CX-5 vs CX-50 suspension

Image is a huge part of why many shoppers end up in SUVs vs minivans, for example. If you simply go a step further, people may choose a RAV4 over a CX-5 simply because the RAV4 looks like a 4Runner, which has been marketed to the gills to be one of the best offroaders you can buy.

There is a reason why almost all 4Runner/RAV4 commercials involve outdoor activities. Those vehicles are marketed towards people who want that image. Same goes for the CX-5 and it's commercials that show it mostly pounding pavement in the city. Each vehicle caters to a different "image" or "lifestyle". With the CX-50, it seems that Mazda is leaning a little more into marketing towards the "active" lifestyle.

CX-5 promo photo:
mazda-cx-5_100806504_h.jpg

CX-50 promo photo:
Mazda-CX-50_16_Zircon-Sand.jpg

I would think most shoppers will not be so privileged. Regardless, having somebody else do it is not quite the same but better than nothing.

Absolutely. I should mention that for the second half of the test drive, I was in the driver's seat, salesman up front, wife in the back. Salesman was encouraging me to push it the whole time, but my wife doesn't really do well with aggressive driving, especially when she's sitting in the back, so I eased off after the first few aggressive turns. It was quite an eyeopening experience, especially compared to my test drive/salesman experience with a 2018 4Runner a few days later.

On rear suspension.
Moose Test:
See for yourself.
CX30 (max=74km/h)
CX5 (max=78km/h)

This is from autoblog.
"Finally, we come to the rear suspension. We were surprised to see the Mazda3 abandon a multi-link rear suspension in favor of a torsion-beam rear end. Torsion beam suspensions are generally considered less capable and refined since it ties both wheels together. Sometimes it's used because it's cheap to develop, or because it's easy to package. Everyone we spoke to at Mazda said that this design wasn't chosen for those reasons, but rather because they were able to make the car ride and handle better. The company found that the design offered more natural reactions to bumps for the passengers inside, and the company was able to really dial in every single part since it was a simpler suspension with fewer variables to worry about. For example, one of Mazda's engineers mentioned that each side of the multi-link suspension had 10 bushings to mess with, and the torsion-beam setup has just one on each side for the trailing arms."
...which is why all of their high end SUV's moving forward will be Torsion beam, and why all of the best handling vehicles are Torsion beam, and why the Miata will soon transition over to Torsion beam...right? RIGHT?

Mazda is full of crap with that explanation, lol!

...which is why all of their high end SUV's moving forward will be Torsion beam, and why all of the best handling vehicles are Torsion beam, and why the Miata will soon transition over to Torsion beam...right? RIGHT?

Mazda is full of crap with that explanation, lol!

Its one test, designed to find the limit of the tested car in one specific scenario.

If the absolute limit is a little lower, but the overall driving experience is improved, I'd call that a win. It actually makes sense that they would do this when you consider the direction Mazda went when they implemented the 2.5T and it's powerful low-end performance that falls flat at higher RPMs. For the vast majority of drivers, most, if not all of their time is spent at lower RPMs.

Market to the masses to line your pockets, then debut something fun when you have the funds to do it. IMO that's what Mazda's doing.

sm1ke,
Indeed, moose test is about handling at the limit.

I had a near-miss in my '98 BMW 540iA w/ VSC (vehicle stability control). I was really impressed by how it saved me.
From that point on, I value handling more than comfort or tranquility in a vehicle.
It is a personal preference.

sm1ke,
Indeed, moose test is about handling at the limit.

I had a near-miss in my '98 BMW 540iA w/ VSC (vehicle stability control). I was really impressed by how it saved me.
From that point on, I value handling more than comfort or tranquility in a vehicle.
It is a personal preference.

Don't think you can't compare two different vehicles and make a conclusion about their respective suspension designs.

At least they didn't use a small 3 cyl turbo coupled to a CVT! Just found out the 2022 Rogue will have a 1.5L 3 cyl turbo in all but base trim in Canada at least, not sure about US plans.

The space savings from the rear suspension may have help with the ground clearance. It certainly help with more storage room.

2023-Mazda-CX-50-23.jpg
No more 40/20/40 rear seat back and no more carpeted side cargo panels??? Side nets would be nice to hold stuff. I'm curious to see underfloor storage. Thanks for the nice pic!

The overall design looks good, but all of that black plastic body cladding and fake silver skid plates look hideous.

It shows how dim-witted the American public is. These manufacturers must slap on all of this tacky cladding so consumers can feel tough and rugged while driving to Costco.
Well said!

Sorry to break it to you, but you're wrong on this issue...many consumers absolutely buy certain SUVs to project an image.

