CX5 Sleek and Modest Offroad mods

>$163
>for lugnuts

dafuq?!?

I'm sure there are people who balk at the price of quality audio components and others who will argue that the price is worth it - it all depends on your goals. @Jack Rabbit is looking to keep weight down, and titanium lug nuts are just one of many ways to reduce unsprung weight. Another way is carbon ceramic brakes as he mentioned in a previous post - if those are even a remote possibility, then lighter lug nuts should also be considered, especially since the price is much, much lower by comparison.

For the record, there are some name-brand titanium lug nuts with MSRPs ranging from $400-700, if you can believe it.

Not too sure if this is something you'd be interested in pursuing, but you can also get a set of grade 5 titanium lug nuts for more unsprung weight reduction. I paid $163 USD including shipping to Canada for a set of 20 about 3 years ago. Definitely more than most would pay for lug nuts, but still a whole lot cheaper than some other name brand suppliers.

I ordered a set because I knew I'd need aftermarket nuts for my aftermarket wheels. Total weight of 445g for 20 nuts. I don't remember what the weight of the OEM nuts is, but if you're interested, I can weigh them later and find out.
For $163, did they at least throw in a pizza? Sure they look cool but that might be too expensive for my cost/reward ratio. I might revisit if I really need to drop a little more weight and don't want to rip out my rear seats. And I don't want to rip out my seats. Were gonna see how low we can push it before we get to the lug nuts but thanks for the idea. Wonder what that works out to in $ per gram weight savings.

I'm sure there are people who balk at the price of quality audio components and others who will argue that the price is worth it - it all depends on your goals. @Jack Rabbit is looking to keep weight down, and titanium lug nuts are just one of many ways to reduce unsprung weight. Another way is carbon ceramic brakes as he mentioned in a previous post - if those are even a remote possibility, then lighter lug nuts should also be considered, especially since the price is much, much lower by comparison.

For the record, there are some name-brand titanium lug nuts with MSRPs ranging from $400-700, if you can believe it.
Yes...Thank you. am looking at all ways to drop weight, no matter how drastic. Then gonna compare cost/reward and really decide if gonna do it.

For $163, did they at least throw in a pizza? Sure they look cool but that might be too expensive for my cost/reward ratio. I might revisit if I really need to drop a little more weight and don't want to rip out my rear seats. And I don't want to rip out my seats. Were gonna see how low we can push it before we get to the lug nuts but thanks for the idea. Wonder what that works out to in $ per gram weight savings.

Lol, no they did not. It wasn't about looks for me, in fact the only reason I have the "rainbow" PVD finish is because I couldn't get anything else without ordering a minimum of 100 nuts. Normally I wouldn't have spent the extra money on these, but I got a ridiculous deal on the new wheels I had just purchased and had a bit more room in the budget, so I splurged.

Looks great with the Falkens. Great choice. Black rims always look good on red or white.
I shoulda got the soul red...but gonna make the machine gray work.
For tire, narrowed my choices down to Falken trails or the Firestone destination at2s.
Falkens got the edge for cost, looks and doubled back sidewall. But the Firestones are lighter, and look potentially to have the best rolling resistance and least noise for a daily driver out of the whole class. Expensive though. It'll be a 50/50 tossup.
So far after 200 miles I really don’t hear any additional road noise. Ride is smoother and current mpg seems the same. I’ll do a review on these tires later on but so far very happy with them.

*****Note from a dead stop it does feel slower. Wheels are larger and more mass to get rolling. If it wasn’t a turbo I probably wouldn’t do it. Thus far nothing that is negative to me from my previous 20s set up. Excited to take it off-roading and in the snow soon.

Attachments

• 98AEBA0C-C5A4-4944-84E0-A72EFA3CA519.jpeg
    98AEBA0C-C5A4-4944-84E0-A72EFA3CA519.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 403
  • B3581085-C950-41B7-A1DF-967F839151CB.jpeg
    B3581085-C950-41B7-A1DF-967F839151CB.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 392
So far after 200 miles I really don’t hear any additional road noise. Ride is smoother and current mpg seems the same. I’ll do a review on these tires later on but so far very happy with them.

*****Note from a dead stop it does feel slower. Wheels are larger and more mass to get rolling. If it wasn’t a turbo I probably wouldn’t do it. Thus far nothing that is negative to me from my previous 20s set up. Excited to take it off-roading and in the snow soon.
Love how it looks and fills out the wheel well. But now don't know if wanna take hit on performance / acceleration for a 245 tire, especially since just dropped 56 lbs weight and have increased acceleration/handling on a non-turbo. Leaning toward the 235 for now but we'll see.
#1 off-road mod, ppf the front end especially soul red crystal 🤣
#1 mod for highway too. Especially with the highway construction and all the quarry trucks around here.

