Considering a CX-5 GT

CSI007

:
2019 CX-5 AWD Black Signature
Hello everyone,
We are considering a CX-5 but I have some reservations reading the forum with all of the issues. Some minor, some more major.

1) Windshields cracking.
2) Electric seats doing crazy things.
3) seats rocking back and forth.
4) Transmission failures
5) Creaking noises etc. etc.
6) Also to a lesser extent the infotainment center not being up to par.

I am coming from a 2012 Kia Sportage with 114k miles that just bit the dust because of a known defect with rod bearing failure. (UGH!)

I had lots of problems with that car. Shocks, CV joints, creaking, seat problems, leather steering falling apart, brake caliper seized up etc. etc. I don't want a repeat!

I am torn between the RAV4 and the CX-5 GT with tech. I LOVE the CX-5 because it's closest to the driving experience of the kia with turbo (which kicked butt! and really can't be beat in the class) The RAV4 on the other hand, appears to have better reliability and less return to the dealer to fix issues but it's really not all that fun to drive.

Just wanted to get some feedback and maybe either put my mind at ease with this choice or maybe move on to something else because a lot of you have had issues etc. I realize that this forum is but a snap shot of a small segment but certainly useful in either direction.

Thank you

I am torn between the RAV4 and the CX-5 GT with tech.
You've already done enough research and you're on the right track making the final decision. But the final choice is really depending on your own priority and no one else can make a right decision for you. If you want a more reliable compact CUV with excellent resale value, Toyota RAV4 is the one. On the other hand if you want a driver's CUV with factory LED lightings but less reliable, then Mazda CX-5 with Tech Package is your cadidate. I'd think the most popular compact CUV, the Honda CR-V, should be also considered similar to the RAV4 side with even better resale value. Unfortunately there's no perfect compact CUV available and you always have to choose one with some deficiencies.

1) Windshields cracking.
There seems to be some increased risk for windshield damage. Even my windshield was replaced after being hit by a small rock and developing a crack.
However, nobody really knows how much more risk there is and there are definitely other vehicles with the same issue. Some are very popular.
I made sure I have no deductible for glass damage after buying the car.

2) Electric seats doing crazy things.
Many owners don't have this issue and I believe this is caused by the driver's hip touching the controls. My seat has not moved for a long time and I did catch my self touching the control in this way once, a while ago.

3) seats rocking back and forth.
It does seems that there a few affected vehicles, but not every one is effected. My seat does not rock and never did.

4) Transmission failures
Before 2016, there were a few cases of failure but overall very low (low, based on forum posts).
For 2016 MY, there was a known issue with some range of vins, but even with that, the number of posts was still very low. I believe that issue has been addressed.
My estimate is that there is a pretty low chance of an issue.

5) Creaking noises etc. etc.
Few cases of that. I am not sure other makes are 100% immune to this.

6) Also to a lesser extent the infotainment center not being up to par.
Anything without Android Auto is below par for me today. This includes Toyota's infotainment.
I think the new infotainment in the CX-5 is very good and the only true criticism is lack of promised real-time traffic. However, the only truly useful real-time traffic comes with Android Auto / Google Maps / Waze. Anything else is sub-standard for me.
Note that it is possible that Mazda will actually provide Android Auto support at a later time. Also, there is an Android Auto independent setup that's easy then ever to install.

I think the RAV4 is pretty good vehicle. The engine will be extra reliable, because it is the same one they've been using for many years. It is a little behind in fuel-economy, as a result. When I test drove it, I thought it was pretty decent, definitely better than the previous gen. It was also priced competitively at the time.
It drove pretty decent, turns as well, but not as good as the CX-5. It also looked just OK, especially in the front. The interior was underwhelming, with the "shelf" like and faux stitching.
Another thing to consider is newest crash testing data, where the RAV4 afforded poor protection for the front passenger. The CX-5 fared better, but with only 3/5 stars.

Last edited:
It was my understanding, per Consumer Reports, that for the last few years, Mazda has been pretty high up there on the reliability scale. I have the April issue of the magazine, which is their Car Buyer's Guide for 2016, and honestly with the exception of all American brands, and a lot of high-end luxury brands, everything else seemed to score reasonably well reliability-wise.

That being said, I am also currently shopping for CUVs, with a very high preference on the CX-5. The RAV4 was never in my consideration though because of the Takata nonsense, the way Toyota handled it in the beginning, and also their history with handling other safety issues, such as the sticking gas pedals in 2009/2010. Also, Toyota had a lot of issues with their V6 motor in 2008, and it took a long time of people complaining and Toyota once again dragging their feet and denying there was any problem before finally issuing a recall.

