Boring Daily Build

Yeah, that's your gasket leaking, but, there should be no oil at all coming out of that gasket. Just exhaust and it should be almost clear.

You are burning a s*** load of oil.
It shouldn't be running down the header.

Don't worry about headlights and superficial stuff until you get the oil burning figured out.

You wouldn't pass smog if you are burning like that.

Unless Trump cancels the smog program??

My local provincial government just canceled it here in Ontario.
No more smog tests and the CEL can flash all it wants. Lol...

(I've got no CELs though, my car runs clean.)

I don't think leaking valve seals can leak that much oil unless you've got no valve seals at all...??

3 seconds of unburnt fuel hitting our delicate pre-cat can burn it out.

You've got a quart of oil hitting it every couple hundred miles.

Our two cars put together would make a damn nice P5 !! Lol... I've got newer control arms.

You really should be considering a new engine or rebuild.

I think any type of treatment for seized rings is too late at this point.
Your oil drain holes are all plugged.

Is there any way you can make a rebuild part of your course curriculum at school??

That would be cool !!

Yeah a good little puddle of oil with only running for maybe 2 minutes total. Definitely concerning. No smog would be nice.
Hahaha yeah I could use your engine and control arms and you could use my solid body.
Unfortunately we just finished the engine portion but if I convince my teacher I can get it done quickly then maybe. I feel pretty confident I could do it with how small and accessible these engines are. I think the chances of me finding a good used engine is slim but I’ll start looking :/

so for oil to be coming out of that gasket that means oil is just being dumped into the exhaust? That’s what I was fearing as I saw it.

plan is to replace control arm tomorrow.

The PO did say to my friend as I was looking the car over “I replaced the valve seals but maybe I did something wrong”

Did you do your control arms? Straight forward task?

Getting the bolt through part #8 and threaded was a PITA.

The bolt threads straight up but it isn't aligned with the threaded bolt hole with the control arm all the way down.

I had to jack up the control arm with the cars' scissor jack to level it and loosen the 3 boots of the bracket to be able to line up the bolt.

Be careful because the car can start to lift off the t-stand on that corner and can fall on you.

Okay I think that’s the same bolt that was a problem in a video I watched.

I think he misdiagnosed the piston rings but the engine never smoked when I had it just the exhaust and only on the first start of the day never while idle or acceleration.

Thanks maybe I’ll contact him, I just did a quick search on marketplace and nothing. Maybe I’ll call some junk yards.

" the engine never smoked when I had it just the exhaust and only on the first start of the day never while idle or acceleration. "

That's oil rings.
They expand after the engine warms up and start sealing better.

Your engine is only smoking because of the bad exhaust gasket, ... otherwise, it would be going out the tailpipe.

I would assume the gasket is new with the cat but if you look at the bottom gasket half of it is hanging out and ripped off so I ordered the lower gasket I guess I’ll order the upper one. I’m debating if I want to buy a compression tester or wait until I can do it at school.

Your compression should be fine, ...

It's your oil rings that aren't working..

Do the "quick and sloppy" ring job that Mr. Giggles did...

Leave the engine in the car.

Back