Guide 2016~2021 CX-9 DIY Transmission Fluid Drain and Fill + Filter Change

Does anyone knows if transmission filter FZ01-21-500 can be used with a 21 cx-5 gtr (turbo) all info says 2020 but not 2021?

I am filling up the partsouq.com cart lol
There’s no (physical) change on transmission between 2020 and 2021 2.5T. The ATF filter cartridge should be the same. You can always call the parts at any Mazda dealer to verify.

Edit
Just read that an OBDII might be needed to read the ATF temp at 122 deg F.
Edit
Or is driving it to warm up the coolant temp gauge on the instrument cluster like 30 mins drive is enough?

I don't think most OBD2 reader can read ATF temp. You'll need pro level scanner to read ATF temp.

I don't think most OBD2 reader can read ATF temp. You'll need pro level scanner to read ATF temp.
Damn so just follow post #3 and forget about the temperature at 122deg? The temp is making me nervous pn the next trans oil change lol

Damn so just follow post #3 and forget about the temperature at 122deg? The temp is making me nervous pn the next trans oil change lol

I wouldn't worry too much about the temperature.
Mazda 6 speed AT isn't too much different from my MDX's 6 speed AT. I do drain and fill the same amount drained. Just don't do it when the ATF is too hot or too cold. Or, you can drain and let it cool down to ambient temp. Use very large container not to spill any, measure carefully. Drive for 15 minutes or so, check the ATF level. A bit more or less isn't going to kill the transmission. If too much, siphon out some, no big deal.

As long as CX-5 has an ATF dipstick, transmission service is much easier than those newer cars without one.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much about the temperature.
Not like engine oil, ATF is a lot more sensitive on thermal expansion and contraction to the temperature. If you don’t take ATF level measurement at exact 122°F while the engine is idling, the reading on the dipstick most likely is off.

Mazda 6 speed AT isn't too much different from my MDX's 6 speed AT.
Mazda’s SkyActiv-Drive 6-speed automatic is unique to the traditional 6-speed auto such as the one on your Acura MDX. Mainly SkyActiv-Drive 6-speed auto uses a lock-up multi-plate clutch in torque converter for EVERY gear to transmit power at the speed over 5 mph.

I do drain and fill the same amount drained. Just don't do it when the ATF is too hot or too cold. Or, you can drain and let it cool down to ambient temp. Use very large container not to spill any, measure carefully. Drive for 15 minutes or so, check the ATF level. A bit more or less isn't going to kill the transmission. If too much, siphon out some, no big deal.
The main problem for doing this way on ATF drain-and-fill, to fill the same amount of ATF drained, is it’s been proven many times that Mazda has a habit of UNDER-FILLing the ATF in its SkyActiv-Drive 6-speed automatic transmission from factory.

As long as CX-5 has an ATF dipstick, transmission service is much easier than those newer cars without one.
Yes.

Not like engine oil, ATF is a lot more sensitive on thermal expansion and contraction to the temperature. If you don’t take ATF level measurement at exact 122°F while the engine is idling, the reading on the dipstick most likely is off.

Mazda’s SkyActiv-Drive 6-speed automatic is unique to the traditional 6-speed auto such as the one on your Acura MDX. Mainly SkyActiv-Drive 6-speed auto uses a lock-up multi-plate clutch in torque converter for EVERY gear to transmit power at the speed over 5 mph.

The main problem for doing this way on ATF drain-and-fill, to fill the same amount of ATF drained, is it’s been proven many times that Mazda has a habit of UNDER-FILLing the ATF in its SkyActiv-Drive 6-speed automatic transmission from factory.

Yes.
Wait so what is the best way to do a trans filter/fluid change w/o a obd II scanner?

Edit
21 cx-5 gtr (turbo)

Last edited:
Wait so what is the best way to do a trans filter/fluid change w/o a obd II scanner?

Edit
21 cx-5 gtr (turbo)
On CX-5’s with blue cold coolant indicator light, the light turns off at 131°F coolant temperature. Some use that as an indicator to check the ATF level when the blue light just turned off. They assume the ATF temperature is about 122°F at least in ATF cooler.

Yes, ATF is more sensitive than engine oil. But its thermal expansion rate is less than 5% (not my experiment, but a few did crude experiment), not a huge difference. Also, Mazda ATF dipstick shows wide range of acceptable ATF level, a little less or more isn't going to blow the transmission.

I'm not implying Mazda CX-5 and Acura MDX have the same or similar transmission. Only they fluid can be swapped similar way. They both have small dipsticks and drain hole, I'm certain you're aware of this.

I stated to check the ATF level after driving around 15 min or so. I admit after 15 min of driving, the ATF temp will probably reach much higher. Only about 10 min idling and going through the gears should bring the temp to 122℉(50℃), which is 24℉(13.3℃) higher than human body temp.

