I want to buy a 2023 CX-5. What are the major issues?

what part of the front of the vehicle to you get filmed.... entire hood? part of the hood? entire lower front of car? entire both side fenders ? Whats the minimum area to eliminate the chips?
I had about 1/2 way up the hood(from the leading edge above the grill) and over to the black plastic around the front wheel wells, front bumper, the roof line from the front window to the sunroof, A- pillars up to the level of the sunroof, painted part of the wing mirrors, and the top of the painted part of the all four door sills + an extra 2" over the edge next to the seats. Some of these PPF bits came as a kit ready to install. Other bits were cut to fit by my installer. Lots of pictures of kits online. Be sure to search out an experienced/recommended installer.

My 2023 is Mica Blue. About 1500 miles on it. I actually prefer the infotainment center, but I ditched smart phones after I left the tech industry. I did recently pick up a FOSS Linux based privacy oriented smart phone and am exploring the possibilities, but still do not use it on a daily basis.

I load up my music on a 256GB thumb drive and play it from there.

I love tech, but I want total control over it. I own my phone, it does not own me!
"I own my phone, it does not own me!"
AMEN, Brother....AMEN!

"I own my phone, it does not own me!"
AMEN, Brother....AMEN!
Ha, same here. I have the cheapest iPhone available and did not hook it up to the car. I've never investigated how to do it and I don't care. If the phone rings when I'm driving I ignore it.

I have the occasional problem with the phone and I go to an iPhone forum for help, and the people there are in another world. They CANNOT WAIT for the next $1200 phone to come out -- some will buy a new one every year if available. It's mind-numbing. They defend iPhones like it was their own kid.

To the OP, if (s)he's still around: I have 5,800 miles on my '23 red CX5 Preferred, which I picked up 10 months ago. It's been fine, gets 30 MPG. I backed into some mailboxes a few months ago and messed up the left rear, but got it fixed at a local body shop. They did a great job on it.

I purchased my first smart phone/cell phone on April 7, 2023. I still forget it most of the time. I have been rear ended by people who were talking on that infernal device instead of managing their driving.

My new CX-5 (which has not been hit except by three separate birds who must have been on their cell phones) is Soul Red Metallic with Premium Plus trim. I have thus far put 1,334 miles on the automobile. I fixed the seat issue (Un comfortability) with a seat cushion and bought a matching one for the passenger where my Shihpoo sits. I have not experienced any other issues thus far, and keep a four car length distance (setting on the dashboard) from other automobiles to minimize the dings and drive safe. The engine and transmission are both performing quite well, as I would hope with only six weeks of ownership.

Long time lurker, first time poster. Like the OP, considering purchase of the CX5.

https://cararac.com/blog/mazda-cylinder-deactivation-problems-solutions.html

Saw the above article from Sep '22 concerning CDA which I have concerns. Article seems to be a fair, well written article. Realize this subject has been discussed ad nauseam but would appreciate opinions/experiences. It is just difficult to realize why Mazda continues with this system which seemingly provides little benefit. Realize purchase of a turbo would eliminate this concern, but do not prefer.

Please note this excerpt from article. Has anyone experienced oil consumption when over 30K miles ? Would encourage you to read the article, seems to provide thorough explanation of CDA.

Despite this advantage, many Mazda vehicle owners still feel that their vehicles' oil consumption is excessive despite having cylinder deactivation. In fact, increased oil consumption typically becomes apparent after traveling about 30,000 miles.

@yrwei52 Hope you reply. Love/respect your critiques. :)

Why doesn't Mazda just get rid of the CD? The gain is maybe 1mpg but the risk and problems are just not worth it.

Same reason they don't include a real spare tire and are putting auto-start into some new models: EPA mandates on fuel economy.

I swapped out my mini doughnut spare for a full sized rim spare. Yes, it doesn't sit flush under the rear cover but having a full sized spare is such a peace of mind. Who wants to deal with a small spare that cannot be used on the front tires anyways and cant go over 55mph.

I'm fortunate I got the last of the 2017's on the model lot. They had 2018's on the lot but then read about the cylinder deactivation for 2018 and I said to myself, this sounds like a future problem. Turns out I was right. Overly complicated CD system. My 2017 has been perfect so far. 53k miles and not an issue.

