Full Transmission Replacement

I asked if there was a TSB issued, and they said no.

As a side note, I am impressed with their customer support. No vague talk or hiding an issue. Yes there was an issue, a brief description (some part I forget in the gear train), and an explanation of a production change and when it was implemented. The customer support person had to talk to an engineering guy to get the info. And the Mazda response from people having an issue as related in these posts says they are doing the right thing for the customer. Gives me the impression Mazda values it's reputation and it's customers. How refreshing.

Last edited:
Mazda USA says there was a part problem in some of the early 2016 6 speed transmissions that was rectified in product builds on or after August. Perhaps there are other gremlins lurking, but this seems to make sense. They were very helpful.

Well, there we have it. It's not some massive design flaw. I wouldn't sweat it. Shame OP took a beating to get out of his before fully investigating...unless this was just an excuse to dump a vehicle OP did not like, which I can respect that, too.

Mazda USA says there was a part problem in some of the early 2016 6 speed transmissions that was rectified in product builds on or after August. Perhaps there are other gremlins lurking, but this seems to make sense. They were very helpful.

Did they give a time frame on the 2016 CX5 transmissions? Like ones with a factory build date from Jan 2015 - August 2015?

did you folks see my post earlier in this thread about my CX-3?

Tranny defective in 2.5 month old car, new tranny put in. Mazda asked for original tranny to be sent to them for "inspection." That request made me very suspicious and uncomfortable.

Asked Mazda for "replacement collateral" consideration on the lease I have due to other problems with vehicle. Result: picked up new CX-5 Touring last week at no extra cost. Mazda did a good job satisfying my request.

Last edited:

Tranny defective in 2.5 month old car, new tranny put in. Mazda asked for original tranny to be sent to them for "inspection." That request made me very suspicious and uncomfortable.

Asked Mazda for "replacement collateral" consideration on the lease I have due to other problems with vehicle. Result: picked up new CX-5 Touring last week at no extra cost. Mazda did a good job satisfying my request.

For a small car company, Mazda stands for its products and customers. Unlike GM and others, who look to screw their customers at every turn and fight warranty claims tooth and nail.

What was your build date on the CX5 that the trans went out on?

What is suspicious about that? Shipping it off is expensive and it means engineers are very interested in what the failure is.

Did they give a time frame on the 2016 CX5 transmissions? Like ones with a factory build date from Jan 2015 - August 2015?

My inquiry was about the transmission problem I saw on this site and in the government site, and did they find the issue since my car is in transit from Japan.

So they only addressed my concern. I suggest calling Mazda if you have a question or issue.

How does one know what month a vehicle was built?

For those of us in the US/Canada it's on a label that's affixed to the lower door frame on the driver's door. Not sure where or if its there for you gents across the pond.

For those of us in the US/Canada it's on a label that's affixed to the lower door frame on the driver's door. Not sure where or if its there for you gents across the pond.

Also, if you happen to keep/scan the window sticker, there's a date in the form of yyyymmdd right below the barcode of the VIN. Mine says 20150825, I kinda assume it's the manufacturing date.

attachment.php

Attachments

• window sticker cropped.jpg
    window sticker cropped.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:
Also, if you happen to keep/scan the window sticker, there's a date in the form of yyyymmdd right below the barcode of the VIN. Mine says 20150825, I kinda assume it's the manufacturing date.

I think that might just be the date the sticker was printed.

attachment.php
I think that might just be the date the sticker was printed.
Yeah, the date on window sticker is the date the sticker is printed at the port of entry. Manufacture date on our CX-5 is 01/2015, but the data on window sticker is 20150303.

Besides, window sticker shown is for the US market only. Others may have totally different things.

I called Mazda and they said they had NO info on any TSB or recalls on the transmissions. Once they do, they will let me know

My door sticker states a 1/15 build date. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope if any problems manifest its prior to the 5yr/50k powertrain warranty expiring.

According to EPA for total US greenhouse gas emissions in 2013, 31% is from electricity, 27% is from transportation, 21% is from industry, 12% is from commercial and residential, and 9% is from agriculture.

Further, coal is the leading fuel source for power plants, which represents 39% of the electricity generated in the US. But coal combustion is more carbon intensive and accounts for 77% of CO2 emissions from electricity sector! Here is the list of major energy sources and percent share of total US electricity generation in 2013:

• Coal -- 39%
  • Natural gas -- 27%
  • Nuclear -- 19%
  • Petroleum -- 1%
  • Hydropower -- 6%
  • Other renewables -- 7%

See how many Tesla lovers know power plants are the leading greenhouse emission contributor among economic sectors? Not to mention we've to pay much higher cost by using more renewables to generate electricity if we try to lower the emissions from coal power plants. Current partial zero emissions vehicle, PZEV, is still the best compromise between the acceptable energy cost and protecting the environment.

Said it before, you go ahead and try to order a Tesla Model 3 for $35,000 and let us know how did your do it!

Few are buying "average" power. Most are buying power that is on one side or the other of average. In my market, 90% of the power is from hydroelectric.

I would be interested to see whether Tesla buyers are more or less common in areas with a lot of dirty/clean power. Are they just "cool", or are people thinking about the emissions created to get the power to their batteries?

According to TrueDelta, the CX-5 has fairly good reliability.

http://www.truedelta.com/Mazda-CX-5/reliability-1093

11% of the 2015s going in for service had transmission-related problems, and 11% had engine related problems.