To be clear if I had a Boxster or Miata that I thrashed at the local road course on the weekends, I wouldn't balk at that price for lugnuts at all. Not one bit. But for a daily driver CX-5? I just can't see it.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Up-sizing the mini- death spare :

Trying to save a few bucks
Rusty spare @ junkyard $49
Ketchup $3
Vinegar $2
Baking soda $1
Baking powder-free
Cornstarch - free
New Spray paint $5 to $10 cause old stuff is dried out.
New wire brushes $19 cause you can't find yours.
Steel wool $6 cause your SO used it all on pots and pans.

Total $$ out - $ 90
Wasted hours scrubbing and painting $$$.

Buying a lightly used larger spare from a southern state for $125 and paying shipping, whatever it may be.

PRICELESS

Leaving the old tire on the rim - your call.
Buying new falken tire for an extra $85 - worth it.

Please note the upsized spare is for daily driver with alot of highway work/commute miles.

Upsized spare is alot safer option than driving on current deathspare or trying to find leak and plugseal along busy highway(or in dark) and cheaper than ruining a fullsize tire and sensors with tiregunk.

Upsized mini-spare will be replaced with full size AT spare during vacations, camping or light/mild weekend off- roading.

Last edited:
if you’re looking at titanium lug nuts to save weight, might as well remove the engine cover, the rear headrests, and the cargo cover.

also if you’re concerned with offsetting any weight you need to add back, have you considered increasing power with an ecu tune? this will balance out your power to weight ratio for about $500 (plus premium gas) for a claimed 20+ hp and torque in the mid range rpms.

I wonder what the weight difference between a spare donut steel rim vs. a full size tire with alloy rim?

I have a full size spare on a Mazda 5 rim but fitting it into the trunk is a little problem.

I guess I could put it on the roof, but I removed the roof rack for aerodynamics, and to save a little weight😁

I wonder what the weight difference between a spare donut steel rim vs. a full size tire with alloy rim?

I have a full size spare on a Mazda 5 rim but fitting it into the trunk is a little problem.

I guess I could put it on the roof, but I removed the roof rack for aerodynamics, and to save a little weight😁
Ill have to weigh all three..
Mazda mIni-death spare
Kia appropriate spare
Temporary kia fullsize rim and tire to serve as fullsize spare.

Will post when can.

Stock ToyoA23
225 55r19 on stock rim = 28.9"diameter & 59.4 lbs.
replaced with 17" nokians

Current Nokian Hak3
225 65r17 on BBS rim = 28.5" diameter & 52.4 lbs

Mazda cx5 spare Yoko tire
145 90r16 on 16x4 rim=
26.3" diameter & 29 lbs
Ditched tire for Kia kuhmo.

Kia Sorento spare Kumho
165 90r17 on 17 x 4 rim=
28.7" diameter & 34 lbs.

Was trying to reduce weight but only 5 lbs more for a decent wider spare that matches the full size tire height ia a great compromise.

Also picked up a Kia Sorento full size alloy for fullsize spare.

Depending on year, Kia sorento wheel matches Mazda CX 5 bolt pattern(5x114.3) and centerbore (67.1) with only slight offset difference.
Cx 5 offset 45 and Kia Sorento is 47. Kia wheel are way more plentiful than Mazda wheels. Hard to come by but if you can find a cx7 or cx9 spare that is in great shape probably do that, pay the $$. If not find a Kia spare that in good shape from southern states and pay the $$. Otherwise you'll have to refurbish a rusty Kia spare like I did. Kia spares are kept under and very rusty. Big PITA.

Lastly, the Bose speakers do fit in the Kia spare. You just need longer bolt... followed Bcblur post with instructions on the forum to make a longer bolt.

Last edited:
Am using this thread as a log to list goals. Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

Goal is to add Offroad mods, lose curb weight and keep costs down.

Running out of time to make decision on wheels as the Firestone sale ending soon.

Whether keeping 17" or trying to go down to 16" on non-turbo. This decision affects which size tire and ability to add corksport bbk.

Current setup
17 " BBS wheels
Nokian tires @ 225 65r17

Possible setup # 1
* Alot of unsprung weight loss, but thinner tire sidewall.
1.Keep 17" BBS rim (for now)
2. Firestone Destination AT2 @ 235 65r17
3. In spring, add corksport bbk brakes(13") and lose 14 lbs. The BBK should fit 17" rim.
* corksport has two skus/products for cx5.
* Be sure to order right bbk as one bbk loses
* 14 lbs while other bbk only lose 1 lb.
4. During winter months, gives time to find perfect low weight 17" rim that looks good and switch out in spring.

Possible setup #2
* Some unsprung weight loss & higher tire sidewall.
1. Keep BBS rim( for now)
2. Make sure a 16" rim fits. ( It should)
3. Buy a 16" rim of lower weight(either used or new)
Choices : Old Mazda 3 rims, other old Mazda 5-spoke rims, old Jeep 5-spoke rims, new Montegi rims, find other new rim setups. Low weight, low cost new 5-spoke rims would be preferable. Hopefully shave off some curb weight, even a little.
4. Firestone Destination AT 2 @ 235 70r16
5. No corksport bbk. Won't clear the 16 inch rim. Will need to live without bigger brakes. No weight loss.
6. Upgrade to slotted rotors and ebc yellow(or orange) stuff brake pads for performance, no weight loss.

