Mazda MX-3 All Motor Build

Starting the wiring harness this week as well. Lots of un-used sensors to get rid of and hopefully get it looking a bit more clean in the engine bay. Updates on that when it's done.

Attachments

• 550F53C4-9364-4AC2-8EF6-C3C64008505D.jpeg
    550F53C4-9364-4AC2-8EF6-C3C64008505D.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 161
The wiring harness was my biggest obstacle, should be simple as your not marrying two different makes. Everything looks great so far, continue the good work.

The harness was just going to be a clean up at first as im no electrical expert (new loom, remove vris sensors etc...) but once you get all the loom off and really take a look at it all it really isnt that hard to design a harness the way you want it. Ive made good progress on it so far by removing every sensor / connector thats not needed and just ran some rope through the engine bay to plan out the new layout. Ill post pictures as i go.

Sorry not much news on the motor as of yet but I am making some good progress on the engine harness project. I deleted a ton of un-used connectors / sensors at the ECU pins which really made the harness a lot easier to work with as now I am down to only 14 connectors off the ECU. I had planned on splicing the harness into a bulkhead connector into the firewall but after a bit of research it turned out to be a lot more costly to do this than expected and with only 14 connectors now I scraped that idea. Picked up some loom called ''Performatherm'' at a local parts store and it looks like it should make a pretty good harness material. I will use some Raychem DR-25 off the main harness where the connectors branch off. Not a crazy milspec harness or anything like that but its coming along and should look much nicer in the bay.

hoLQaEn.jpg

L03UMAF.jpg

D64spAj.jpg

Finally got the harness all finished up, its nothing special but is a huge improvement over the stock harness I think. Has a much cleaner route through the engine bay and is completely heat resistant. Just have to add a few connectors and tape the seams in the harness up and its all ready to go. I am really happy with how it turned out and was a great leaning experience.
BTXe3iq.jpg

KpWc7t4.jpg

wd5z8q8.jpg

Z4PcEmT.jpg

Haven’t posted on the forums for a while...Here’s an updated pic of the motor for the build though. Audi r8 coils and sequential firing currently in the works and a new mspro ultimate ecu.

Attachments

• 486DCDD9-3A77-482F-9B60-9E505A829ECE.png
    486DCDD9-3A77-482F-9B60-9E505A829ECE.png
    262.6 KB · Views: 88
Hey man, love your build! Your attention to detail and commitment to doing it RIGHT is really impressive.

In your first post, you mentioned you moved over here from Probetalk; I'm thinking about doing the same from mx6.com. Thanks for showing me that it can be done!

Hey man, love your build! Your attention to detail and commitment to doing it RIGHT is really impressive.

In your first post, you mentioned you moved over here from Probetalk; I'm thinking about doing the same from mx6.com. Thanks for showing me that it can be done!
Majority of my posting is now on fb. Join the mazda/probe owners group.

That looks AWESOME. Love the coil-on-plug conversion in particular. I'm on my 2nd 2G MX-6 at the moment and would love to get rid of the KL's flaky distributor.

And yeah, I do all my question asking on the FB MX-6 group, but I hate FB for build/resto logs, hence my search for a forum (and one that's better than what mx6.com has become).

Latest posts

Back