I would agree with the other poster to look at the CRV if you want an alternative to the CX-5. With the exception of the first couple of years of their CVTs, Honda has been just as reliable, and is comparable drive-wise to the RAV4.

did you look at available mods?

Not sure what you mean?

Thanks for the posts everyone!

I practically live in my vehicle being self employed. While reliability is very important so is driving fun. :) I loved being able to zip around people like they were sitting still in the sportage. I don't think the RAV4 or CRV (yuck!) can give me that kind of driving experience. Prior to the sportage I had a Hyundai Elantra Touring with a 2.0l - that thing was a dog! That's why I stepped up to a turbo.

For the past several weeks I have been driving my off-road truck and the gas is starting to really hurt. I am spending over 100 more a week now on gas so I need to move pretty fast. :(

While I love my cx5 and would still buy it again today if I had to do it over, but if I were you, I'd look at the new 16 Tucson. Second best looking cuv behind the cx5. Loaded with tech(android auto, android wear support), reliable, 10/100k warranty, dedicated 4x4 switch. Only thing I can't comment on is how it drives. My old 13 Elantra was an absolutely terrible driving machine. hated it with a passion and said I'd never buy another Hyundai. I would be lying though if I said I wouldn't give the new Tucson a look. I'm actually jealous of some of the features that car comes with that isn't available on the cx5. But then I try to remember that the cx5 is still a better looking cuv, drives better, and better awd system. But I'd definitely give the new Tucson a look. Definitely over the rav4.

Another thing to consider is newest crash testing data, where the RAV4 afforded poor protection for the front passenger. The CX-5 fared better, but with only 3/5 stars.
This is a false statement. 2017 Toyota RAV4 got better NHTSA frontal barrier crash test rating at 4 out of 5 stars on passenger side whereas 2016 Mazda CX-5 got 3 out of 5 stars on passenger side which is among the worst in compact CUVs. Here are the NHTSA crash test 5-star safety ratings in overall/frontal/driver/passenger printed on the window sticker of each vehicle for many popular compact CUVs:

2016 Honda CR-V: 5/5/5/5
2017 Hyundai Tucson: 5/5/5/5
2017 Ford Escape: 5/5/5/4
2017 Subaru Forester: 5/4/5/4
2017 Kia Sportage: 5/4/4/5
2017 Toyota RAV4: 5/4/4/4
2017 Chevrolet Equinox: 4/4/5/4
2016 Jeep Cherokee: 4/4/4/4
2016 Mazda CX-5: 4/4/5/3
2016 Nissan Rogue: 4/4/4/3
2017 Volkswagen Tiguan: 4/3/4/3

While I love my cx5 and would still buy it again today if I had to do it over, but if I were you, I'd look at the new 16 Tucson. Second best looking cuv behind the cx5. Loaded with tech(android auto, android wear support), reliable, 10/100k warranty, dedicated 4x4 switch. Only thing I can't comment on is how it drives. My old 13 Elantra was an absolutely terrible driving machine. hated it with a passion and said I'd never buy another Hyundai. I would be lying though if I said I wouldn't give the new Tucson a look. I'm actually jealous of some of the features that car comes with that isn't available on the cx5. But then I try to remember that the cx5 is still a better looking cuv, drives better, and better awd system. But I'd definitely give the new Tucson a look. Definitely over the rav4.

Wouldn't touch a 16 Tucson, they are having major issues with the DCT transmission, everything from delays, no power , to overheating of the trans, google it .

I think I am finished with Hyundai/Kia. The way that they have treated their customers with this engine issue (google Theta engine lawsuits) stinks! We own a Hyundai Santa Fe (2007 V6) and my wife loves it but its getting up there with over 165k miles. But its taken lawsuits for either company to acknowledge problems with these motors. The one in my vehicle is just starting and will likely take a year or more to settle.

My 2014 is going strong w/55+k now. I did have the driver mirror shimmy issue which they sort of fixed and a rear brake caliper seize up @35k but Mazda covered all but the opposite side rotor which I chose to replace out of pocket. If you value driving fun in a mainstream CUV- to me there's one choice. I looked at Forester XT, Tucson, Rav4 among others but always came away wanting. The Mazda didn't wow me at first either and I found the cloth seats uncomfortable and even tourings to ride pretty stiff on 17s (didn't want 19s of GT due to limited and more pricey tire choices and I figured it would ride notably worse), until one day I circled back and drove a GT- search over.. it feels pretty ordinary apart from the steering that is hands down best in class..until you push it as I was instructed to do. That's where the CX-5 flat out owns its competitors, yeah maybe not in the numbers but in terms of feel and ability to place the car where you want in corners is impressive as is the entire vehicle as a whole. Yeah its missing some of the latest bells and whistles but I'd buy another one (same exact thing) in a second as I'm 100% sure that its the best AWD daily driver out there for me right now. Its comfortable and efficient on my long commute and fun/capable enough to keep me entertained.