EPA mandates are a whole other topic but Mazda really dropped the ball with these weight savings and MPG savings with CD. CD has been a problem with most manufacturers. GM has a horrid history with CD and most car owners find ways to turn them off due to the problems it causes.

I'll never understand why people are so afraid of Turbo engines. The technology is solid and has been around since the 60's . They are VERY reliable. Look at all the bad turbo posts on Mazdas247...oh wait... TMK there isn't a single one. :D Get the damn turbo! :D

Long time lurker, first time poster. Like the OP, considering purchase of the CX5.

https://cararac.com/blog/mazda-cylinder-deactivation-problems-solutions.html

Saw the above article from Sep '22 concerning CDA which I have concerns. Article seems to be a fair, well written article. Realize this subject has been discussed ad nauseam but would appreciate opinions/experiences. It is just difficult to realize why Mazda continues with this system which seemingly provides little benefit. Realize purchase of a turbo would eliminate this concern, but do not prefer.

Please note this excerpt from article. Has anyone experienced oil consumption when over 30K miles ? Would encourage you to read the article, seems to provide thorough explanation of CDA.

Despite this advantage, many Mazda vehicle owners still feel that their vehicles' oil consumption is excessive despite having cylinder deactivation. In fact, increased oil consumption typically becomes apparent after traveling about 30,000 miles.

@yrwei52 Hope you reply. Love/respect your critiques. :)

You should be fully aware about my position against the cylinder deactivation. IMO the theory is flawed when you have deactivated cylinders but they’re NOT truly “deactivated” as the positions are still going up and down which compress and de-compress the air in “sealed” cylinders which will need extra energy. Worse, the hot and cold temperature changes when the cylinders activated and deactivated cause the nightmare by engineers to design a good way for heat dissipation. The pre-mature wear on these cylinders are expected IMO and oil consumption could occur because of that.

I can accept turbo and CVT, as they at least look good in theory. But cylinder deactivation? Not for me.

Ahh ! Thanks, did not go back far enough in my search.

Still question why Mazda continues with a CDA system which provides questionable benefit.
If you know the history of Mazda, they tend to try too hard to be different from other car manufactures. They insisted the rotary engines which had some unsolvable issues which made them burning oil and using too much gas. Mazda almost went bankrupt because of insisting the rotary engines even had to lie about the engine output! Mazda eventually had to kill the rotary engines in 1990’s due to the tougher emission standards where the engine simply couldn’t pass.

The current SkyActiv gasoline and diesel engines were also pretty unique at the time in 2012. The original version of gasoline engines survived the long-term reliability test but the later versions of turbo and cylinder deactivation do suffer different amount of problems.

I’m afraid the top executive of Mazda had made a couple of wrong decisions in recent years by adding very complicated cylinder deactivation、and using the 2.5L instead of the 2.0L to add the turbo. Once they made the decisions, Mazda will try to defend it and use it until the wheel falls off. Think about it, if Mazda drops the CD, how do they justify millions of dollars spent on development of the CD?

I'll never understand why people are so afraid of Turbo engines. The technology is solid and has been around since the 60's . They are VERY reliable. Look at all the bad turbo posts on Mazdas247...oh wait... TMK there isn't a single one. :D Get the damn turbo! :D
Although the reliability on turbo has been improved drastically in recent years, but I still won’t get one unless there’s no other choices. My concern is still the very high temperature. The turbo technology started on airplanes but the air is very cold when the plane is flying. By using turbo in the car the high temperature will always be an issue. Do you keep the engine idling for a while to let the oil circulating and cool down the turbo charger a bit before you shut off the engine?

To me, I hate to have additional turbo components which eventually may need replacement when the vehicle is getting older.

yrwei52: You're spot on. The heat generated by a turbine accelerates the breakdown of the plastic and rubber parts found in the engine bay. Also, SAE engine oil is not a true "turbine oil" as SAE engine oil is more designed to play its part of the "hydrodynamic wedge" between crankshaft journals and sliding surfaces such as cam lobes. Whereas a true "turbine oil" is designed to be more protective against oxidation and thermal degradation, even after shutdown. Turbos have their place of course, but an owner of a turbo equipped vehicle should be aware that the extra "boost" they get from their engine comes with a price. (Apologies if this text is in "bold"...I could not get it to un-bold.)

