225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

You sure about that, because I have seen them on many other non-Mazda vehicles here, mostly Subarus. I am absolutely certain that Mazda is not the only car manufacturer using Yokohama Geolandar G91 tires as their factory tires.

Edit: Perhaps they were the ones that requested the tire, sure, but they most certainly are not the only ones using it, and I highly doubt people are buying these at the tire store and putting them on their non-Mazda vehicles at over $200/each.
Firstly, if you go to Yokohama website, there's no G91A tire under Geolandar product line. Secondly, with such a poor specs, "280 B A" UTQG, there's no way to compete with any tires on the market. Thirdly, there's only one size, 225/65R17, for Yokohama Geolandar G91A, and there's no other size available!

May be I should say Yokohama created an OE tire Geolandar G91A with low specs and cheap price for car manufactures, and Mazda chose it for its very low cost.

Firstly, if you go to Yokohama website, there's no G91A tire under Geolandar product line. Secondly, with such a poor specs, "280 B A" UTQG, there's no way to compete with any tires on the market. Thirdly, there's only one size, 225/65R17, for Yokohama Geolandar G91A, and there's no other size available!

May be I should say Yokohama created an OE tire Geolandar G91A with low specs and cheap price for car manufactures, and Mazda chose it for its very low cost.
Makes sense and not arguing that, jhsy saying Mazda does not appear to be the only ones using them.

Today 11:46 AM
Have you gone out and had any fun driving to really test out those General's
Just to and from work which is city driving and they go fine.

But I am taking a road trip up into the mountains this weekend. I will let you know!

Just saw a Lexus CUV with Yokohama G91 tires. Not sure if different from the G91A.

Just saw a Lexus CUV with Yokohama G91 tires. Not sure if different from the G91A.
Based on Tire Rack, Lexus NX and some Toyota's do use Yokohama Geolandar G91AV 225/65R17 102H which has "200 B A" UTQG、102 load index with maximum load 1,874 lbs.、and 51 psi maximum inflation pressure. it also has Yokohama BluEarth technology as an environmentally-friendly tire.

Our OE Yokohama Geolandar G91A P225/65R17 100H has "280 B A" UTQG、100 load index with maximum load 1,764 lbs.、and 44 psi maximum inflation pressure. It doesn't have Yokohama BluEarth technology.

With 51 psi maximum inflation pressure and BluEarth technology, G91AV is a newer designed tire hence it should cost more than G91A for car manufactures.

It seems Yokohama created a product line Geolandar G91 specifically for OEM needs which has short tread life. It's like those toner cartridges come with the laser printer which have much less powder content inside hence much shorter life.

Based on Tire Rack, Lexus NX and some Toyota's do use Yokohama Geolandar G91AV 225/65R17 102H which has "200 B A" UTQG、102 load index with maximum load 1,874 lbs.、and 51 psi maximum inflation pressure. it also has Yokohama BluEarth technology as an environmentally-friendly tire.

Our OE Yokohama Geolandar G91A P225/65R17 100H has "280 B A" UTQG、100 load index with maximum load 1,764 lbs.、and 44 psi maximum inflation pressure. It doesn't have Yokohama BluEarth technology.

With 51 psi maximum inflation pressure and BluEarth technology, G91AV is a newer designed tire hence it should cost more than G91A for car manufactures.

It seems Yokohama created a product line Geolandar G91 specifically for OEM needs which has short tread life. It's like those toner cartridges come with the laser printer which have much less powder content inside hence much shorter life.
Yep, I think you are right!

So my verdict...I liked the Michelins better.

These work great at their price point, but I am missing some of the feel my Michelins had.

I*m obviously a big fan of General tires,and I already knew you were gonna say this right here. I almost posted for you when he asked about it the other day. Lol

They aren*t the greatest for all out spirited driving,but they*re definitely the best bang for the buck,and as an overall tire,hold their own well IMO. It*s just all in what you want overall and are willing to pay for,or sacrifice in other areas. Give a little,take a little...

