Mirrors not folding completely

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're clearly doing something different than 99.9% of owners. Maybe you're using them when they're iced up? They have an on/off option, so would function just like the ones in your Toyota. Please tell me you purchased another $2k+ warranty. :D
In a thread full of mirror failures...mine are different, lol!
Also yes, I always get the warranty! Tends to be more than worth it over its life span. My last one would have been if I hadn't traded/refunded, for sure!

Keep in mind that Toyota warranties are backed by Toyota, and are fully transferrable. Resale value is absolutely there.

Last edited:
You're clearly doing something different than 99.9% of owners. Maybe you're using them when they're iced up? They have an on/off option, so would function just like the ones in your Toyota. Please tell me you purchased another $2k+ warranty. :D
Honestly, if there have been many TSBs worldwide from a car manufacture for the same issue, this means there’re quite a few failures happening, even after the revision. The power folding mirrors from Mazda CX-5 has been known as problematic, that’s why there’re several TSBs from Mazda worldwide, and that’s why many people here turned the auto-folding feature off as the feature is not needed by most US customers other than to serve an indicator that the car is locked.

If my CX-5 had the power folding mirrors, I’d turn the auto-folding feature off too just trying to prolong the service life of power folding mirrors.

Here are a couple of posts by Anchorman from UK about his experience on power folding mirrors on his many CX-5’s and a brief description of an early TSB released by the Mazda. Keep in mind Europe has been having power folding mirrors available on CX-5 since 2013.

I*ve had these folding mirrors fail on my 16, 17 and 18. This 19 is only 6 months old so early days. I would think the mechanism is the same as unobs so the improved sealing not come through yet. We get a 3 year warranty so not concerned and if it fails outside the warranty it can stay failed. I*ll get out and fold it. You can now buy the motor separately but getting it out with breaking the glass is unlikely. My complete mirror has the 360 cameras so I expect a complete mirror to be $1000.

Good point, I was referring to the motor that folds the mirrors back. A lot is explained in the TSB which explains the failure mode and the long drawn out procedure for modifying mirrors. It’s the most colourful detailed TSB you can imagine but it’s 3.2 Mb so no chance of me attaching it. Anyway, in there it explains that some mirrors have an alloy die cast backplate and some are plastic which obviously won’t get the white residue problem. On my last 17, it failed in the same way and when I examined the shrapnel left from the obliging truck I could see that the folding worm drive was completely rusted despite being covered in grease. The TSB only includes KE but it certainly effects KFs too.

Honestly, if there have been many TSBs worldwide from a car manufacture for the same issue, this means there’re quite a few failures happening, even after the revision. The power folding mirrors from Mazda CX-5 has been known as problematic, that’s why there’re several TSBs from Mazda worldwide, and that’s why many people here turned the auto-folding feature off as the feature is not needed by most US customers other than to serve an indicator that the car is locked.

If my CX-5 had the power folding mirrors, I’d turn the auto-folding feature off too just trying to prolong the service life of power folding mirrors.
Believe me, 99.9% of owners of current Mazda's, do not see 4, or 5 mirror motors going bad in less than 3 years. Sure, more than that will have an issue with them, but that's not what we're talking about. Uno was doing something abnormal that was causing repeated failures. At least now he won't have to worry about those damn power mirrors. :)

Believe me, 99.9% of owners of current Mazda's, do not see 4, or 5 mirror motors going bad in less than 3 years. Sure, more than that will have an issue with them, but that's not what we're talking about. Uno was doing something abnormal that was causing repeated failures. At least now he won't have to worry about those damn power mirrors. :)

Most owners also don't put 80k miles on their CX-5s in 3 years. Also, it isn't really fair to assume that he was doing something abnormal. Sometimes things break, and Mazda's power folding mirrors aren't exactly known for being bulletproof as referenced by yrwei52.

Most owners also don't put 80k miles on their CX-5s in 3 years. Also, it isn't really fair to assume that he was doing something abnormal. Sometimes things break, and Mazda's power folding mirrors aren't exactly known for being bulletproof as referenced by yrwei52.
Why do miles on a vehicle make any difference, as far as the mirror motors are concerned? We probably use ours more in a day than he does.

Why do miles on a vehicle make any difference, as far as the mirror motors are concerned? We probably use ours more in a day than he does.

