Mirrors not folding completely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes the dealership management makes a huge difference. I'm seeing a change (for the worse) in my dealership too, now that the management has changed. Luckily my senior service advisor is a great guy and listens. But there's also the problem of turnover.

When I got my first Mazda 6 (2004), I had it for about 20,000km when I started noticing the transmission was shifting *really* rough. My girl at the time even commented that the car wasn't as nice shifting as it was when I got it, so I took it to the dealer I bought it from.

They literally brushed me off - took it for a drive, and said there was nothing wrong - it was meant to be "sporty"

I wasnt' satisfied. SO I ended up going to this dealer I'm dealing with now.

The lead tech went wiht me for a drive, and soon as it shifted from 1st to 2nd, he said "That?" and I said "Yeah"..

He immediately turned around, popped the hood and pulled the tranny dipstick.. and he showed it to me and said "what colour is that to you?". It was brown/black.

They literally apologized for the inconvenience, gave me a car off the lot to drive for a week while they got me a new tranny.

TOTALLY different experience to what I have now with the same dealer.

3 visits, twice to waste my time, to get it fixed.

Definitely feel your concerns too here!

Has anyone experienced issues after having the mirrors replaced via the TSB? I know of at least one member who is on his second set, but I think his were replaced before the TSB was released, so his mirrors may just be another pair of "defectives". I just want to see if Mazda is now replacing the failing mirrors with a "revised" version.

Before I call my dealer, I wondered if anyone else had this problem. I have a 2019 signature and just noticed the folding mirrors are only partially closing. Any easy fix?

Just joined this forum to ask the same question....im on my 4th Mazda6 with this issue.... my main dealer sorts it but through a friend/Mazda mechanic...All they do is revolve your mirror glass then squirt wd40 in...which from experience works...then bang when your warranty runs out they hit you with a 200 quid bill for replacement motor........The only gripe i have with my Mazdas....

Last edited by a moderator:
Just joined this forum to ask the same question....im on my 4th Mazda6 with this issue.... my main dealer sorts it but through a friend/Mazda mechanic...All they do is revolve your mirror glass then squirt wd40 in...which from experience works...then bang when your warranty runs out they hit you with a 200 quid bill for replacement motor........The only gripe i have with my Mazdas....

You've had 4 separate Mazda6 vehicles with this issue? What year were they?

If you read earlier in the thread, there is a TSB for this issue on the CX-5 and the CX-9 (but not the Mazda6). This is the TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10171848-0001.pdf

I'm not sure if it is relevant to the Mazda6 at all, but I will copy your post to the Mazda6 forum and maybe someone with some experience will be able to assist. In the meantime, I would attempt to contact Mazda headquarters if you aren't happy with the outcome at the dealer level (or try a different Mazda dealer).

Additionally, you don't have to replace the mirror with an OEM Mazda unit if price is an issue. There are aftermarket/remanufactured replacements available.

Mazda EU, recently updated their TSB for this issue, now includes more reasons for possible failure as well as more recent models, I suspect there is or will be an updated TSB for US models, but I could be wrong.

Attachments

• R019-18.pdf
    727.8 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Just had a visit to the Mazda dealer workshop since the driver side outer mirror is erratic. Fails to close most of the time. The car is three years old and has done 40000 km. Here Mazda comes with 10 year warranty so let us hope they abide by it. They have sent the enquiry to the Mazda head office with photo of the non closing mirror. I can not help but wonder if it the motor or the three way mirror switch at the door itself that is at fault. Playing with that switch some times restores the function, only to be dysfunctional again after a while. Difficult to believe that Japanese part suppliers are sub optimal. This should not happen In a Japan built car. Other wise the car has been perfect.

Just had a visit to the Mazda dealer workshop since the driver side outer mirror is erratic. Fails to close most of the time. The car is three years old and has done 40000 km. Here Mazda comes with 10 year warranty so let us hope they abide by it. They have sent the enquiry to the Mazda head office with photo of the non closing mirror. I can not help but wonder if it the motor or the three way mirror switch at the door itself that is at fault. Playing with that switch some times restores the function, only to be dysfunctional again after a while. Difficult to believe that Japanese part suppliers are sub optimal. This should not happen In a Japan built car. Other wise the car has been perfect.
This’s a very common problem on Mazda CX-5 for many years. Not the motor or switch problem. Have you read the TSB above by Hawke?

Yes I have read the above mentioned TSB report after returning from the mazda dealer. I just hope they honour the 10 years warranty and change on both sides. The problem is intermittent just now.

