Full Transmission Replacement

According to TrueDelta, the CX-5 has fairly good reliability.
You use TrueDelta data but others and I use NHTSA data. Just like those posts we saw here for 2016 transmission problems, we see significant more number of complaints on transmission for 2016 CX-5 at NHTSA website, especially comparing to other major competitors with 3 times more volumes than CX-5's in the US.

I don't think anyone can "smell" a problem in the data . . . unless it's on the bottom of their shoe. The evidence is either there, or it isn't. In this case, I think it isn't. That doesn't mean there's no problem, and certainly the owners who've had to replace transmissions under warranty certainly had problems! But to say you can smell a problem here is trusting intuition, which is notoriously unreliable except in specific situations - deep experience with plenty of rapid feedback to allow learning from that experience.

Otherwise, intuition is a lot of BS, frankly. People use it to fool themselves into thinking they know something when they don't. Check it out in Daniel Kahneman's "Thinking, Fast and Slow".
I think you're referring post #3 in this thread:
I can smell there're lots more having the same problem. My guess is there was a batch of transmission parts having the quality issues which cause the transmission to fail.
And post #137
Mazda USA says there was a part problem in some of the early 2016 6 speed transmissions that was rectified in product builds on or after August. Perhaps there are other gremlins lurking, but this seems to make sense. They were very helpful.
So even Mazda has admitted certain transmission problems on 2016 CX-5 which exactly matched what I said earlier. Yeah my "intuition" may be wrong sometimes, but this time it stands. :)

Most major products start out as unpractical, and only for the rich That gets the industry started and developments are made and the price goes down.
Big flat screen TVs
Cell phones
TV
Radio
Cars
Home electric lighting
Indoor plumbing
to name a few.
I am happy to see the Tesla because I know it is the beginning They will get better and the price will come down.
BTW If I owned a Tesla I would get a license plate that read "Edison"
No, Tesla is a full-electrical vehicle and electrical vehicles are around as long as internal combustion engine vehicles. Tesla used lots of our tax money improving it. I wouldn't compare it to Edison!

Yeah, most major products start out as unpractical, and only for the rich. But as I said, until there is battery technology break-through, Tesla will be the rich's toy as the lithium is scarce and is not getting any cheaper. Many years ago I thought "cold fusion" would be the future of our unlimited and clean energy source... ;)

Tesla will be the rich's toy as the lithium is scarce and is not getting any cheaper.

Lithium (salt compounds really) is quite abundant on planet earth. It some of the other key battery components that may have supply chain issues, not so much due to scarcity, but because where they are most readily found (politically unstable locations). Electrification of our transportation infrastructure is off and running. I hope it continues and accelerates.

I had mine replaced in my 2014 last April. I wonder if I'm subject to those faulty parts..

You use TrueDelta data but others and I use NHTSA data. Just like those posts we saw here for 2016 transmission problems, we see significant more number of complaints on transmission for 2016 CX-5 at NHTSA website, especially comparing to other major competitors with 3 times more volumes than CX-5's in the US.

And post #137
So even Mazda has admitted certain transmission problems on 2016 CX-5 which exactly matched what I said earlier. Yeah my "intuition" may be wrong sometimes, but this time it stands. :)

How do know it isn't confirmation bias?

Don't bother to review the research-backed work of Kahneman on intuition. Those who believe they have it would rather trust their intuition than data. ;-)

How do know it isn't confirmation bias?

Don't bother to review the research-backed work of Kahneman on intuition. Those who believe they have it would rather trust their intuition than data. ;-)

Both intuition, and data, play an important role about how we interpret our environment. I have long believed that we have what I call "the lizard" shouting truth at us all the time from our hind-brain that our politically correct, overly-sedated, and wildly warped by "polite modern society with pretty little rules and warm fuzzies and everyone's a winner thoughts" forebrain tamps down, much to our detriment. So when something "makes me uncomfortable" and I don't know why? I stop asking why, and act on it.

***UPDATE****

New transmission arrived at 5:30am on Wednesday morning and should be done this evening. The Mazda dealer is 3 blocks down from the Toyota dealer. So - Saturday morning I pick up the CX-5 and about 3 minutes later I will be driving home in my new Toyota Prius Four Touring. Very excited.

Dave

I'll assume you've never driven one. I owned a 2016 for about 4 months. I HAD to sell it. In strong winds it was WORK to keep it on the road.

This reminds me of my Colt I had in college - couldn't even fathom going back to driving something like that. Post a couple of pics of your Prius after making the swap.

How come you didn't consider the RAV4 Hybrid? Gotta admit that's caught my eye also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And post #137

I checked the NTHSB complaints for the 2015 and 2016 CX-5. No doubt that there are many more complaints about what look like transmission problems in the 2016 - by my count, 5 times as many.

I suspect we have different ways of describing things. I wouldn't describe that as "smelling" a problem - I'd describe it as "5 times as many owners report 2016 transmission problems as owners of 2015 models". That's a fact. And now I agree with you that there's a problem. Thanks for pointing me to that data.

This is highly subjective and opinionated statement I am going to make but I have experienced with friends, families and co-workers...

There tends to be an under reporting of complaints with some of the supposed "known" reliable brands. They have cars in for work like any other makes but don't seem to see issue in the same light as brands with supposed lower reliability. Maybe they feel shame that what they bought didn't turn out to be the bullet proof design they were sold.

Sorry.. with all the electronics in cars today.. the 300K+ mileage Toyota (or any brand..for vehicles manufactured in last 5 years) is nowhere to be found on a common basis. One can make it get there but a capacitor, relay, solder joint is going to fail in a control unit along the way. It might be cheap to fix in the day if you can find a used one in a wrecking yard... assuming it is a well known fault.

Even a co-workers 2010 Prius failed on him in the middle of the freeway.. he was just able to get it to the side of the road before it completely died. It took a team of Toyota engineers about a month in the shop to figure out what had failed in it. To this day... it is his best car ever... incident forgotten...(and recently he told me it is using a quart of oil every 1500 miles)

Last edited:
I'll assume you've never driven one. I owned a 2016 for about 4 months. I HAD to sell it. In strong winds it was WORK to keep it on the road.

wait... am I reading this correctly!?

You have a brand new Corvette in your garage, but you also owned a 2016 Mirage?

wait... am I reading this correctly!?
You have a brand new Corvette in your garage, but you also owned a 2016 Mirage?
Apparently DBLXX is willing to try anything he's interested at time on cars. Of course he has enough money to do this too! :)

I checked the NTHSB complaints for the 2015 and 2016 CX-5. No doubt that there are many more complaints about what look like transmission problems in the 2016 - by my count, 5 times as many.
I suspect we have different ways of describing things. I wouldn't describe that as "smelling" a problem - I'd describe it as "5 times as many owners report 2016 transmission problems as owners of 2015 models". That's a fact. And now I agree with you that there's a problem. Thanks for pointing me to that data.
When I raised the fact that overwhelming number of safety complaints filed at NHTSA for weak windshield on CX-5's, a member here simply discredited it as "disinformation campaign" targeting the CX-5, even with some personal attacks. I'm glad you feel the data from NHTSA is legit and believe there is a problem on 2016 CX-5's transmission. In fact, Mazda North American Operations have admitted there was some part causing the problems on transmission when a member called them expressing his concern. Although it may not be true all the time, but I always believe "where there's smoke, there's fire".

Back