Have you not noticed a proliferation in SUVs projecting a wannabe 'off-road' persona? Even the new CX-50 has the fake skid plates you dislike. Why do you think Mazda added fake skid plates...to project an image!
Sorry to break it to me?!? LOL
I STILL disagree. I asked 30+ people that I work with "#1 reason you bought your car?"
Brand loyalty was #1.
I wish I could find that post because I posted about it.
Look, I'm the last one to argue that people buy cars for LOOKS. It's absolutely my #1 consideration. Studies show it's usually one of the top 3. I don't buy the "Project an image" bulls***. I don't buy that Sally Jo Consumer bought a 4Runner because she cares THAT MUCH about what OTHER people think of her. THIS is what I'm calling bulls*** on. I don't think the MAJORITY of AMERICAN'S (and Americans only, apparently? We aren't all that unique...) buy cars to project an image. Just...no.
Could it be an off-roady vehicle also projects SAFER? Hmmm. The woman who buys a Subaru and takes it to Costco ALSO lives in Colorado where...it snows.

Not arguing that people are not shallow when it comes to cars. The #1 reason I bought my CX5 is it was better looking then the other cars I looked at.

Also, I never said I don't like skid plates. I don't. But I wouldn't NOT buy a car ONLY because of that if I liked the rest of it. I actually LIKE the looks of the CX-50. Do I go off road? No. But I want to drive a car I like to look at. I don't give AF what anyone else thinks of my ride.

Also I did concede there ARE people like that. A tiny minority. But there are people like that in every country on Earth. Not an "American" thing.
;)

Last edited:
The overall design looks good, but all of that black plastic body cladding and fake silver skid plates look hideous.

It shows how dim-witted the American public is. These manufacturers must slap on all of this tacky cladding so consumers can feel tough and rugged while driving to Costco.

That is your opinion. I think the CX-50 looks great and honestly, in person, the CX-30 does not look that bad either.

And honestly, there are tons of more relevant things to highlight how dim witted and downright scary stupid the American's pubic is!

Interesting conversation re: buying trends.
One thing to keep in mind, car people like us that join car forums and participate actively in car discussions, and actually do a little research on vehicles they are thinking of buying, are in the small minority of car buyers. The large majority of buyers don't frequent sites like this, or even care what a vehicle can do, beyond looking good in their eyes.
I know a lot of people that are blindly brand loyal, and don't ever consider cross shopping any other makes. They just go to the dealership and buy the latest model, many of them not bothering to even take a test drive. Others will buy a vehicle based solely on the name plate on the trunk lid. My neighbour just bought a brand new $100,000 Mercedes. He bought it because he could. No other reason. My brother in law has bought nothing but Honda's for the past 30 years. Doesn't bother looking at anything else. Even the ones he had that were nothing but trouble didn't deter him from buying another one.
Personally, I'm not brand loyal. I've owned cars from just about every make you can think of. When it comes time to buy, I take my time and cross shop.
As for all this trendy black cladding, fake skid plates, the rugged look, etc....ah, no thanks.
As for the rear suspension debate, it really doesn't matter, except to maybe 1% of you that actually understand it or compare it. The soccer mom that takes her SUV to Walmart has no idea how the rear wheels are connected to the car. Give her two cars to drive, one with a solid axle, and one with independent suspension, and she wouldn't know the difference. The changeover to a solid beam rear end certainly won't affect overall sales. I doubt anyone will walk into a Mazda, or Honda, or Toyota dealership and ask what kind or rear suspension do you have.
People like us that take an active interest in cars and stuff like this, are few and far between.
Enjoy what you drive, and drive what you think you'll enjoy. Cheers everyone.

I don't buy the "Project an image" bulls***. I don't buy that Sally Jo Consumer bought a 4Runner because she cares THAT MUCH about what OTHER people think of her. THIS is what I'm calling bulls*** on.

Not arguing that people are not shallow when it comes to cars. Look, I'm the last one to argue that people buy cars for LOOKS. It's absolutely my #1 consideration.
It is commonly accepted/known that many people talk, act, dress, and buy stuff to project a certain image.
I'm surprised you are arguing against this basic human psychology.

But at the same time, you admit people buy cars for looks, which supports the point I'm making!
Manufacturers are churning out faux off-road CUVs because consumers like the way they look.
And why do you think these fake add-ons are appealing...because they project a tough/adventurous/outdoorsy image.

Mazda knows only a tiny faction of consumers will ever take a compact CUV off-road...
So why do you think they chose to include fake skid plates on the CX-50?
Why does their advertising depicting rock climbing and blasting over dirt roads?

As far as all this cladding talk goes. The '22 CX-5 has none, from what I remember. The cladding around the wheels on the previous gens, is now painted to match the vehicle.
I think the body colored trim is only available on the Signature. Other trims still have the black plastic based on what I see from available ads

And honestly, there are tons of more relevant things to highlight how dim witted and downright scary stupid the American's pubic is!
There aren't more relevant things to highlight when the discussion is taking place on an automotive forum!

Take a look at this promotional picture.
This vehicle is not designed or intended to be an off-road vehicle.
Maybe 5 out of 100,000 CX-50 buyer will actually use the vehicle like this, and Mazda knows it.