Decision for exhaust on hold until spring to research the best low weight, good sound option further. Hopefully get all pre-ship(no box) weights from all companies, incl Mazda OEM so can compare apples to apples.

Last edited:
Some posts have said the 16" fits but before ordering rims, decided to confirm.

Finally got around to pulling the 16" wheel off my mariner and put it on the cx5 front. Centerbore slightly smaller but fit barely on the hub just enough to see.

Definitely tight...eyeballing about 6 to 7 mm. from calipers. Still way more space than the Mariner calipers...the Mariner clearance is very tight. Still only needed 3 mm so good to go.

Plus ordering offset 40 should push away more and provide little more room but will alter the scrub radius by 3 mm.

Definitely no room for big brake kit.

Hard decision but think I'm going with the 16's to get more sidewall and lose unsprung weight. Keeping the BBS 17" so can always switch back if need be.

Last edited:
“Unsprung weight” is only part of the challenge. Where that weight is located from the wheel axle matters for performance, more tire weight near the outside of the combo will reduce acceleration even if total wheel/tire weight is slightly less. It’s a matter of inertial moment, a physics thing.

“Unsprung weight” is only part of the challenge. Where that weight is located from the wheel axle matters for performance, more tire weight near the outside of the combo will reduce acceleration even if total wheel/tire weight is slightly less. It’s a matter of inertial moment, a physics thing.
So would going from a:
17" bbs and nokian combo of 52.8 lbs @ 42 offset to
16" montegi & firestone combo of 47.6 lbs @ 40 offset.
for total un-sprung drop of 5.2 lbs per wheel still be better ?
Is the slight change in offset really going to make things worse ?

For reference went from
Stock 19" rim &Toyo combo of approx 59.4 lbs @45 offset to
BBS &Nokian combo of 52.8 lbs @ offset 42
and looks like scrub altered by 4 mm
But with 7 lbs per wheel unsprung the car performance & acceleration improved and seems to handle better as well.

Last edited:
So Rhino got back with me

nice off-road wheel 17 incher with 35 mm offset.

load capacity is a whopping 2700 lbs...
peaked my interest...

but the rim weighs 32 lbs.

So off-road strength versus weight reduction.
As my off-road usage is minimal, gonna have to pass
and go with the 16" Montegi's @ approx. 19 lbs.

But for anyone who wants some heavy duty
off-road wheels, check out Black Rhino.

Before ordering new 16" rims, decided to take one last look & make sure which offset would fit.
Really don't want to end up with rims that don't fit.

Went to junkyard and got a beat up Mazda Tribute 16" x 7 rim with ET45 and tested it out. This will become my full-size 16" spare.

Pics are attached for anyone interested in downsizing.

In my case, needed to worry the wheel rubbing the calipers & suspension more so than a wider tire.

The 16 x 7 with 45 offset works and clears the calipers, suspension & lower control arm.

The offset can be pushed out to a 42 or 40 although it will affect your scrub radius slightly. Pushing the offset in any closer(i.e. 47 or 50) or going with a wider wheel (i.e. 16 x 7.5, 16 x 8) is possibly going to hit. If you want to go a little closer, you need to stick with 17", 18" or 19". If you want a wider wheel,
you need to get a rim of et40 or lower, push your offset out to et40/lower using spacers or keep your 17 inch/19 inch wheels.

Now need to decide between 16" rim with et45 versus et40. The ET 45 will keep same scrub radius for me so will be making decision this weekend and ordering tires tomorrow before sale ends.

How much space? look at the pictures.
*This is for non-turbo 2018

It appears more than enough space anywhere
from 1/4"(6.4 mm)to 5/16"(8mm) all around.
*These are rough eyeball measurements,
didn't have my tape and was too tired to go get it.

approx 5/16"(8 mm) from outer lip/barrel to caliper.
approx. 5/16"(8mm) from inner lip to frame/suspension
approx. 5/16"(8mm) from centerdisc/spoke to caliper side.
way more than 5/16"(8mm) from barrel to lower arm.

Hopefully this helps more people who want to downsize as
downsizing information is limited.

I will be doing the reverse of everyone else and running 16" Firestone All terrains for most of year and then running 17" Nokian winters during the few winter months.

Attachments

• mazda cx5  rim clearance.png
    mazda cx5 rim clearance.png
    207.2 KB · Views: 133
  • mazda cx5 caliper clearance of 16 inch rim pic 2.png
    mazda cx5 caliper clearance of 16 inch rim pic 2.png
    212.9 KB · Views: 141
  • mazda cx5 caliper clearance of 16 inch rim.png
    mazda cx5 caliper clearance of 16 inch rim.png
    289.1 KB · Views: 143
  • mazda cx5 frame and suspension clearance for 16 inch rim.png
    mazda cx5 frame and suspension clearance for 16 inch rim.png