Guide 2016~2021 CX-9 DIY Transmission Fluid Drain and Fill + Filter Change

Yes, very likely that’d happen. But the increase of the ATF level should be insignificant with the ATF temperature rises a couple of degrees above the 122°F
Man I just spent $324 on the mk808 to use on future atf change on the cx-5, future use on an 08 civic w/181k mi (no codes popped up yet lol), and a future next gen Tacoma (hopefully by that time the mk808 would still be useful even after the 1 yr free updates is over). Used mk808 on ebay is the price of around $320-$350 so hopefully I can sell it for same amount I paid in the future.

Or

Return and use what the prev members are using which includes a cheaper obd ii devices + app for about $50-$60.

Please help!

Forscan is free, other than the required dongle. I'd go that route. I got the Autel, because I do do all of my own maintenance on all of my cars, not just Mazdas, so the Autel fit my needs perfectly. If you're just wanting to check trans temps on a Mazda, and you don't have any other need, I can see where the Autel may be a bit much.

Man I just spent $324 on the mk808 to use on future atf change on the cx-5, future use on an 08 civic w/181k mi (no codes popped up yet lol), and a future next gen Tacoma (hopefully by that time the mk808 would still be useful even after the 1 yr free updates is over). Used mk808 on ebay is the price of around $320-$350 so hopefully I can sell it for same amount I paid in the future.

Or

Return and use what the prev members are using which includes a cheaper obd ii devices + app for about $50-$60.

Please help!
Tbh how infinitely configurable the app with the reader is was the real draw. You don’t need the extra package unless you want to read certain sensors. There are also other apps that probably do it for free but I don’t mind supporting the developer.

I also always have my phone and the Bluetooth reader in my car and I’m not super concerned about losing the reader or it breaking because they’re cheap.

There's your answer, right there! The MK808 absolutely reads trans temps!

View attachment 306788
I finally got a mk808 a while back but I didn’t create a Autel ID nor did I register the mk808 to use it. Heck I didn’t even connect to wifi since I am thinking the 1 yr free updates should not start unless I connect online. I dont want to waste the free updates since the next gen Tacoma is not out yet and it still works w/o updates on my 08 Civic.

Btw did you notice any difference after updates?

Unrelated: my 21 cx-5 GTR awd is making “a knock” or “small pop” noise going over dips. It seems both sides.

I just called both of my local dealerships as I was planning to replace the ATF and transmission filter this summer.

The first dealership I talked to wouldn't even price anything out after I told him my mileage (90000 kms). He insisted that the transmission filter is "not serviceable", so I didn't bother arguing the point.

The second dealership I called had no issue giving me prices on the parts (transmission fluid pan was quoted at $109.15 CDN :confused:), but the rep was also under the impression that the filter was not serviceable. He put me on hold to speak with one of their techs, and came back on to say that the tech confirmed that the filter is not serviceable.

I can buy a non-OEM Hengst transmission filter from RockAuto, but the pan isn't available. Guess I'll just be doing a drain and fill this year. 🤷‍♂️

I just called both of my local dealerships as I was planning to replace the ATF and transmission filter this summer.

The first dealership I talked to wouldn't even price anything out after I told him my mileage (90000 kms). He insisted that the transmission filter is "not serviceable", so I didn't bother arguing the point.

The second dealership I called had no issue giving me prices on the parts (transmission fluid pan was quoted at $109.15 CDN :confused:), but the rep was also under the impression that the filter was not serviceable. He put me on hold to speak with one of their techs, and came back on to say that the tech confirmed that the filter is not serviceable.

I can buy a non-OEM Hengst transmission filter from RockAuto, but the pan isn't available. Guess I'll just be doing a drain and fill this year. 🤷‍♂️
Why you need a new ATF pan when you drop the pan to replace the filter cartridge?

Why you need a new ATF pan when you drop the pan to replace the filter cartridge?

As mentioned in post #4, a new pan is optional if you don't want to deal with scraping the old gasket off of the removed pan. With the price of the pan being $29 as listed in post #4, it seemed like a no brainer to save myself some time and effort. Since the price of the pan quoted to me was $109 CDN, it may be worth it for me to just scrape the old gasket off and reuse it, or buy an aftermarket pan (or order online) if I can find one.

As mentioned in post #4, a new pan is optional if you don't want to deal with scraping the old gasket off of the removed pan. With the price of the pan being $29 as listed in post #4, it seemed like a no brainer to save myself some time and effort. Since the price of the pan quoted to me was $109 CDN, it may be worth it for me to just scrape the old gasket off and reuse it, or buy an aftermarket pan (or order online) if I can find one.
The ATF pan is made of metal. Scraping the old RTV off of the removed metal pan actually isn’t a big deal. It’s the other mating side of the aluminum casing which would be more difficult to scrap and have to be careful not to scratch the mating surface much as the the aluminum is softer.

Besides, you still need the proper scraping tools and solvent to remove the old RTV on the aluminum mating side even if you’re going to use a new pan.

I use Wix filters. They come with a gasket too, so no more RTV.

The ATF pan is made of metal. Scraping the old RTV off of the removed metal pan actually isn’t a big deal. It’s the other mating side of the aluminum casing which would be more difficult to scrap and have to be careful not to scratch the mating surface much as the the aluminum is softer.

Besides, you still need the proper scraping tools and solvent to remove the old RTV on the aluminum mating side even if you’re going to use a new pan.

As mentioned in post #4

I use Wix filters. They come with a gasket too, so no more RTV.
So as a person who is awful at arts & crafts, using a gasket (instead of RTV) is really appealing to me.

So why didn't Mazda use a gasket in the first place? Is there a downside to using a gasket if I choose to do a filter replacement?

RTV is faster to install because you don't have to carefully line up the bolt holes.
That's why they use it on an assembly line.

RTV is faster to install because you don't have to carefully line up the bolt holes.
Did you use any grease when you used a gasket on your service?

Also, what torque is everyone using when replacing the filter and pan bolts?

I dabbed a *tiny* amount of Hondabond HT at the four corners just to hold the gasket in place while I reinstall the pan. Other than that, goes on dry.

For torque, I use my Milwaukee M12 1/4" ratchet and snug them until the ratchet has given all it's got. And trust me it pretty worn out, so it's not much. Brand New it's only rated like 30 ft.lbs, so I guess I'm getting 25-28 out of it.

I do this on all my cars, nothing anywhere leaks, and no pan deformations.

OK, got it. Those who had dropped the pan with the CX-5 had never mentioned clean-up issue of the “steps” on the mating surface of the pan. But with such the big increase on price for the ATF pan from $30 to $55.98, is it still worth it?

Only reason I could see needing to replace the pan would be from physical damage or rusting through.

I can’t agree with you on this. How difficult you program a robot to apply the RTV around the ATF pan mating surface especially you have to apply around 16 screw holes than simply aligning the pan gasket to the pan? Using the RTV to seal the pan is a lot more difficult on an assembly line. There’s a reason why most car manufactures use RTV to seal the ATF pan nowadays. Easy assembly isn’t the reason IMO.

Back