Wow, there are some serious misconceptions about turbos. They do not run so hot they....breakdown the rubber parts of the engine. I thought i had heard it all. They certainly don't need 'special turbo oil'.
Although the reliability on turbo has been improved drastically in recent years, but I still won’t get one unless there’s no other choices.
In recent years? Turbos have been VERY reliable for decades...
By using turbo in the car the high temperature will always be an issue. Do you keep the engine idling for a while to let the oil circulating and cool down the turbo charger a bit before you shut off the engine?
No. Not even on hot days. You only need to 'cool your turbo' if you have been "getting on" your turbo. If I lived at the end of a freeway ramp, I might idle for 60-90 seconds before shutting the car off. But normal, just driving around city streets at 25-35 mph, isn't making your turbo too hot unless you're really gunning it from the stop lights. And if you were gunning it, then you drive normally the last couple miles to your house. Pretty easy actually.
To me, I hate to have additional turbo components which eventually may need replacement when the vehicle is getting older.
Most modern turbos will last just as long as your engine will. I've had 7 turbo cars, including the current Volvo. One of them needed a rebuild, not even a replacement. That Saab convertible I bought used with 30K miles on it. I don't even fault the turbo there, I shouldn't have bought that car. Those first 30,000 miles it began life with were as ....a rental car.
As Consumer reports once said when we were discussing this on the Saab board: turbos are no more or no less reliable then the engine they are mounted to.
Let me see if I can find that quote...
"Sometimes the weak spot of the powertrain can be the transmission rather than the engine. These transmission problems could give the appearance that the addition of a turbo to a car model hurt reliability, but that might not tell the full story.
Consumer Reports’ reliability surveys have also found that manufacturers with a lot of experience building turbocharged engines—Audi, BMW, Porsche—tend to have more reliable powertrains. But manufacturers new to the turbocharged market and without as much experience designing these engines are still working out the kinks."*

Not the exact quote I was thinking of as it was from a much older article. But still makes my point. And bringing this talk specifically back to Mazda on that quote: Yea, Mazda might be new to the turbo game, but the Mazda powertrain has proven to be pretty reliable.

This is absolutely a hill I will die on: Turbo equipped engines are no more problematic then any other type of engine.
I am looking for a 3rd car now and I'm hoping to land, you betcha'...something with a turbo.

*Source: Are Turbocharged Engines Less Reliable? - Consumer Reports

Our experience with an Audi Q5 has put me off turbos if I can avoid them. It was a big reason we bought the CX-5 NA.

The turbo failed on our Q5 at 66K miles following the recommended maintenance schedule (we had AudiCare for the first 50K). The turbo failed and was on backorder for 7 weeks. The repair cost $2500 because the turbo is only sold as a complete unit (turbo + manifold) on the B9 Q5.

Well that's horrifying. And understandable why you are put off of turbos.
I'm certainly not saying they cannot die, but I'd bet those Audi turbo fail pretty rarely. Unless their is some known failure issue with that particular one.

I’ve never heard good reliability stories from Audi owners. That has steered me from that brand entirely. I’m admittedly wary of the added complexity of the turbo as well, but thought YOLO and bought the ‘23 yesterday. All I can do is enjoy it and maintain it properly.

Cylinder deactivation definitely comes with trade offs that I don’t think they are worth it. Knock on wood, no issues with my mother in laws ‘18 yet. Drawbacks of CD are well studied and understood by auto engineers such as oil bypassing the piston rings while the cylinder is “deactivated”. I found a good paper on it years ago where they measured and determined how long the cylinders could be off without losing to much oil over a complete oil change interval. Honda screwed the pooch years ago with their V6 and inadequate piston rings. They’d get stuck with the gaps in the rings aligned allowing oil to flow up into the deactivated cylinder. This fouled the spark plugs and caused all sorts of issues. Driving the V6 while the cylinders were deactivated was also not pleasant. I could feel and hear the difference when I owned an Odyssey. Supposedly they fixed the design with new rings but numerous engine rebuilds spooked owners in the know.

I like that the Mazda turbo is for performance and not efficiency gains. The trend of smaller motors plus turbo to hit gas mileage targets initially worried me, but I’m not seeing mass reports of turbo failures on those mass market cars. Think Ford Ecoboost and such. It seems oil dilution is a bigger problem for those smaller engines in cold climates (Honda anybody?) vs turbo failures.

Last edited:
Back