Cracked cylinder head (2018 CX-5)

Well, you tell me which engine DebQ has. That's the vehicle in question.. She didn't say where she bought it. Funny--she put a like on my post but didn't answer the question. I know you'd like all engine issues to be related to CD but that is not necessarily case.
Use the common sense. She uses “miles”, and the US is almost the only country in the world who still uses mile instead of km. “Mazda” kept her car for 3 weeks and then one more week, and “towed” her car over, these are the behaviors only US Mazda dealer will do. In addition, I’d say 95% of posts here are from the US and Canada.

And for 2018 CX-5 in the US and Canada, there’s only one engine, the 2.5L NA with CD.

Use the common sense. She uses “miles”, and the US is almost the only country in the world who still uses mile instead of km. “Mazda” kept her car for 3 weeks and then one more week, and “towed” her car over, these are the behaviors only US Mazda dealer will do. In addition, I’d say 95% of posts here are from the US and Canada.

And for 2018 CX-5 in the US and Canada, there’s only one engine, the 2.5L NA with CD.
Points well taken. Mazda sold somewhere in the range of 140,000 - 150,000 units in the US in 2018 alone. Probably 500,000+ CD versions all told. You're going to need a whole sh*tload more anecdotes posted here to make a compelling case, a volume that will never be achieved on this web site. I'll continue to monitor Consumer Reports major engine reliability category, a much larger sample and a more scientific method.

The fact that I had Ford and Toyotas and never had engine problems with both powertrains lasting over 200 k miles.

The fact that I joined this board after cpo purchase and before i had any powertrain problems and now after 18 months and only 36000 miles I have a lifters tapping problem(that they won't fix cause it doesnt happen all the time hence doesnt happen in the garage) does not bode well for these engines.
Coincidence very unlikely. Imo, there are alot more engine failures that dont get reported as well as those waiting to happen, ones the owners are maybe not aware of because their not mechanicly inclined/astute and dont see the leakage, hear the sounds, or recognize the problems. People that just keep topping off their oil and coolant but dont question it. Or hear the lifters tap dancing because the radios crancked up or they dont realize loud engine noise that comes and goes is a serious problem. Yes theres more out there. just a matter of time. Mazdas waiting out the shot clock on warranties.

Points well taken. Mazda sold somewhere in the range of 140,000 - 150,000 units in the US in 2018 alone. Probably 500,000+ CD versions all told. You're going to need a whole sh*tload more anecdotes posted here to make a compelling case, a volume that will never be achieved on this web site. I'll continue to monitor Consumer Reports major engine reliability category, a much larger sample and a more scientific method.
I can tell you’d never experienced Mazda’s rotary engine era back in 1990’s. I’d been at my Mazda dealer many times back them checking out Mazda vehicles because I love the innovations from Mazda since I was small. The pile of failed rotary engines in the backyard of the Town North Mazda was amazing.

Come on guys, I've warned a few of you a bunch of times about sticking to the thread topic in other threads. Circle back please.

The fact that I had Ford and Toyotas and never had engine problems with both powertrains lasting over 200 k miles.

The fact that I joined this board after cpo purchase and before i had any powertrain problems and now after 18 months and only 36000 miles I have a lifters tapping problem(that they won't fix cause it doesnt happen all the time hence doesnt happen in the garage) does not bode well for these engines.
Coincidence very unlikely. Imo, there are alot more engine failures that dont get reported as well as those waiting to happen, ones the owners are maybe not aware of because their not mechanicly inclined/astute and dont see the leakage, hear the sounds, or recognize the problems. People that just keep topping off their oil and coolant but dont question it. Or hear the lifters tap dancing because the radios crancked up or they dont realize loud engine noise that comes and goes is a serious problem. Yes theres more out there. just a matter of time. Mazdas waiting out the shot clock on warranties.
I can't imagine obsessing about a vehicle's impending failure. I can't imagine having that uneasiness or sour taste every time I got in the thing or even just looked it. I'd sell or trade it if I were you. Then again, every car I've owned as far back as I can recall has developed engine tapping with age in cold weather. The last two Siennas have gone 100,000 and 60,000 miles at least after developing the tapping. You could not even tell the engine was running at idle when new even standing outside 10 feet away. For years its been tap, tap, tap, run, run, run like a top with no problems whatsoever.

