I want to buy a 2023 CX-5. What are the major issues?

I've heard both things about Audi, good and bad. My buddy had a TT, my god was that a money pit. Yet, a mechanic friend of a friend told me "I'd love to have an Audi. They are expensive to fix, but they never break".
Actually starting to think he doesn't get many AT HIS SHOP and doesn't know many Audi owners. LOL

I've heard both things about Audi, good and bad. My buddy had a TT, my god was that a money pit. Yet, a mechanic friend of a friend told me "I'd love to have an Audi. They are expensive to fix, but they never break".
Actually starting to think he doesn't get many AT HIS SHOP and doesn't know many Audi owners. LOL
Being a mechanic he probably appreciates all the engineering and tech in Audis and knows he can fix problems that may come up.

Well that's horrifying. And understandable why you are put off of turbos.
I'm certainly not saying they cannot die, but I'd bet those Audi turbo fail pretty rarely. Unless their is some known failure issue with that particular one.
I was calling dealers in my surrounding states trying to find a replacement turbo because I had zero faith in my local dealer. Every place I called said that turbo assembly was in the top five backordered parts for Audi.

The fact they made the waste gate actuator (which is what failed) a non-serviceable part was a huge contributor to the backorder issue. Other Audi models could have the waste gate actuator replaced $200 part + labor.

In recent years? Turbos have been VERY reliable for decades...
I used to get only German cars and VW’s 1.8T and 2.0T were having too many failures on turbo components too. You can’t deny the very high temperature which could cause many potential problems to the engine and turbo. You said we may want to keep the engine idle a bit before we turn off the engine after a heavy use of the turbo charger, that’s some pre-caution you’d take to protect the turbo. I definitely prefer a simple traditional non-turbo engine if possible as I usually keep my car for a long time, and the added turbo components will be something I don’t want to worry about when my car is getting older.

Mazda’s 2.5T has its share of problems too. Cracked head, although Mazda claimed they had modified, still requires some time to prove the fix has truly fixed the head problem.

I’ve never heard good reliability stories from Audi owners. That has steered me from that brand entirely. I’m admittedly wary of the added complexity of the turbo as well, but thought YOLO and bought the ‘23 yesterday. All I can do is enjoy it and maintain it properly.

Cylinder deactivation definitely comes with trade offs that I don’t think they are worth it. Knock on wood, no issues with my mother in laws ‘18 yet. Drawbacks of CD are well studied and understood by auto engineers such as oil bypassing the piston rings while the cylinder is “deactivated”. I found a good paper on it years ago where they measured and determined how long the cylinders could be off without losing to much oil over a complete oil change interval. Honda screwed the pooch years ago with their V6 and inadequate piston rings. They’d get stuck with the gaps in the rings aligned allowing oil to flow up into the deactivated cylinder. This fouled the spark plugs and caused all sorts of issues. Driving the V6 while the cylinders were deactivated was also not pleasant. I could feel and hear the difference when I owned an Odyssey. Supposedly they fixed the design with new rings but numerous engine rebuilds spooked owners in the know.

I like that the Mazda turbo is for performance and not efficiency gains. The trend of smaller motors plus turbo to hit gas mileage targets initially worried me, but I’m not seeing mass reports of turbo failures on those mass market cars. Think Ford Ecoboost and such. It seems oil dilution is a bigger problem for those smaller engines in cold climates (Honda anybody?) vs turbo failures.
those small engines break before the turbos :)
they rarely last 200,000 unless maintained religiously. Problem with turbos nowadays is usually not changing oil or using proper oil.
Mazda may be more reliable than Audi but to change the turbo you gotta dissasemble lots of parts under the car due to lack of space where they tucked the turbo, i.e just to get exhaust out, etc.

those small engines break before the turbos :)
they rarely last 200,000 unless maintained religiously. Problem with turbos nowadays is usually not changing oil or using proper oil.
Mazda may be more reliable than Audi but to change the turbo you gotta dissasemble lots of parts under the car due to lack of space where they tucked the turbo, i.e just to get exhaust out, etc.
Very true. I read here that removing the dipstick or filling the transmission could be tricky due to the turbos placement. Can’t wait to find out for myself!

Very true. I read here that removing the dipstick or filling the transmission could be tricky due to the turbos placement. Can’t wait to find out for myself!
And changing the belt tensioner (and belts) won’t be as easy as your 2.0L either as the space is much tighter.

Funny story, I have had 3 Audis since 2008, all with turbos and various tunes. Never once have they left me stranded or broke by the side of the road. Do the services required, change Full Syn Oil every 6500 miles...TROUBLEFREE. And I drive the s*** out of them!
audi.JPG

I'm looking to buy a 2023 CX-5 Preferred, Premium, or Premium Plus. I'm curious to know what the most significant problems are. For example, transmission failures, major engine problems, major electrical problems, water intrusion, paint flaking off, etc., etc. Please advise. Many thanks.
I traded my 22 CE for a 23 premium - and I can say that there are thus far ( 2000 miles ) no issues.
I didnt like the power driver seat moving backwards each time I unlocked the car to get in, but solved the issue by pairing my remote to the corresponding # for my seat position - It stays put now - I foresaw the power seat moving back and forward every time I get in as ridiculous and eventually would fail -- so I also found not locking it stopped this issue as well-- I actually think Mazda worked out some transmission software kinks in 23 and the engine is not jumpy like the 22 was on break in - also---I may B pelted with tomatos here,, but the suspension has definitely been improved on the 23 as well . Im very very happy with the upgrade as trading in a 1 year old vehicle is a costly endeavor -The paddle shifters are butter and the bose is great- Mi drive "sport mode" is a seriously noticeable power addition - Apple car play works well -- Its a winner - I think I got a good one . I pandered the Premium Plus ..and the extra cameras and other small amenities and out of all the things I wish were on the premium that are on the plus only fog lights are missed -- Zero issues - Zero - I think wiring fog lights may be a project I will take on after the warranty expires .