For the 2016s, 11% of those going in for service were for transmission related repairs, and 6% for engine related repairs.

There are no reported repairs for 2015 or 2016 RAV 4s. There appear to be only a few in TrueDelta's database, but for the 2014s, of those going in for service, engine related repairs were 9%; transmission related were 18%.

2015 CRVs going in for service report 28% engine related repairs, 17% transmission related repairs.

The reliability of the three cars for 2014 and 2015 are as follows. Each reports REPAIR TRIPS PER 100 CARS IN THE DATABASE.

2015 CR-V: 11 REPAIR TRIPS PER 100 CARS
2015 CX-5: 7 REPAIR TRIPS PER 100 CARS
2015 RAV4: 0 REPAIR TRIPS PER 100 CARS

2014 CR-V: 7 REPAIR TRIPS PER 100 CARS
2014 CX-5: 24 REPAIR TRIPS PER 100 CARS
2014 RAV4: 10 REPAIR TRIPS PER 100 CARS

2013 CR-V: 18 REPAIR TRIPS PER 100 CARS
2013 CX-5: 16 REPAIR TRIPS PER 100 CARS
2013 RAV4: 15 REPAIR TRIPS PER 100 CARS

The RAV4 is the clear winner over the 3 years, with the CR-V second, and the CX-5 last because of the problems with the 2014s. The 2013 and 2015 model years of the CX-5 were better than the CR-V, but not overall.

TrueDelta also calculates what it calls "Lemon odds" - percentage of cars requiring 3 or more repair visits per year, and "nada odds" - percentage of cars requiring zero repair visits per year.

I'll report them as CAR: LEMON ODDS; NADA ODDS.

2015 CR-V: 0% lemon, 87% nada
2015 CX-5: 0% lemon, 92% nada
2015 RAV4: no report

2014 CR-V: 0% lemon, 94% nada
2014 CX-5: 0% lemon, 78% nada
2014 RAV4: 3% lemon; 93% nada

2013 CR-V: 0% lemon, 86% nada
2013 CX-5: 0% lemon, 85% nada
2013 RAV4: 0% lemon; 88% nada

Again, you can see that all three are comparable, except the 2014 CX-5 which stands out as more trouble-prone.

I don't think anyone can "smell" a problem in the data . . . unless it's on the bottom of their shoe. The evidence is either there, or it isn't. In this case, I think it isn't. That doesn't mean there's no problem, and certainly the owners who've had to replace transmissions under warranty certainly had problems! But to say you can smell a problem here is trusting intuition, which is notoriously unreliable except in specific situations - deep experience with plenty of rapid feedback to allow learning from that experience.

Otherwise, intuition is a lot of BS, frankly. People use it to fool themselves into thinking they know something when they don't. Check it out in Daniel Kahneman's "Thinking, Fast and Slow".

Last edited:
Few are buying "average" power. Most are buying power that is on one side or the other of average. In my market, 90% of the power is from hydroelectric.
I would be interested to see whether Tesla buyers are more or less common in areas with a lot of dirty/clean power. Are they just "cool", or are people thinking about the emissions created to get the power to their batteries?
Each area is different. Vancouver may have plenty of hydropower but in Texas we rely on natural gas、coal、and nuclear generating the most electricity. Among renewables Texas leads the nation in wind-powered generation capacity. But nobody wants to live close to the wind generators due to their low-frequency noise. Someone mentioned Tesla owners are mostly using solar energy from rooftop charging their Tesla's. This wouldn't feasible in our area due to frequent severe weather like hail storm and tornadoes. My roof just got totaled again by the recent hail storm within 1 years. Imagine how much loss it would be had I have the solar panels on the roof top! That's why you don't see any solar panels on anybody's rooftop in our area even though we do have plenty of sun! A friend living in Santa Cruz built a beach front mansion with self-sufficient solar power electricity. He can even sell the electricity to the power company if the sun is plenty. But for one, you have to be rich as those solar system is EXPENSIVE. Secondly you have to pray a lot to see the sun for certain amount of days in order to have enough electricity generated! Strangely he is a green person and has no problem to buy an expensive Tesla, but he has a 1958 Porsche 356, not a Tesla.

If you check the fuel sources used in Tesla friendly state of California, natural gas is still the leading fuel source generating electricity. It actually generates 3 times more electricity than ALL renewables combined! I do believe most Tesla owners are not aware of the emissions produced by remote power plants. Someone also mentioned the fallouts from battery manufacturing. Who cares? "Cool" factor has full of it.

Not until there is a battery break-though and make the driving range exceeds at least 300 miles, the lithium-ion battery can handle -40F weather without too much degrade, and the price can drop to average $30K, Telas is simply a rich-people's toy to show off. Not practical.

A Prius? The 17 Mirage is on shore with 55mpg no battery and car0lay/android auto.

Not until there is a battery break-though and make the driving range exceeds at least 300 miles, the lithium-ion battery can handle -40F weather without too much degrade, and the price can drop to average $30K, Telas is simply a rich-people's toy to show off. Not practical.

Most major products start out as unpractical, and only for the rich That gets the industry started and developments are made and the price goes down.
Big flat screen TVs
Cell phones
TV
Radio
Cars
Home electric lighting
Indoor plumbing
to name a few.

I am happy to see the Tesla because I know it is the beginning They will get better and the price will come down.

BTW If I owned a Tesla I would get a license plate that read "Edison"

Back