I can't imagine obsessing about a vehicle's impending failure. I can't imagine having that uneasiness or sour taste every time I got in the thing or even just looked it. I'd sell or trade it if I were you. Then again, every car I've owned as far back as I can recall has developed engine tapping with age in cold weather. The last two Siennas have gone 100,000 and 60,000 miles at least after developing the tapping. You could not even tell the engine was running at idle when new even standing outside 10 feet away. For years its been tap, tap, tap, run, run, run like a top with no problems whatsoever.
First, I like the vehicle and trading/selling it means losing $$.

But all said and done i probably will get rid of it before warranty expires.

You dont say how many miles were on them...so your sienna's started tapping while under warranty while they were still fairly new???

For what a vehicle costs nowadays I (and anyone else) expect a vehicle to last at least 10 years/150,000 miles without major powertrain problems and thats priced into my purchase.

Anything more is a bonus, anything less is a kick in the ass. Tapping lifters and cylinder head cracks during warranty is un-acceptable and imo, after the warranty is has expired(before 10 years) is also unacceptable. Especially with engines that cost several thousand $$ to replace/repair.

Glad to know you have the xtra cash $$ for it. Most people dont.

Last edited:
I can tell you’d never experienced Mazda’s rotary engine era back in 1990’s. I’d been at my Mazda dealer many times back them checking out Mazda vehicles because I love the innovations from Mazda since I was small. The pile of failed rotary engines in the backyard of the Town North Mazda was amazing.
My vehicle does not have a rotary engine nor 30 year old GM cylinder deactivation. I have no affinity with Mazda or any other automaker--every purchase starts with a blank sheet of paper. I don't care much for innovation until after others have done all the beta testing on their own dime.

So did I read correctly that you had 3 recalls and 7 other repairs before your warranties expired? Interesting. My 3 year, 18,000 mile bound-to-fail CD version has had no recalls, no repairs, and has no problems pending repair. The one exception was a PCM software update, free as a dealer courtesy since there's no TSB that addresses lugging. It has been a partial fix but the less than smooth shifting when driving in a less than zoom-zoom manner remains a disappointment, though not annoying enough to trade it.

In fact, I've owned some remarkably trouble free vehicles over the years, up to 150,000 miles and still running great, and I have to say, given no recalls on this CX-5, it has been the most trouble free through 3 years of ownership.

First, I like the vehicle and trading/selling it means losing $$.

But all said and done i probably will get rid of it before warranty expires.

You dont say how many miles were on them...so your sienna's started tapping while under warranty while they were still fairly new???

For what a vehicle costs nowadays I (and anyone else) expect a vehicle to last at least 10 years/150,000 miles without major powertrain problems and thats priced into my purchase.

Anything more is a bonus, anything less is a kick in the ass. Tapping lifters and cylinder head cracks after warranty is has expired(before 10 years) is unacceptable. Especially with engines that cost several thousand $$ to replace/repair.

Glad to know you have the xtra cash $$ for it. Most people dont.
You wouldn't lose much money swapping into a another vehicle of comparable age and mileage. Obsession has its own costs. Knowing when to cut one's losses is an important life lesson.

I don't recall when exactly my two Sienna's started cold weather tapping but I'm sure it was before the 5 year / 60k mile powertrain warranties were up. It was probably a gradual thing--I'm sure it didn't wake up one morning and decide to get noisy.

Just before leaving for Florida from the cold north a couple of weeks ago I noticed it was particularly noisy, maybe a little colder that day or not driven for a couple of days, can't exactly recall. Did that stop me driving it 1,400 miles to Florida? Of course not. Tapping is what it does at 110,000 miles and will continue to do so for many more miles, I would presume, like its predecessor. Same deal with my 2006 Accord V6 before this Mazda. I took note of a quite old, quite tap-tap noisy Camry in a Florida parking lot the other day, so no cold weather excuse there. I should have asked the guy how many miles he had on it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
You wouldn't lose much money swapping into a another vehicle of comparable age and mileage. Obsession has its own costs. Knowing when to cut one's losses is an important life lesson.

I don't recall when exactly my two Sienna's started cold weather tapping but I'm sure it was before the 5 year / 60k mile powertrain warranties were up. It was probably a gradual thing--I'm sure it didn't wake up one morning and decide to get noisy.

