Cracked cylinder head (2018 CX-5)

I'll say for certain that a mandatory recall would not be my preference for any of the major engine issues that we've been discussing over the past few years. I wouldn't even want to think of one of these outfits doing major work on our vehicle's engines, if there are no symptoms of any issue.

What I definitely would like to have happen instead of that, is long-term, extended warranty coverage for both the HLA and also the head cracking issues. That said, I have no expectations that Mazda will be doing anything like that, unless the number of either of these issues increases significantly. At the current failure rate, they're just going to continue sweeping it under the rug, just as every automaker always tries to do with their dirt.
Only NHTSA has the power to force Mazda to do something on major issues or expensive fixes which are related to “safety” concerns. A recall could be like the expensive LED DRL and headlight recall, the LED headlights will only get replaced IF the LED DRLs have failed, or the production date is in certain data range. It all depends on the negotiation between MNAO and NHTSA if a recall has to happen. Car owners also have the choice not to perform the recall until the problem shows up.

A recall like that is essentially like the lifetime warranty on the cylinder head and switchable HLAs. That’s the ultimate protection to those CX-5 owners.

So just report problems to NHTSA.

btw CD can be disabled through the software on the early models. I wont go into more details as its irrelevant for this thread topic.

It would be wondeful if owners get extended warranty or a recall on the head issues but as I said not going to happen. That would be bigger expense for Mazda. To be honest very small number of people know how and where to report to NHTSA. Most consumers just go to open forums to complain or try their local dealer where service is hit and miss lately.

Thinking back to the falling rocker arm problem of a few years ago, it's my recollection that there were only a handful of anecdotes (fewer than ten) posted by people who actually had that problem occur on their car. I'm pretty sure I've seen a lot more anecdotes about cracked cylinder heads.

The rocker arm problem resulted an apparently voluntary recall. I'm not holding my breath until there's a recall for the cracked cylinder head vulnerability.

It's hard to assess the relative safety hazard of the two defects. Both are rather low; neither is negligible. The more obvious difference is that addressing the rocker arm problem was cheap for Mazda--just reprogramming the PCM. Fixing the cracking cylinder head problem would be extremely expensive, probably thousands of dollars per car.

I hope many people who have experienced a cracked cylinder head will file a safety complaint with NHTSA, resulting in a mandatory recall.
To add to your post...

One could argue the Toyota accelerator problem was a negligable or low safety hazard... after all it's just a sticking pedal...93 deaths out of 4 million vehicles which is only 0.0000233 percent. Still unacceptable. Until the deaths started piling up, no one knew there was a problem because the isolated incidents were kept quiet.

Awhile ago, was a passenger in a vehicle(older vehicle at that) which the engine seized on a 6 lane highway. She luckily was in the right lane when started having problems but people always think they can make it to the next exit...it's human instinct.
When the engine seized almost immediately thereafter she still barely made it over to berm before the vehicle stopped in travel lane and/or barely got clipped by 65 mph and up traffic(after all there are speeders).

We would have been rear-ended for sure if had been in the far center lane. No way would have gotten through traffic and over to the right shoulder.

Granted that occurred on a very old high mileage vehicle. But major engine crack and leaks definitely should not occur on a newer vehicle and imo should not even occur on anything less than 10 years/150,000 miles.

The whole reason one buys a new or dependable used vehicle for $25, $30, $35 k is to drive without fearof major problems or being stranded.

If I wanted a car that the engine might crap out, I'd just weld the frame on my 14 year old vehicle and drive that around waiting for that dependable (up to now) engine to finally give out.

According to some posts, some of these vehicles are losing drastic amount of oil and coolant which could quickly become a catastrophic failure within minutes including stalling in high speed traffic.

People panic when lights start flashing, car sputtering and/or slowing and engine stalls. Berms are not always ideal with all kind of objects on the shoulder. The mind takes time to assess whats happening. Cars and big-rigs whizzing by at high speed. If your stuck in the center lane, you're potentially doomed to be a multi-car pileup.

Add to that the indirect danger of getting hit when someone not paying attention swerves onto the shoulder which happens alot more nowadays because some people are texting and not paying attention.

Same for an 4 lane highway, the same risk is still there, especially if caught in middle lane with 18 wheelers flying by.

Others here might not think its a big safety issue until it happens to them or until a death occurs.

Of course, the odds are lower because it's a smaller manufacturer with less vehicles on the road, with unknown percentage of failures and only some of those failures may leak enough to potentially engine sieze while driving on an highway.

But it is still very much a safety related issue.

(I wrote the following while offline and before reading Jack Rabbit's post. Turns out, we have similar thoughts.)

In my opinion, an extended warranty isn't good enough. I suppose if you're confident your cylinder head will only give out while you're a mile from home on a grocery run and you have a second car at home in the garage or you live where there's good mass transit, you'd be okay with an extended warranty.