Well you definitely do now, since he doesn't have the CX-5 anymore. But that's another assumption. You could be right, and the miles don't make a difference. I'm keeping an open mind and considering the fact that all those miles may mean he turns his car on and off a lot more than someone who puts on half that mileage in the same time frame (wear on the motor). Or maybe all that mileage means the car gets dirty more quickly, or he's a real estate agent who wants a clean car more often to present an image (more car washes, more risk of water intrusion). Maybe those miles are from visiting areas that are subject to snow, ice, and freezing rain (motor wear again).

I'm not suggesting that any of these are actual reasons for why they failed. But they are possibilities. Again, it's also possible that he's just unlucky and got a bunch of motor replacements that weren't up to par.

Just to be clear, mine were all different cars. Usually one went but the dealer did both while they had it.

Well as Posted earlier dealr replacedmine under warranty and all was well ...for while. Now the passenger side doesn't always open. I've been trying to see if there's a pattern. I seems the failure occurs after the car has been parked in the hot sun for an hour or so. When it happens I can open it with the switch on the door. Wierd! I'm not sure I 'll take it back. I'd have to park it outside the dealer for an hour then hope the failure occurs to show the mechanic. A royal pain.

Well as Posted earlier dealr replacedmine under warranty and all was well ...for while. Now the passenger side doesn't always open. I've been trying to see if there's a pattern. I seems the failure occurs after the car has been parked in the hot sun for an hour or so. When it happens I can open it with the switch on the door. Wierd! I'm not sure I 'll take it back. I'd have to park it outside the dealer for an hour then hope the failure occurs to show the mechanic. A royal pain.
It’s really disappointing and must be costing them a small fortune in warranty claims because it’s been going on for years.

If you don't mind working on things those folding mirror motors are pretty cheap. I have power folding mirrors on my '12 GX 460 that still work perfectly but know someday they will fail. I picked up a couple replacements from Aliexpress for only $34/each. No idea the work involved to swap these on a CX-5 but pretty easy on the GX. Even cheaper for the CX-5 - these are for older models but look around on there...I can't imagine newer versions aren't available as well or Mazda didn't just use the same motor.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001255402636.html

It is interesting there are so many failures of this part. I have them on my 9 year old GX 460 and my father has them on his 1993 Isuzu Trooper (28 years old) and they still work and have never been replaced.

It is interesting there are so many failures of this part. I have them on my 9 year old GX 460 and my father has them on his 1993 Isuzu Trooper (28 years old) and they still work and have never been replaced.
I know you won’t have any problems on your 9-year-old Lexus GX with those power folding mirrors, as many friends and family have them on their RX and have never heard any failures. Not sure on Isuzu Trooper but that pair have also lasted 28 years! :rolleyes:

I can't speak to the durability of the original factory mirrors. For all I know mine could have functioned properly for the life of the car. In my case, and I don't know how he did it but a carwash employee forced the mirror or something that screwed up the motor because immediately after I picked up the car and moved it to another parking space in the same shopping center parking lot I discovered it wouldn't close completely. It is evidently a componant that Mazda can't provide a reliable replacement for.

I can't speak to the durability of the original factory mirrors. For all I know mine could have functioned properly for the life of the car. In my case, and I don't know how he did it but a carwash employee forced the mirror or something that screwed up the motor because immediately after I picked up the car and moved it to another parking space in the same shopping center parking lot I discovered it wouldn't close completely. It is evidently a componant that Mazda can't provide a reliable replacement for.
It's been said before...you gotta find a different car wash.

Yes agreed but I will comment that the replacement mirrors have been opening and closing just fine for the last week or so with no glitches. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

They usually failed on road trips, actually. So just driving? More than 2 occasions saw road trips as the failure time.

In a thread full of mirror failures...mine are different, lol!
The issue is that your story is never consistent.
You've posted multiple times about the mirrors, and the cost always varies...

- Each failure cost $741 or so, IIRC, per the bill, per unit/labor. That is 4($741) so far, half under the 3/36, and half under the extended. Betcha it pays for itself in mirror motors ALONE!
- but considering minor equipment has already racked up a $1500 tab on the 3/36 warranty,
- The bill was $550 per side to the company supplying the warranty
- I am glad I at least got the extended warranty, because each failure is $5-600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back