Just before leaving for Florida from the cold north a couple of weeks ago I noticed it was particularly noisy, maybe a little colder that day or not driven for a couple of days, can't exactly recall. Did that stop me driving it 1,400 miles to Florida? Of course not. Tapping is what it does at 110,000 miles and will continue to do so for many more miles, I would presume, like its predecessor. Same deal with my 2006 Accord V6 before this Mazda. I took note of a quite old, quite tap-tap noisy Camry in a Florida parking lot the other day, so no cold weather excuse there. I should have asked the guy how many miles he had on it. ;)
Actually trading in will result in approx. $4000 to $5000 loss, dealer gets your trade cheap to resell for profit, sells you another vehicle at tidy profit then you pay taxes and tags all over again plus loan APRs have increased. Most of depreciation has already occurred. Run it up to almost end of warranty period then trade is better option. Either way, it's a loss.

I've owned three Ford trucks/cars, a Toyota and a VW and all engines lasted til old age and none tapped and none had any other major engine problems so maybe youve just been unlucky.

And this is first vehicle i've owned to be problematic(and before 40 k miles to boot) with engine tapping and the possibly of cracked cylinder head in the future.

Last edited:
I've owned three Ford trucks/cars, a Toyota and a VW and all engines lasted til old age and none tapped and none had any other major engine problems so maybe youve just been unlucky.
Unlucky? I don't see it that way. Did the tapping need fixing in any of those vehicles, warranty or otherwise? No. Once warmed up they quieted down and then ran great. And that's been the state of affairs over many, many miles in multiple vehicles. What's not to like?

Actually trading in will result in approx. $4000 to $5000 loss, dealer gets your trade cheap to resell for profit, sells you another vehicle at tidy profit then you pay taxes and tags all over again plus loan APRs have increased.
I guess you're in one of those states like California that does not reduce the sales tax basis by the value of the trade. If not, you have to redo your math. Tags? You should get credit for the balance of registration on the traded vehicle, so net net there is no additional cost.

You're going to need a whole sh*tload more anecdotes posted here to make a compelling case...
Thinking back to the falling rocker arm problem of a few years ago, it's my recollection that there were only a handful of anecdotes (fewer than ten) posted by people who actually had that problem occur on their car. I'm pretty sure I've seen a lot more anecdotes about cracked cylinder heads.

The rocker arm problem resulted an apparently voluntary recall. I'm not holding my breath until there's a recall for the cracked cylinder head vulnerability.

It's hard to assess the relative safety hazard of the two defects. Both are rather low; neither is negligible. The more obvious difference is that addressing the rocker arm problem was cheap for Mazda--just reprogramming the PCM. Fixing the cracking cylinder head problem would be extremely expensive, probably thousands of dollars per car.

I hope many people who have experienced a cracked cylinder head will file a safety complaint with NHTSA, resulting in a mandatory recall.

Thinking back to the falling rocker arm problem of a few years ago, it's my recollection that there were only a handful of anecdotes (fewer than ten) posted by people who actually had that problem occur on their car. I'm pretty sure I've seen a lot more anecdotes about cracked cylinder heads.
When Go Hawks first exposed the rocker arm falling problem from cylinder deactivation on May 3, 2019, some were questioning his motive at the time. Not until Mazda issued a recall for the problem later, many here believe he’s making a big fuss over a minor issue.

Dangerous cylinder deactivation trouble on 2018 CX-5 and Mazda6 models

Noticed several posts which criticized Go Hawks’ motive at beginning have been missing?

At least here, Go Hawks was the only one posted the problem before the recall was issued because the problem wouldn’t be exposed easily unless you race the engine to the very high rpm with fallen rocker arms.

The rocker arm problem resulted an apparently voluntary recall. I'm not holding my breath until there's a recall for the cracked cylinder head vulnerability.
Officially it’s a voluntary recall by Mazda. But someone found the internal communication between NHTSA and Mazda North American Operations for the rocker arm falling problem, it’s the NHTSA who initiated the investigation. That’s why reporting the cracked cylinder head problem to NHTSA is essential.