Here's what I'm looking at. Within the next few months, I will likely be moving to a city 2000 miles from where I currently live. It feels like a serious risk to consider driving my car to my new residence. I can envision being on the interstate in the middle of Wyoming (as far as I can tell, Wyoming has zero Mazda dealers) when the cylinder head begins leaking oil. There will be no warning lights until the engine is critically low on oil. Even if the bearings don't seize, the car is now undrivable.

If I'm lucky, it'll be 10:00 am on a sunny day, there will be a wide shoulder to pull over to, and a friendly highway patrol officer will arrive in five minutes to offer assistance. If I'm unlucky, it'll be 9:00 pm and raining, I'll be in a construction zone where there's no shoulder and only one lane of traffic going each direction, and a career criminal will arrive in five minutes to rough me up and take my stuff.

No problem! Nothing unsafe about the situation! I have an extended warranty!

After a week or three of hassles, many hundreds of dollars in towing and lodging expenses, and more costs associated with not being on hand to coordinate with realtors and movers in my new city, the little blip caused by the cracked cylinder head will be almost forgotten.

Give me a break...

.... I can envision being on the interstate in the middle of Wyoming (as far as I can tell, Wyoming has zero Mazda dealers) when the cylinder head begins leaking oil. There will be no warning lights until the engine is critically low on oil.
I don't ever continue going around on subjective arguments like this, and I've had my say on this one, so that's the end of it for me.

However, facts are a different story, and so I need to mention that what you wrote above is wrong. There's an oil level sensor installed in the oil pan of our vehicles (in addition to the oil pressure sensor), which turns on a yellow warning light on the dash when the oil level drops approximately .8 quart below max on the dipstick. That level is far from critically low, and offers more than enough time to get off the road safely, before the engine is anywhere close to seizing.

Apples and oranges. The rocker arm issue was deemed a safety issue because vehicles were going into limp mode or stalling. Unless and until a sufficient number of safety complaints are logged for cracked cylinder heads there would not be any reason for a safety recall. I think you'd have to ignore all warnings associated with a cracked cylinder head until the engine fails while on the road and that might be logged as user stupidity not a safety issue.
Dont blame the human.
Blame the manufacturing process that produced defective heads that put the human in a compromising dangerous position.
I don't ever continue going around on subjective arguments like this, and I've had my say on this one, so that's the end of it for me.

However, facts are a different story, and so I need to mention that what you wrote above is wrong. There's an oil level sensor installed in the oil pan of our vehicles (in addition to the oil pressure sensor), which turns on a yellow warning light on the dash when the oil level drops approximately .8 quart below max on the dipstick. That level is far from critically low, and offers more than enough time to get off the road safely, before the engine is anywhere close to seizing.
Thanks Ed. Good to know.

And agree with on some of the subjective points.

The sensor might be good for someone that doesnt check oil levels or has an oil pan drip or seeping seals but this cracked cylinder head might be different.
If it's a seeping cracked head then may have enough time from warning lights. But circumstances could vary.

I can't find it but i saw a video on the internet within the past few weeks of a Mazda engine just spewing oil everywhere and leaking like a sieve. Think the poster may have taken it down. That and a mazda247 post where member mentioned the oil spurting out of the cracked head.
At those loss rates and especially doubled with a coolant loss, then engine sieze could happen very quickly, and compromising safety.

If it was 10W-40 oil in these engines then might stand a chance that the thick oil would still be sludged onto the moving part's but imo, no way this engine would stand a chance with the watery 0w-20. It doesnt coat the part's and would leak out the cracks far faster than thick oil.

In this respect we agree. If one experiences a sudden loss of power on the road with no prior warning and it turns out it was due to a cracked cylinder head (though I have a hard time seeing how that would be possible as you illiustrate), then by all means report the incident to the NHTSaftyA. If one ignores all warnings and drives the vehicle to failure that's not a safety issue any more than ignoring any idiot light.

There's an oil level sensor installed in the oil pan of our vehicles (in addition to the oil pressure sensor), which turns on a yellow warning light on the dash when the oil level drops approximately .8 quart below max on the dipstick. That level is far from critically low, and offers more than enough time to get off the road safely, before the engine is anywhere close to seizing.
It's good to know my 2018 has a low oil level warning light. A few minutes ago, I verified it by turning the car on without starting it and looking at the array of warning lights that are briefly lit up. There are so many of them and they're on for such a short time I had never noticed it. In fact, I have a memory of reading somewhere that only later models (perhaps only turbos) have such a light. Either what I read was incorrect or my memory was wrong. Weirdly, the owner manual's description of the low oil level warning light says "some models." I wonder which models don't have it.

So, that's some comfort. I can dial back my doomsday scenario.

However, the point remains that having the cylinder head develop a crack in the middle of a cross-country trip would be a major inconvenience.

More than 30 years ago, I drove my 1985 Toyota Corolla on a round trip between Austin and Seattle, never doubting it was up to the task. That I can't realistically feel a similar level of confidence in a 5-year-old car with fewer than 20,000 miles on it is kind of pathetic.

