High Mileage CX-5s - report in

The high mileage trans fluid is a double edged sword. Once over 100k miles on the original trans fluid, pretty much all the additive packaging in the fluid is depleted. So the trans will begin to form varnish on parts like the valve body, hard parts, clutch plates, accumulator pistons, etc. Fluid will also lose ability to transfer heat properly and lubricate properly. Valves will start to stick and accumulator pistons will stick, etc. This can cause a bunch of problems within the trans.

If you change the fluid after 100k miles, the clutch material that is floating in the fluid is helping keep the clutch packs engaged, will be gone and you MIGHT get slippage if the clutch packs are really worn away. If you DON'T change the fluid, the trans will eventually die an early death due to the fluid being so badly deteriorated and it's inability to keep the valve body and hard parts clean. Stuck valve body parts will cause erratic trans behavior and can cause clutch packs to burn up from slippage due to not engaging the clutch packs with full line pressure.

So the moral of the story is to keep the fluid clean and service it every 60k or so, along with a filter change. Trans will live 200k+. If you don't change the fluid, the trans will most likely die an earlier death. If you change the fluid/filter after 100k miles, it might cause the clutches to slip IF the clutch packs are really worn away, and the clutch material in the trans fluid is helping to keep the clutch packs engaged while in gear.
That's why if you didn't change it before 75000 miles, you should just drain /refill only half. Half will give you new fluid but keep some grit in there to keep the gears catching. If changing before 75 k, you can double up on the changes over a few weeks to get it all out.

Last edited:
100.000 miles here in a little over two years since bought it, brand new. No issues other than the left mirror stopped folding and three windshields installed by now because, you know, rocks on the road. I still feel it like a new car.

100.000 miles here in a little over two years since bought it, brand new. No issues other than the left mirror stopped folding and three windshields installed by now because, you know, rocks on the road. I still feel it like a new car.
100K miles in 2 years? :oops: It took us about 10 years to reach that milestone on our 190K-mile 1998 Honda CR-V ⋯

100K miles in 2 years? :oops: It took us about 10 years to reach that milestone on our 190K-mile 1998 Honda CR-V ⋯
Yep. I read somewhere that the average American driver drives around 15.000 miles a year and I simply can't understand how. With my other Mazda I had roughly 30.000 a year.

Yep. I read somewhere that the average American driver drives around 15.000 miles a year and I simply can't understand how. With my other Mazda I had roughly 30.000 a year.
The average commute is about 40 miles round trip according to most estimates, about 10k miles per year on a 5 day work week. Another 5k for this and that. Seems about right for the average.

On a Sienna forum where I check in occasionally there are a few ride share guys reporting 80 - 100k miles per year with odometer photos. Sienna has always been a popular taxi / ride share vehicle, perhaps more so now that's it's offered as a hybrid-only vehicle starting in 2021 with 35-40 mpgs routinely reported.

As retired "OK boomer" folk ;) my wife and I put only about 6k miles/yr on the CX-5 and 10k/yr on the Sienna at this point. I don't think that's unusual for retirees, work-from-home folks, or non-working stay-at-home moms (or dads) without a daily commute. The Sienna hits 10k only because of an annual 2,500 mile round snow bird round trip. At this rate I may still be driving the CX-5 up to the point where I'll have to quit driving. :cry:

PS: That's one high mileage CD version with no reported oil consumption. Still no such reports for the CD engine in my call-for-reports thread.

The average commute is about 40 miles round trip according to most estimates, about 10k miles per year on a 5 day work week. Another 5k for this and that. Seems about right for the average.

On a Sienna forum where I check in occasionally there are a few ride share guys reporting 80 - 100k miles per year with odometer photos. Sienna has always been a popular taxi / ride share vehicle, perhaps more so now that's it's offered as a hybrid-only vehicle starting in 2021 with 35-40 mpgs routinely reported.

As retired "OK boomer" folk ;) my wife and I put only about 6k miles/yr on the CX-5 and 10k/yr on the Sienna at this point. I don't think that's unusual for retirees, work-from-home folks, or non-working stay-at-home moms (or dads) without a daily commute. The Sienna hits 10k only because of an annual 2,500 mile round snow bird round trip. At this rate I may still be driving the CX-5 up to the point where I'll have to quit driving. :cry:

PS: That's one high mileage CD version with no reported oil consumption. Still no such reports for the CD engine in my call-for-reports thread.
Yeah. Alot depends on work commute, more so than recereation. Most jobs the commute was about 10,000 -12,000 mile per year. Some jobs were about 20,000 miles per year. However, when in sales, my mileage easily topped over 30,000 per year. Plus telework/telework has dropped the commute mileage down for alot of folks. Even in a sales position , I dont understand how you can put 50,000 miles per year on a vehicle, unless alot of interstate travel.

I used to do 100 miles a day for 1.5 years in my Integra after college. That was 36K miles a year. Oil changes every month because I used to follow the 3K mile interval way back when.

My current commute is between 25-30 miles round trip depending on if I drive or cycle, and when I drive it's split between 2 different cars, so those cars barely get 3K to 5K miles per year. I usually put in about 3K-4K miles per year cycling.

Haven't been around these parts in awhile. Thought I would check in. 2014 CX-5 Touring. And yes it is due for a detail, super dusty right now.

IMG_20221123_011933_01.jpg

My ‘13 Sport has about 112k miles on it now. First “major” issue cropped up: AC stopped blowing cold air. I could hear the compressor clutch wasn’t engaging. I got a can of R-134a AC/Pro refrigerant at Walmart and sure enough the pressure was quite low. I recharged the system and the AC immediately started working. Don’t follow the “good” range on the AC/Pro gauge though. According to the CX-5 shop manual the low pressure psi should be about 14-20 psi at 60F ambient temperature. The “good” reading on the AC/Pro gauge is 25-40 psi.

I also got around to replacing my lift gate struts. I had the recall on the struts done back when it was first released and the struts started to suck after a few years. They’ve been really bad for the last year. Most online dealers are back ordered but I found one at a good price with them in stock. 10 minute fix and the lift gate is good as new.

One of my DDM Tuning HID lights went out. I installed the $35 set about 3 years ago and I really liked them. Rather than deal with shipping and getting an RMA for their lifetime warranty (required troubleshooting and I didn’t feel like paying $15 to ship $15 worth of parts back lol!), I bought the Sylvania H11 LED lights. They work ok. Not as bright as the HIDs but same even coverage. They were $85 after coupon and they’re worth it if they last 5 years for me.

Last edited:
I had a 2017 and put about 150,000 on it until I totaled it on black ice. I had a rear end failure at about 125,000 but fortunately had purchased an extended warranty.

That would be interesting info.

Has there been a report on this site of a leaking water pump on CX-5?

I'll probably change belts at 10 years or 100k miles... my tensioner still looks fine and isn't leaking... no sounds either... @ 75k miles on my '15.

Good thread here

‘14 2.5L AWD GT @ 301,778 miles (~485,664 km)

IMG_1206.jpeg

‘15 AWD @ 282k miles

IMG_1207.jpeg

Last edited:
108k miles on a 2017 CX5.

Issues:
Cold start misfires/reduced performance.
Water pump worn bearings, was making a loud noise and was close to failure.
Serpentine belt worn/cracked. Tensioner leaking fluid.

Fix:
Carbon cleaning. Runs like new.
Replaced water pump.
New belt and tensioner.

The transmission does shift rough into 5th and sometimes slips on 3rd, but that was the previous owner's fault for not replacing the ATF at all for 100k miles.

Latest posts

Back