Last edited:
1) Windshields cracking. Original survived 6 chips that I repaired myself. 3 years later a big chip caused a crack. After market one going on 6 months no issues.
2) Electric seats doing crazy things. Have not experienced this.
3) seats rocking back and forth. Have not experienced this.
4) Transmission failures Have not experienced this.
5) Creaking noises etc. etc. Quiet interior trim with panels fitted tight.
6) Also to a lesser extent the infotainment center not being up to par. Navigation won't allow manual searches while driving only voice commands. Otherwise fulfills my needs.

It is certainly good to be aware of quirks and common areas of concern. However on the forums I never feel like we really get a good enough cross section or sampling of the consumers. We get the enthusiasts/car geeks, we get the folks that start an account to complain about a fault, and we get some trolls too. We don't get the other BIG% of buyers out there that are just plain fine and happy. So sometimes things can be skewed because of this.

I have had a few of them now, and have not experienced any problems with any of the items in your list...

1. Original windshield.. not a single ding that has needed to be repaired. I cross over a mountain pass that gets sanded all winter too.
2-5: No issues
6: Not wowed but it generally gets the job done for me. I do find it slower than the hard drive based nav unit in my '07 G35X

Wouldn't touch a 16 Tucson, they are having major issues with the DCT transmission, everything from delays, no power , to overheating of the trans, google it .

Well good to know! Don't feel as bad that I'm missing out on the tech offered in that vehicle. Cause honestly that's all it's got.

The CX-5 is not fun to drive for me. It does feel like I'm driving a sedan at times but braking is poor, and acceleration is unbearable.

After about 3 months of ownership, I already regret not purchasing a Subaru Forester, or waiting for the new VW Tiguan.

The CX-5 is not fun to drive for me. It does feel like I'm driving a sedan at times but braking is poor, and acceleration is unbearable.

After about 3 months of ownership, I already regret not purchasing a Subaru Forester, or waiting for the new VW Tiguan.

What? You thought the Forester was fun to drive? Hahahahahahahahaha. Fun is so far down the list of attributes for the Forester, it isn't even on the first page. Same with the Outback. Never in a Subaru review that I have read have they said it was fun. Even my wife said that is off our list as soon as we got in our car after the test drive at the Subaru dealer.

I spend a lot of time reading through forums of all different kinds of cars, staying up on the latest news, and compared to most other fourms, this one is pretty quiet as far as complaints and problems. Take the Canyon/Colorado I almost bought before the CX-5. It was nonstop complaints about real deal problems. Many buyers with less than 1000 miles having to call tow trucks to get home. I would chalk that up to it being a new truck, but come on, this is GM, who should know how to build a truck by now. Heck, there was well over a year between when they showed the truck and started deliveries.

Before that I was ready to sign on the dotted line for a new Jeep Grand Cherokee. Wife and I really enjoyed the test drives, and the dealer we were working with. Then I got home and started reading Jeep forums and buyer reviews on Edmunds and such. A lot of buyers said that the Jeep had spent more time at the dealer while they tried to figure out problems than it had in their driveway at home. There was even a massive thread in one forum about how many people were getting turned over by their dealership to 3rd party companies that would buy their jeeps just before the lemon law would kick in so it wouldn't get reported as such. I didn't even know there were companies out there that would do that.
And then I saw this on autoblog I think:

You should really watch that. So worth it.

Point is, just like every magizine/blog review/podcast says, it is the most fun to drive in it's class. And compared to a lot of other cars, problems are pretty low. The percentage of people that find forums to complain and post problems is pretty high compared to those that don't have problems and never even know there are cool forums like this one out there.

Did you not test drive the vehicle? Those 2 things could have been identified at a test drive. But I gotta say, I think you're the first one to ever say the cx5 is not fun to drive. Relative to cuv/suvs. Your observations are subjective but if you find those to be true in the cx5, you're gonna be disappointed in just about any cuv.

Proud owner of a 2016.5 GT with Tech and after weighing many other CUVs after 3 months of ownership and about 5k miles I'm still very happy with my decision. Granted that's a short period of ownership, but I feel I chose the CUV that looks the best, handles the best, solid reliability, awesome LED lights, infotainment is great, GPS is even pretty darn good in terms of a "car" GPS.

I feel the CX5 balances this great mix of aesthetics, performance, mpg, and quality I couldn't find in other CUVs. I tried CRV, RAV4, Crosstrek XV, and a few others. Every car can have its issues, and everyone has their opinions, but just my 2 cents. I went on a short family trip to hershey park and only took half a tank of gas each way, which is 229m, I was impressed with the solid 30mpg there and back.

Back