It's good to know my 2018 has a low oil level warning light. A few minutes ago, I verified it by turning the car on without starting it and looking at the array of warning lights that are briefly lit up. There are so many of them and they're on for such a short time I had never noticed it. In fact, I have a memory of reading somewhere that only later models (perhaps only turbos) have such a light. Either what I read was incorrect or my memory was wrong. Weirdly, the owner manual's description of the low oil level warning light says "some models." I wonder which models don't have it.

However, the point remains that having the cylinder head develop a crack in the middle of a cross-country trip would be a major inconvenience.

More than 30 years ago, I drove my 1985 Toyota Corolla on a round trip between Austin and Seattle, never doubting it was up to the task. That I can't realistically feel a similar level of confidence in a 5-year-old car with fewer than 20,000 miles on it is kind of pathetic.
Having been in a vehicle where the engine siezed on a beltway, I believe in the doomsday scenarios and am looking at replacements this weekend. Was gonna wait the warranty out but the safety of my family is important. This thread helped me decide to start vehicle shopping.

I can see your point and I agree that the cracked cylinder head and tapping noise problem would be more difficult to become a safety recall than the fallen rocker arms.

But remember the failing LED DRL and headlight recall (expensive fix, $1,200 each for part only X 2) on the 2016 / 2016.5 CX-5? I couldn’t see it coming for any “safety” reason? And the DRL is not mandatory in the US.

So just report problems to NHTSA. You never know.
No, I'm not familiar with that recall. But it doesn't matter that DRLs are not mandated. They're still sold as a piece of safety equipment. There's lots of safety equipment that is not mandated however if one of those systems does not perform as advertised a recall may ensue.

Take automatic backup braking. A lot of vehicles do not have that. It there are enough documented instances of that system failing to activate resulting in crashes into passing vehicles you could expect a recall if those instances cannot be accounted for by one of the warning conditions in the manual.

All 2.5L’s NA with CD since 2018 MY CX-5 have Low Oil Level Warning Light. All 2.5T’s since 2019 MY CX-5 have Low Oil Level Warning Light too.

74B2807F-D6E8-4445-9365-C72B72F2EED8.jpeg

Yes, indeed.

Exactly the same feeling here.

40 years ago we drove a beat-up 1974 Chevy Impala pulling a Jartran from Iowa City to Dallas, never doubting it was up to the task either.

Having been in a vehicle where the engine siezed on a beltway, I believe in the doomsday scenarios and am looking at replacements this weekend. Was gonna wait the warranty out but the safety of my family is important. This thread helped me decide to start vehicle shopping.
For your peace of mind, which this vehicle has compromised, that would be the best move, whether it is justified or not. Whatever vehicle you select, be sure to pore over the associated forums before pulling the trigger. You may end up walking. Even electric bikes have had exploding batteries.

Last edited by a moderator:
All 2.5L’s NA with CD since 2018 MY CX-5 have Low Oil Level Warning Light. All 2.5T’s since 2019 MY CX-5 have Low Oil Level Warning Light too.

View attachment 317140

Yes, indeed.

Exactly the same feeling here.

40 years ago we drove a beat-up 1974 Chevy Impala pulling a Jartran from Iowa City to Dallas, never doubting it was up to the task either.
Yes, a cracked cylinder head going directly from smooth running and no warning directly to limp mode, stalling or a blown engine would fall somewhere between highly implausible and very rare (obviously without much room in the middle ;))

For your peace of mind, which this vehicle has compromised, that would be the best move, whether it is justified or not. Whatever vehicle you select, be sure to pore over the associated forums before pulling the trigger. You may end up walking. Even electric bikes have had exploding batteries.
Great idea. Joined a couple forums. Had several high mileage vehicles without expensive powertrain problems so there are dependable vehicles out there. Won't be walking.

Let us know what you get! I'm thinking like you do!
I may end up in a newer Mazda turbo since the engine problems were apparently fixed in the newer models but I'm still testing everything out.

For instance, never had any problems with Ford powertrains and the current ford eco-sport turbo engines have a good reliability history with no major engine problems. But gotta see how they accelerate.

And Toyota...well I have yet to see anybody with a blown Toyota engine.

Any test drives are posted in the
thread "Mazda CX-5 comparison test drives"

I may end up in a newer Mazda turbo since the engine problems were apparently fixed in the newer models but I'm still testing everything out.
Mazda may have fixed the oil consumption issue on the 2.5T with revised valve stem seals, but IMO it’s too early to tell if Mazda actually has fixed coolant leak problem from cracked cylinder head on the 2.5T.

Mazda may have fixed the oil consumption issue on the 2.5T with revised valve stem seals, but IMO it’s too early to tell if Mazda actually has fixed coolant leak problem from cracked cylinder head on the 2.5T.
Has there been any reports of 21's or 22's with the problem? I'm getting ready to unload our 19 GTR and will probably buy another CX-5 unless this problem is still out there.

for 2022 too early too tell. I guess also 2022 models were not that many due to the shortages. At the same time Mazda released 2023 models earlier in q4. We can hope that 2022- are fixed.

Back