Just want to give a feed back on my post on the malfunctioning of exterior folding mirror. The Mazda dealer workshop got in touch with head office here in Sweden after receiving my complaint. Within a week the head office had sent the repair kit and I had it done on both sides today and they are now working as they should normally. All covered by Mazda 10 year warranty. Let us hope that this is a lasting repair.

Just want to give a feed back on my post on the malfunctioning of exterior folding mirror. The Mazda dealer workshop got in touch with head office here in Sweden after receiving my complaint. Within a week the head office had sent the repair kit and I had it done on both sides today and they are now working as they should normally. All covered by Mazda 10 year warranty. Let us hope that this is a lasting repair.
Thanks for the update. If you noticed, the power folding mirrors from Mazda are having similar problems since gen-1 CX-5. I’ve read reports for the same problem at the beginning when I joined the forum. I was surprised to see the same old problem on power folding mirrors keeps popping up on gen-2 CX-5 which I though Mazda should have resolved the problem long time ago. Now many gen-2 CX-5 owners have to turn the auto folding mirrors off to prolong the service life.

A couple of friends of mine who have those power folding mirrors and they programmed them to fold each time they lock the car. One is 2012 Lexus CT 200h and the other one is 2013 Lexus RX 350. They have never experienced any problems on their power folding mirrors with so many times of folding in and out for all these years. Mazda needs to learn this power folding mirror technology from Toyota.

Thanks for the update. If you noticed, the power folding mirrors from Mazda are having similar problems since gen-1 CX-5. I’ve read reports for the same problem at the beginning when I joined the forum. I was surprised to see the same old problem on power folding mirrors keeps popping up on gen-2 CX-5 which I though Mazda should have resolved the problem long time ago. Now many gen-2 CX-5 owners have to turn the auto folding mirrors off to prolong the service life.

A couple of friends of mine who have those power folding mirrors and they programmed them to fold each time they lock the car. One is 2012 Lexus CT 200h and the other one is 2013 Lexus RX 350. They have never experienced any problems on their power folding mirrors with so many times of folding in and out for all these years. Mazda needs to learn this power folding mirror technology from Toyota.
Agreed. Even though the repair seems to be a three stage improvement over time and generations according to the recall printed in the earlier post, I don't feel very comfortable and may have to switch off that function to preserve it. My wife's Corolla /Auris has it and it never has had a problem with it. I doubt if Mazda makes its own folding mechanism. They need to change the parts supplier.

Agreed. Even though the repair seems to be a three stage improvement over time and generations according to the recall printed in the earlier post, I don't feel very comfortable and may have to switch off that function to preserve it. My wife's Corolla /Auris has it and it never has had a problem with it. I doubt if Mazda makes its own folding mechanism. They need to change the parts supplier.

Its quite possible that they did. I believe the TSB posted states that new mirrors (or new motors) are installed to resolve the issue. I don't know if these new motors came from the old supplier or not, but so far it seems that those who have has new motors installed, have not had issues since.

In any case, I'd keep an eye on this forum. @Unobtanium has been quite consistent in reporting his issues with the folding mirrors. I believe he had them serviced according to the TSB some time ago, so if they fail again, he will likely post about it here.

Its quite possible that they did. I believe the TSB posted states that new mirrors (or new motors) are installed to resolve the issue. I don't know if these new motors came from the old supplier or not, but so far it seems that those who have has new motors installed, have not had issues since.

In any case, I'd keep an eye on this forum. @Unobtanium has been quite consistent in reporting his issues with the folding mirrors. I believe he had them serviced according to the TSB some time ago, so if they fail again, he will likely post about it here.
"Luckily 10 years warranty should cover the next repair on the folding mirror if it happens again", says my wife. Perhaps I should listen to her but half the fun is worrying about your car and planning the next DIY fix.😃

Update...Just passed the six month anniversary of the folding mirrors on my 2019 repaired under warranty. No problems since the repair, despite a wet winter. :cool:

Hmm 9 months old 2020 cx-5, folding mirrors issues especially after washing the car... I know, power wash is not recommended but hey, I am paying attention and anyway, this shouldn't have happened only after a few months, my first mazda 2 had 0 issues, the second one, mazda 3 started fooling the mirrors around after 1 year, the third one, cx30, no issues in 9 months and this cx5, the forth mazda, disappointing, everything OK but the mirrors 😡

I booked an appointment for tomorrow and I'll update you later.

An update about the above issue: The dealer has simply replaced them saying that Mazda is aware of this problem and the dealer has a full stock of mirrors. lol

Luckily I'm still under warranty.

Mazda replaced both mirrors after two years under warranty. One was apparently damaged by a car wash worker and wouldn't close all the way half the time. I told Mazda that only one was failing but they said it was necessary to replace both as they'd been updated or something. Work fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back