mad.....

Dont be too sad about the spec limitations.... you will laugh when you hear what we have to pay for cars here.

You will laugh when you hear what private health insurance costs here in the U.S.

Healthy 52 year old couple, no kids, never go to the hospital unless injured. $9600 for a Bronze plan, $6500 deductible per person before it kicks in. Emergency room visit still costs $250/visit (just to sign in, anything else is extra). Total scam. Silver, Gold and Platinum plans cost a lot more and still require dizzying out of pocket expenses if you need care.

An extra $10,000 in my pocket every year would easily cover the extra cost of a more expensive car. And that's before considering how much more expensive higher education is in the US. Why else do you think not a single American city made it on the list of the 23 cities with the highest standard of living?

You will laugh when you hear what private health insurance costs here in the U.S.

Healthy 52 year old couple, no kids, never go to the hospital unless injured. $9600 for a Bronze plan, $6500 deductible per person before it kicks in. Emergency room visit still costs $250/visit (just to sign in, anything else is extra). Total scam. Silver, Gold and Platinum plans cost a lot more and still require dizzying out of pocket expenses if you need care.

An extra $10,000 in my pocket every year would easily cover the extra cost of a more expensive car. And that's before considering how much more expensive higher education is in the US. Why else do you think not a single American city made it on the list of the 23 cities with the highest standard of living?

Just before we get totally off topic - I realise the private medical system in the USA is in many respects a disgrace, but dont go thinking its free everywhere else.... everybody pays, its just hidden away in taxes etc.

As a Brit, I had been used to the NHS - 'free' at point of delivery, but its been bankrupting the government for years and the suggested cost 'per person per year' in taxes etc is somewhere around the $3000 mark.

Here in NL where I live now - some cost is covered by direct taxes to the government , and the rest is topped up by compulsory private medical insurance. As a family of 3 we pay about $4-4500 per year in private premiums, plus whatever goes via the direct taxes.

How would this compare to the US (out of interest):

3 1/2 yr old CX-5 purchase price approx: 28,000 USD
Yearly road tax: approx 800 USD
Insurance per year: approx 800 USD
Gasoline: Nearly $6 per gallon, in place of approx $2 per gallon in the USA?

The yearly road tax on my diesel Volvo that I just sold was nearly $3,000 per year!! :(

Genuinely, all things considered Id hazard a guess its about 20% cheaper to live in most parts of the USA in comparison to most parts of W. Europe.... id swap in a heartbeat, but my job is prevents me from moving as its 'Federal Government' in the USA and you need to be a natural citizen :(

My higher education in the UK cost me approx $50k, so again, not cheap....

I live near Zrich, probably the most boring city in the world.

CX5 cost $43'000, insurance (23 years driving, no claims) $1600, yearly service $500-$700

Health insurance for myself, wife and 2.5 year old daughter (non smoking) $9000 (state, not private and no dental included, I need to drive to DE to be able to afford any treatment)

Apartment rental for family with 2 kids, $6000 deposit, $2500 per month after that.

Average food bill for family above per year (when you watch how you spend your pennies $12'000

Buy a house, min 33% deposit (10% must be cash), average house price $800'000 (countryside) Zurich region 2-3 million min.

Average yearly salary for a skilled worker 80-100k per year (tax is around 11% max, regardless of income). No idea how that compares to the US.

Standard of living comes at a price.

Last edited:
Standard of living comes at a price.

LOL! No, standard of living is the bottom line. If the average standard of living is higher, the average person is better off!

Not one city in the UK or the USA made it into the 23 cities with the highest standard of living!

Just before we get totally off topic - I realise the private medical system in the USA is in many respects a disgrace, but dont go thinking its free everywhere else.... everybody pays, its just hidden away in taxes etc.

As a Brit, I had been used to the NHS - 'free' at point of delivery, but its been bankrupting the government for years and the suggested cost 'per person per year' in taxes etc is somewhere around the $3000 mark.[/quote]

The UK is hardly a good model when it comes to healthcare, but perhaps a bit better than the US. $3,000/year/person is cheap compared to the US. The $9600/year paid by me for two healthy adults is just the tip of the iceberg (unless we don't actually need to use it). If we do, the annual cost quickly rises to $22,000 (or $11,000/person).

My higher education in the UK cost me approx $50k, so again, not cheap....

Most Brit's I meet are quick to point out they do not consider themselves "Europeans". The UK is hardly a shining example of low cost healthcare or education. In many countries higher education is largely covered by taxes so I just shake my head when people complain about high taxes (when it covers so much of the major expenses us Americans need to shell out of pocket for).

The bottom line is who has the highest standard of living. That's what all this economic activity is for in the first place, to allow a higher standard of living.

This is an interesting discussion, about the cars and cost of living.

kapiteinlangzaa, I've had 3 previous Mustangs. The flat-plane 5.0 must be the sweetest engine ever put in a Mustang. And Oh, The Sound!! I must stay away.... . . . . .... I have an AWD GT, with 2.5l engine. I'm a little miffed that other countries can get an AWD 2.5 with a 6-speed manual, but I realize few others, here, would buy one.

Mike, do you have such an ACA insurance policy? Can't you open a Health Savings Account and use pre-tax money to pay your deductibles and copays? Mine is employer sponsored, but I don't think they have to be.

I picked up a 2012 2.0 AWD model today. This is the GT-M spec (which is top for Europe, at least).
-Leather
-BOSE
-HID lights
-Reverse camera etc
-Heated/electric seats
-RVM
-Removable towing hitch
-19" wheels (not sure I like them!)
Yeah, don't like that 19" wheels either...

But a Euro top-of-line CX-5 with HID without the mandatory headlight washers??? Even the cover of our US version CX-5 Owner's Manual shows them!

I understand the AWD system is permanent, rather than on-demand..... is that correct?
No, CX-5's Active Torque Split AWD system is not permanent but on-demand.

/ ALL-WHEEL-DRIVE TRACTION /
The available Active Torque Split All-Wheel-Drive system in the Mazda CX-5 is a must for anyone who ever encounters snow or other inclement weather. The AWD system monitors wheel speed and engine data, then automatically adjusts to adverse changes in traction and/or road conditions by sending engine power to the wheels with the most grip.

Mike, do you have such an ACA insurance policy? Can't you open a Health Savings Account and use pre-tax money to pay your deductibles and copays? Mine is employer sponsored, but I don't think they have to be.

I've been with Premier Blue Cross for 20 years. I believe all of their policies comply with the ACA. All of my healthcare expenses are tax deductible so that's good. But I don't think people should have to spend significant amounts of their off-work leisure time navigating through complex rules to try to make healthcare more affordable by opening special accounts and making income tax payment more complex than it already is.

Imagine if all roads were privatized and motorists had to spend time each day planning their routes and times of travel to get the most affordable transportation but the cheapest routes and times were not posted in a transparent manner and you never really knew how much one route would ultimately cost vs. another route. That's how I see our current healthcare system.

Back