Last edited:
I*m obviously a big fan of General tires,and I already knew you were gonna say this right here. I almost posted for you when he asked about it the other day. Lol

They aren*t the greatest for all out spirited driving,but they*re definitely the best bang for the buck,and as an overall tire,hold their own well IMO. It*s just all in what you want overall and are willing to pay for,or sacrifice in other areas. Give a little,take a little...
Completely agree. So don't get me wrong. I am happy with them as I wasn't willing to spend the big bucks ;)

Completely agree. So don't get me wrong. I am happy with them as I wasn't willing to spend the big bucks ;)

Interesting are you finding a big difference between the RT43s and the Michelins (which Michelin and it was on your CX-5?).

I'm still a little stuck as I've done too much research. Happens. Too bad TireRack doesn't have a video comparing four of these tires in one test. Most of the tires I've been looking at have rebates right now and with this $61 per tire credit I'm feeling some flexibility about price and in regards of what to buy. I can get the RT43s at DT out the door for $615 and after the rebate comes to $565 for a set of 19". The Pirelli Cintuarato P7s look iffy on wet roads compared to the others. So the Michelin Premiers, Contis and Generals have my attention. Seems the Michelin Defenders may have a stiffer/noisier ride (very high mileage rated). So at this point the Michelin Premier LTX, Continental True Contact (Tour) and the General Altimax RT43 have my eye. DT (actually the guy at DT who took the call from Toyo) says the credit isn't based on mileage but another guy said it was, (uhm). But will say the guy who took the Toyo called talks like he knew what was going on, in general, versus the other guy who seems like he's shooting from the hip. But given the rebates and this credit I think it makes sense to get new tires if I'm at 4/32".

Prices below are per tire only after Toyo credit and rebate (doesn't include tax or certs)
Michelin Premier LTX - $98
Continental True Contact (Tour) - $129 (apparenly no rebate on this tire as it was thought previously there was)
General Altimax RT43 - $89 ($565 grand total)

Last edited:
I had the Michelin Latitude Tours which aren't even rated the best, but as a spirited driver the steering response felt better and they performed around corners better.

Haven't noticed a difference on the Generals personally. MPG pretty in line with what I was getting on the Michelins. Mostly city driving, so between 26-27 for me.

So, you're pretty happy with the RT43s outside of some of the spirited driving?

I'm seeing this thing called "Rim Protect" at General about the RT43s (specs). Seems to vary between tire sizes whether it has it or not. What is this?

Last edited:
So, you're pretty happy with the RT43s outside of some of the spirited driving?

I'm seeing this thing called "Rim Protect" at General about the RT43s (specs). Seems to vary between tire sizes whether it has it or not. What is this?
I believe the "Rim Protect" is a "hump" built into the edge of the tire around the rim. It should protect the rim getting scratched when your tires rub the curb.

Remember ColoradoDriver has 225/65R17 General AltiMAX RT43 tires. With 225/55R19 RT43 tires on our GT the cornering performance should be better with shorter sidewall.

I believe the "Rim Protect" is a "hump" built into the edge of the tire around the rim. It should protect the rim getting scratched when your tires rub the curb.

Remember ColoradoDriver has 225/65R17 General AltiMAX[emoji769] RT43 tires. With 225/55R19 RT43 tires on our GT the cornering performance should be better with shorter sidewall.
Yeah that's a good point.

Overall they are ok. I was on a road yesterday though and they felt a little jerky aide to side. One of those grooved roads. Not sure if the tread pattern doesn't play nice with them, or if I just need to get something checked.

Yeah, tread pattern is a big factor on grooved pavement, drawbridge grates, etc. Most tires don't like those surfaces. Probably nothing to worry about.

Remember ColoradoDriver has 225/65R17 General AltiMAX* RT43 tires. With 225/55R19 RT43 tires on our GT the cornering performance should be better with shorter sidewall.

Makes sense. The current A23s seem to do okay with curbs and rims so I wonder how these would fare as they don't have the Rim Protect on the 19" RT43s. I like to park closer to curbs to pull away from others to avoid door dings. Plus, out front of my place, when I don't park in the garage, the curb/sidewalk is quite curved and it's easy to bump up against.

Back