Seats with motors have been around far longer then folding mirrors. It's pretty perfected at this point.
IDK, I've just never subscribed to the school of "Let me use a thing less so it won't break" ... ;')

Seat failures are non-existent.
Seats with motors have been around far longer then folding mirrors. It's pretty perfected at this point.
IDK, I've just never subscribed to the school of "Let me use a thing less so it won't break" ... ;')
For Mazda, things could be different:

Power-seat noise

2013 CX-5 power seat parts

5AD35FA3-6B18-4C44-8E00-0B82578DD246.jpeg

A806806E-B4AF-42CC-B766-A671ED97A920.jpeg

1BF3B5A3-20BC-4638-B3E3-02700F03FB8D.jpeg

My power seat is also very noisy when moving on driver seat even though we seldom use it. The second long cable is waiting to get replaced whenever I have time to do it.

Yes if my CX-5 had those features I’d disable the auto function on power seat so that it won’t move around each time I get in. The same on power folding mirrors.

I just did a search only putting in power seats and there are bunch that pop up and they all aren't happy posts...but I agree I use my stuff as intended but I only keep vehicles for a couple years and rarely longer than 3 years.

Leave it to Yrwei to always try and argue with me when I say something is reliable. (Still waiting for my headlights to fail, bro).
I just did a search only putting in power seats and there are bunch that pop up and they all aren't happy posts...but I agree I use my stuff as intended but I only keep vehicles for a couple years and rarely longer than 3 years.
Yea, i did that too. I found barely anything.. beyond Yrwei's 2 posts. 2.
Posts about power seats: CX9, Can I add memory seats? , Programming, Are the seats 9 way?, Seat memory changes, Seats work but loud, why no power seat for passenger, oh and 1 more "grinding noise'....hardly lots of issues.

Standing by that statement: Seats do not often require any kind of work and do not need to be babied.

Leave it to Yrwei to always try and argue with me when I say something is reliable. (Still waiting for my headlights to fail, bro).
If you claim your 2016.5 CX-5 is the most reliable CX-5 overall, I’d agree totally and I’ve been saying that many times. But by saying “power seat failures are non-existent”? Just can’t agree!

Still waiting”? So you haven’t take your 2016.5 CX-5 in for the official LED headlight recall to get LED headlights replaced? :unsure:

Standing by that statement: Seats do not often require any kind of work and do not need to be babied.
You don’t have to Google it, just do a search on our forum or click the links I provided. You’ll see more reports than Google results for the power seat problem on the CX-5.

If not those Chinese manufactures who are making this power seat short cable substitute, we’ll have to buy the entire driver seat base for $700 if your short cable is broken! (See pictures posted by others above).

Last edited:
I'm looking to buy a 2023 CX-5 Preferred, Premium, or Premium Plus. I'm curious to know what the most significant problems are. For example, transmission failures, major engine problems, major electrical problems, water intrusion, paint flaking off, etc., etc. Please advise. Many thanks.
Motor review - has accurate evolutionary data on many brand engines and they give the short but accurate story on the cx-5 skyactive 2.5 from inception to now - and even a sub-text on the turbo -
- not a sales link or advertising - raw data only -

Motor review - has accurate evolutionary data on many brand engines and they give the short but accurate story on the cx-5 skyactive 2.5 from inception to now - and even a sub-text on the turbo -
- not a sales link or advertising - raw data only -
Read the article and found a couple of errors:

1. “The 2.5 SkyActiv-G (the PY-VPR and PY-VPS) is 2.5-liter gasoline engine which was firstly introduced in the Mazda KE CX-5 and the GJ Mazda6 in 2012.

Mazda’s SkyActiv-G 2.5L came out in 2013 in Japan and some other regions, and started to offer it on 2014 MY in the US.

2. “Also, this big four-cylinder SkyActiv-G engine has a balancer unit. It consists of two the crankshaft gear-driven balancing shafts that rotated at twice the speed of the crankshaft.

A single 17-lb balance shaft added to the 2.5L from the original SkyActiv-G 2.0L isn’t the gear-driven, but driven by a small chain from crankshaft which also drives the oil pump.

Balance Shaft Delete

Unfortunately a couple of pictures showing the 2.5L with the balance shaft and chain and the 2.0L without the balance shaft and chain are no longer available in above thread.

Last edited:
Still waiting”? So you haven’t take your 2016.5 CX-5 in for the official LED headlight recall to get LED headlights replaced? :unsure:
Hahaha! No, my friend. My car wasn't on the recall list. As I told you many years ago, and for once I was right....so far anyway...this is not an issue that affected EVERY 16 CX-5.

You don’t have to Google it, just do a search on our forum or click the links I provided. You’ll see more reports than Google results for the power seat problem on the CX-5.
I know seats can break. It is still exceptionally rare. Not dealing in absolutes ;) But in my actual life experience I've never once ever had a car seat break. Can't think of a single soul that's ever had a car seat break.

Back