You should be able tell the ATF has reached correct temp range by touching the tranny pan and feel a bit warmer than your body.

Last edited:
On CX-5’s with blue cold coolant indicator light, the light turns off at 131°F coolant temperature. Some use that as an indicator to check the ATF level when the blue light just turned off. They assume the ATF temperature is about 122°F at least in ATF cooler.

Coolant temperature rises much faster than any other fluids, leading resulting in incorrect ATF level by using above method.

2021 CX-5 doesn't have BLUE coolant temp indicator light.

Looks like you're going to do some (more like a lot more than others) maintenance yourself, I suggest you should invest in a good pro level scan tool. Scan Gauge II is a good one and not very expensive. Autel Scanner MaxiCOM MK808, a bit high but it'll pay itself in no time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
The Autel MaxiCOM MK808 is $449 after coupon.

ScanGauge ii is $159: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I wonder which Scotty Kilmer uses lol

Yes, ATF is more sensitive than engine oil. But its thermal expansion rate is less than 5% (not my experiment, but a few did crude experiment), not a huge difference.
If the ATF thermal expansion and contraction to the temperature is insignificant, all car manufactures won’t specify a required ATF temperature while checking the ATF level.

Also, Mazda ATF dipstick shows wide range of acceptable ATF level, a little less or more isn't going to blow the transmission.
I won’t say Mazda ATF dipstick shows “wide range” of acceptable ATF level, especially the workshop manual says to adjust the ATF level if the reading on the dipstick isn’t on the small “center marking area” of the dipstick.

5244B6D1-2F58-4EC4-A3A6-89B10787EE87.jpeg

7AFA7907-092B-4184-8B38-91D3F3A6B608.jpeg

Last edited:
The Autel MaxiCOM MK808 is $449 after coupon.

ScanGauge ii is $159: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
More discussions here:

Anyone found an OBD2 phone app that will read transmission fluid temp?

Guide ATF Drain/Fill

2016.5 CX-5 Transmission fluid change questions

Transmission fluid change without filter replacement

Some OBDIi readers or scanners don’t display Mazda’s ATF temperature. Some display “fake” Mazda’s ATF temperature by using coolant temperature value.

I wonder which Scotty Kilmer uses lol
Don’t think he uses any OBDII readers or scanners ⋯ :whistle:

Of course many use (free?) FORScan Lite to get ATF temperature readout.

4907C0E4-5654-4F0E-B6AE-9429860C7B00.png

DF18A244-7487-4495-ACDD-6F89F180DA5F.png

2019 CX-5 Diesel Aftermarket Transmission Cooler

Just downloaded it off Google play store ...

AA567066-B004-4F07-BF18-5942BCFA378C.png

View attachment 303017
FORScan Lite for Android
v1.5.11
Kernel v2.3.41

The Bluetooth plug-in obdii port link is one of the recommended units from ForScan website ...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I also purchased the vLinker USB cable to run it from a Windows based laptop in the future (but you can break stuff with that!)

Holy moly, that Autel is a steal! I just ordered one, thanks! I have a Foxwell now, and it's good, but it's not touch screen, and can only track one PID at a time. After I get used to the Autel, I'll sell that one.
I will wait till it goes back down to $330ish lol

More discussions here:

Anyone found an OBD2 phone app that will read transmission fluid temp?

Guide ATF Drain/Fill

2016.5 CX-5 Transmission fluid change questions

Transmission fluid change without filter replacement

Some OBDIi readers or scanners don’t display Mazda’s ATF temperature. Some display “fake” Mazda’s ATF temperature by using coolant temperature value.

Don’t think he uses any OBDII readers or scanners ⋯ :whistle:
Oh man thanks for the links. Does the Autel MaxiCOM MK808 read the Mazda ATF? Hopefully user theblooms will let us know.

Holy moly, that Autel is a steal! I just ordered one, thanks! I have a Foxwell now, and it's good, but it's not touch screen, and can only track one PID at a time. After I get used to the Autel, I'll sell that one.
Hey the blooms can you let us know if this can read Mazda ATF temperature since you bought one. Thanks

Oh man thanks for the links. Does the Autel MaxiCOM MK808 read the Mazda ATF? Hopefully user theblooms will let us know.

I believe Autel MaxiCOM MK808 can read ATF temp.
I use an older Autel Maxidiag Elite MD802 All Systems since 2016. It scans all systems including ABS, AT and live data, but no ATF temp, good enough for an home user. I've been thinking to get a Scan Gauge II, but I can do 2 vehicles ATF changes without it. Maybe later when I feel other use for it.

IMHO, and in my own case, finding a true level place is more important than ATF temp. My driveway is severely angled, garage floor is a bit less but still too much slanted.

Back