30,000 Mile Maintenance Quote

This thread from a few months ago has been helpful!

My local (Seattle area) dealer wants $525 for "30,000 mile" service on my 2018 CX-5 (31,000 miles). I changed both the engine air filter and cabin filter 3 months ago and the wiper blades 6 months ago. I am very much leaning toward having them just change the oil and filter and maybe the lock and hinge lubrication? Last time I had the oil changed, the technician did the "complimentary multipoint inspection," as mentioned above, that seemed to cover almost all of the items below. I bought the vehicle more than 36 months ago and am out of warranty.

This is what the dealer promises to do for the $525:
  • Up to 5 quarts synthetic oil
  • Inspect tire inflation pressure and tire wear
  • Rotate tires
  • Replace engine air filter
  • Replace wiper blades/inserts
  • Service battery and replace battery pads
  • Lubricate all locks and hinges
  • Inspect battery and check performance
  • Inspect brake fluid level
  • Inspect brake lines, hoses and connections
  • Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, brake lines and hoses, and parking brake
  • Inspect disc brakes
  • Inspect drive belts
  • Inspect engine coolant level
  • Inspect exhaust system and heat shields
  • Inspect for oil and any other fluid leaks
  • Inspect front and rear suspension ball joints
  • Inspect front and rear suspension, ball joints and wheel bearing axial play
  • Inspect fuel lines and hoses
  • Inspect power steering fluid level
  • Inspect wallet and remove as much cash as possible

FIFY (fixed it for you)

Just a note: Do not use a wet lube for your locks. You should only ever use a dry lube like 3-in-One Lock Dry Lube, or Permatex Extra-Fine Graphite Lubricant. Using a wet lube can gunk up your locks as it mixes with the dry lube already in there.

$525!!! What a screaming RIPOFF !!! As mentioned a lot of that is "Full Circle Inspection" anyway. As for the dealer ever lubricating the door hinges etc. , never happened in the first 60K miles the dealer did EVERY oil change. Being old school, I used to use white lithium grease but gave it up. On door hinges (never in door locks) it runs and makes a mess in hot weather and on window tracks it slows operation down terribly due to thickening in cold weather. Seems to accumulate a lot of dirt and turn black. Probably good on garage door opener chains. I use the clear synthetic 'SuperLube' for better results. Just my experience.

Lubing door hinges as a routine maintenance in vehicles of relatively recent vintage is a waste.

From personal experience, 10 years on 2004 Sienna, 14 years on a 2006 Accord, 7 years on a 2014 Sienna, 2 years on a 2020 CX-5--all unnecessary.

The Mazda Full Circle Report Card does not even include an inspection of hinges let alone lubing them.

If something has bent, the vehicle has been in an accident, or the vehicle hits very high years/mileage, then the doors might not close smoothly and some lube might help. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Less is more.

Back