It's hard to assess the relative safety hazard of the two defects. Both are rather low; neither is negligible. The more obvious difference is that addressing the rocker arm problem was cheap for Mazda--just reprogramming the PCM. Fixing the cracking cylinder head problem would be extremely expensive, probably thousands of dollars per car.
Yes. But I have mentioned it back then, that Mazda used an easy and cheap way to fix the rocker arm falling problem on the recall. They modified the PCM software changing the oil pressure to those switchable hydraulic lash adjusters used for cylinder deactivation. But Mazda didn’t address the side effects where the original switchable HLAs may not be able to handle the change. I truly believe that’s why we now see the tapping noise and bubble problem on these switchable HLAs. And that’s why Mazda also has revised those switchable HLAs implied in the related TSB and SA on tapping noise concerns.

I hope many people who have experienced a cracked cylinder head will file a safety complaint with NHTSA, resulting in a mandatory recall.
Yes, indeed. That’s the ultimate protection to those CX-5 owners.

Last edited:

Apples and oranges. The rocker arm issue was deemed a safety issue because vehicles were going into limp mode or stalling. Unless and until a sufficient number of safety complaints are logged for cracked cylinder heads there would not be any reason for a safety recall. I think you'd have to ignore all warnings associated with a cracked cylinder head until the engine fails while on the road and that might be logged as user stupidity not a safety issue.

Officially it’s a voluntary recall by Mazda. But someone found the internal communication between NHTSA and Mazda North American Operations for the rocker arm falling problem, it’s the HHTSA who initiated the investigation. That’s why reporting the cracked cylinder head problem to NHTSA is essential.
Well, yeah, voluntary recalls in the true sense of the word are likely non-existent. The NHTSA compiles incidence data from various reports: consumer complaints, police accident reports, whatnot. It doesn't take very many instances with concerning safety issues for the NHTSA to ask an automaker to look into it. If the automaker claims it is not a systemic issue and requires no action, and their evidence for that is not compelling to the NHTSA, then they issue a mandatory recall.

Well, yeah, voluntary recalls in the true sense of the word are likely non-existent. The NHTSA compiles incidence data from various reports: consumer complaints, police accident reports, whatnot. It doesn't take very many instances with concerning safety issues for the NHTSA to ask an automaker to look into it. If the automaker claims it is not a systemic issue and requires no action, and their evidence for that is not compelling to the NHTSA, then they issue a mandatory recall.
I can see your point and I agree that the cracked cylinder head and tapping noise problem would be more difficult to become a safety recall than the fallen rocker arms.

But remember the failing LED DRL and headlight recall (expensive fix, $1,200 each for part only X 2) on the 2016 / 2016.5 CX-5? I couldn’t see it coming for any “safety” reason? And the DRL is not mandatory in the US.

So just report problems to NHTSA. You never know.

.... I hope many people who have experienced a cracked cylinder head will file a safety complaint with NHTSA, resulting in a mandatory recall.

Yes, indeed. That’s the ultimate protection to those CX-5 owners.
I'll say for certain that a mandatory recall would not be my preference for any of the major engine issues that we've been discussing over the past few years. I wouldn't even want to think of one of these outfits doing major work on our vehicle's engines, if there are no symptoms of any issue.

What I definitely would like to have happen instead of that, is long-term, extended warranty coverage for both the HLA and also the head cracking issues. That said, I have no expectations that Mazda will be doing anything like that, unless the number of either of these issues increases significantly. At the current failure rate, they're just going to continue sweeping it under the rug, just as every automaker always tries to do with their dirt.

extended warranty would be nice indeed. But probanly not going to happen :(
Mazda did have recall for the CD - software fix. on 2018 models it disables the CD totally. On 2019 its incorporated plus some hardware changes and CD is fully enabled.

The cracking cyl head is another issue. Dont expect them to do much beyond the TSB and repair under the powertrain warranty. Also it seems most folks reporting this at between 20-50k miles.

Mazda did have recall for the CD - software fix. on 2018 models it disables the CD totally. On 2019 its incorporated plus some hardware changes and CD is fully enabled.
No, this’s definitely not the case. Never been mentioned such thing anywhere in the recall notice. The recall notice mentioned only changing the oil pressure to switchable HLAs so that the rocker arms won’t get too loose and dislodged under certain conditions.

Back