So why would they market this compact CUV with fake plastic "skid plates", fake intake/exhaust vents, large amounts of plastic cladding, black hood decals and a giant tubular framed roof rack?

Because consumers like the idea, like the image it projects, but won't actually be taking them off-road.

1637249711244.png

Take a look at this promotional picture.
This vehicle is not designed or intended to be an off-road vehicle.
Maybe 5 out of 100,000 CX-50 buyer will actually use the vehicle like this, and Mazda knows it.

So why would they market this compact CUV with fake plastic "skid plates", fake intake/exhaust vents, large amounts of plastic cladding, black hood decals and a giant tubular framed roof rack?

Because consumers like the idea, like the image it projects, but won't actually be taking them off-road.

View attachment 304818

It is absolutely marketed to project the active, outdoorsy image. People will undoubtedly buy it because it projects that image. The majority of Crosstrek/Forester/Outback owners bought their vehicles to project that image as well, the only difference is that their interiors were lacking but they have the best AWD system in their market.

However, to say that it isn't designed to go off-road is just wrong. Mazda.ca notes that the new CX-50 has additional drive mode options (Off-Road and Towing) and that towing capability will be better than the CX-5 (though I have no idea how much better at this point). G-vectoring control has also been updated to assist with the new drive modes (more info here). All this to say that Mazda absolutely intends for it's customers to be able to take it off-road if they wanted to. Not to mention the other changes like chunkier plastic cladding and better clearance than the CX-5. These things help to market the CX-50's image, but they also serve a function.

To claim that 5/100000 owners will actually take it off-road is a massive exaggeration. The number of people who will actually take it off-road is likely closer to 5/100. But aside from that fact, people will also buy this because it would do well in the winter, and maybe on the beach too. Snow on paved roads is not technically off-road, but most of the benefits do translate over (higher clearance for snow, cladding for some minor contact protection and rust prevention, off-road mode to help with getting unstuck, etc.). It is nice to think that Mazda would sell 100k of these though :p lol

We started with torsion beam suspension vs. multi-link suspension and ended up here. I suggest we get back to discussing cost cutting. Thanks

No more 40/20/40 rear seat back and no more carpeted side cargo panels??? Side nets would be nice to hold stuff. I'm curious to see underfloor storage. Thanks for the nice pic!
That's unfortunate, but probably more than offset by the size/shape of the cargo bay.

It is commonly accepted/known that many people talk, act, dress, and buy stuff to project a certain image.
I dress well because I like to look good. And I do. I am not "Projecting".
Sure, some do, and here is the core of my debate with you: This is not a "dumb American" thing.
But at the same time, you admit people buy cars for looks, which supports the point I'm making!
Manufacturers are churning out faux off-road CUVs because consumers like the way they look.
Agreed.
And why do you think these fake add-ons are appealing...because they project a tough/adventurous/outdoorsy image.
I don't agree with this. My friend the bought a Grand Cherokee doesn't give one F that it looks "adventurous". It had the features she wanted. It was cheaper then the Nissan she looked at. My buddy bought a Armada. He bought it because it was huge for his 5 kids. Not because it looks "Adventurous".
I am saying the majority of people aren't suckered into "ohhoohhooh Look at that ad showing the car going over rocks!"
Consumers, all over the globe, aren't exactly the smartest... but many are smarter then you give credit for.
And it is nowhere near ONLY an American thing. That's truly my issue with your statement. Like European buyers are smarter about it? Nah...
Mazda knows only a tiny faction of consumers will ever take a compact CUV off-road...
So why do you think they chose to include fake skid plates on the CX-50?
Why does their advertising depicting rock climbing and blasting over dirt roads?
Because they ARE going for the market of people that by Jeeps and Subaru, for whatever reason they buy them. "Adventurous" plays into a lot of marketing and people buy them not to go off road... but to be able to go to Costco in 8 inches of snow.
Smart play. They've already gone after the BMW crowd.

Sorry, Sm1ke. Maybe you could split this into it's own thread? :D

However, to say that it isn't designed to go off-road is just wrong. All this to say that Mazda absolutely intends for it's customers to be able to take it off-road if they wanted to. These things help to market the CX-50's image, but they also serve a function.
This Mazda 3-based vehicle, with those fake plastic "skid plates", sure doesn't seem like real off-road use was a key design criteria.

All this to say that Mazda absolutely intends for it's customers to be able to take it off-road if they wanted to.
To claim that 5/100000 owners will actually take it off-road is a massive exaggeration. The number of people who will actually take it off-road is likely closer to 5/100.
I have no doubt many will drive through a grassy field when parking at the winery, or a short gravel drive to get to the pumpkin patch.
But I was referring to the remote, boulder-strewn pioneer wagon paths pictured in the promotion. I would be surprised if more than 5/100K drove in such areas.
Doing so would likely result is something similar to this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrUD4mSvZms

Back