2022 CX-5?

The latest speculation I have heard on those spy shots is that's a shared platform with Toyota and will ultimately become a CX-7 with a hybrid drivetrain and produced here in the US.

The CX-50 will almost certainly be manufactured in Japan for 2023 MY with the new turbo I6 mild hybrid engine and 8 speed trans.
Yes, I saw that too. That’s why I think the current CX-5 will soldier on for 2022. Not necessarily a bad thing…it’s still a good looking SUV.

Like most people, I really like the Kodo design Mazda has used so far except perhaps for the large wheel arches and lower body cladding on the CX-30 (Kona is no better!) and the large rear quarter panel (C pillar) on the 3 hatchback. As long as they don't hire a designer from Mitsubishi, we should be fine:ROFLMAO:

I'd like to see what zircon sand metallic looks like. Until now, I don't think I've ever seen a 2nd gen CX-5 in titanium flash mica, in person or in pictures.

Sounds like this is all provisional info that the original article's author got from their contact at a local dealership. That said, the tidbit about the reshaped seats is nice to hear. Some Gen 2 CX-5 owners had (or continue to have) seat comfort issues, so it's nice to see that this may have been addressed.

It has enough detail to maybe be accurate? But please don’t take away the turbo from North America!

It has enough detail to maybe be accurate? But please don’t take away the turbo from North America!
I would not be surprised if Mazda discontinues the CX-5 turbo, at least in the US. Or maybe keep the turbo but eliminate the Signature trim once an AWD version of CX-50 is available.

As with the CX-3 / CX-30, it does not appear there will be much difference in interior space or appearance in the CX-5 vs. CX-50. It made perfect sense that the CX-3 was discontinued in the US. The Canadian upper trim CX-3 with 148 HP bleeds into the lower trim CX-30 with 155 HP. Why both are still sold in Canada is something peculiar to that market which I do not understand.

Further, CX-30 is not touted as a "premium" vehicle as CX-50 evidently will be with the 6 cyl / 8 speed, initially in RWD only, suggesting something along the lines of a 260 HP vehicle in base configuration. A CX-5 Signature at $39,000 will bleed into the CX-50 trims once AWD is available, probably starting in at low $40,000's.

We'll see, but what Mazda is doing is peculiar--two models that are sized about the same, look about the same, where performance and features have trim overlap. From a marketing standpoint that's a bit of buyer cognitive dissonance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not be surprised if Mazda discontinues the CX-5 turbo, at least in the US. Or maybe keep the turbo but eliminate the Signature trim once an AWD version of CX-50 is available.

As with the CX-3 / CX-30, it does not appear there will be much difference in interior space or appearance in the CX-5 vs. CX-50. It made perfect sense that the CX-3 was discontinued in the US. The Canadian upper trim CX-3 with 148 HP bleeds into the lower trim CX-30 with 155 HP. Why both are still sold in Canada is something peculiar to that market which I do not understand.

Further, CX-30 is not touted as a "premium" vehicle as CX-50 evidently will be with the 6 cyl / 8 speed, initially in RWD only, suggesting something along the lines of a 260 HP vehicle in base configuration. A CX-5 Signature at $39,000 will bleed into the CX-50 trims once AWD is available, probably starting in at low $40,000's.

We'll see, but what Mazda is doing is peculiar--two models that are sized about the same, look about the same, where performance and features have trim overlap. From a marketing standpoint that's a bit of buyer cognitive dissonance.
I’m Canadian and the CX-3 still sells (about = 60% of CX-30 sales), so it’s worth it for them, though apparently not the Mazda6 which is gone.
The CX-5 will still be smaller and cheaper than the CX-50. I wonder if it will stick around for a couple of years before being phased out. Given that motor journalists love the turbo and feel like it transforms the car, it would be a shame to see it go. Maybe I’ll have a shot at a 2022 Signature before the 2023 CX-50 grabs the limelight.

The CX-5 will still be smaller and cheaper than the CX-50. I wonder if it will stick around for a cou aple of years before being phased out.
The CX-5 won't be much smaller, a few cf less interior space assuming all 5 extra inches in the CX-50 don't go into the engine bay. Regardless, the CX-50 will still be in the same 2-row compact class.

That said, it's hard to envision the CX-5 going away. The 2-row compact CUV is one of the biggest selling segments in the market, what people buy today instead of mid-sized sedans. As a sub-luxury automaker, I don't see how Mazda's only offering in this segment would be a "premium" V6 280 hp vehicle, and a RWD one to boot coming out of the gate.

Mazda sells more CX-5's in the US than all of their other models combined at a mid-range price in a high volume segment. How can they give that away? Mazda dealers won't be selling many vehicles without the CX-5 which also means less business for service departments as time goes by.

Mazda does some unique things, some strange things, but one divergence from the norm I would not expect is a conscious move to sharply shrink sales volume.

I’m Canadian and the CX-3 still sells (about = 60% of CX-30 sales), so it’s worth it for them, though apparently not the Mazda6 which is gone.
Like I said, I don't understand the Canadian market, but the question is begged to what degree CX-3 sales cannibalize lower trim CX-30 sales and to what extent CX-3 sales are concentrated in less profitable low trim lines. I see where a base CX-3 has a manual transmission; maybe that accounts for some if it.

When I bought my CX-5, a CX-3 and CX-30 were sitting side by side in the show room, both red. Frankly, looking at them as I waited, it left me scratching my head.

I’m back in the fold having just put a deposit down on a 2.5G AWD. Are there any revisions to the current model?

Like I said, I don't understand the Canadian market, but the question is begged to what degree CX-3 sales cannibalize lower trim CX-30 sales and to what extent CX-3 sales are concentrated in less profitable low trim lines. I see where a base CX-3 has a manual transmission; maybe that accounts for some if it.

When I bought my CX-5, a CX-3 and CX-30 were sitting side by side in the show room, both red. Frankly, looking at them as I waited, it left me scratching my head.

I know my dealership was sure the CX-3 would disappear as recently as my last oil change so I don't know for sure either.
The CX-3 is 5 inches shorter than the CX-30 which might reflect a "Canadian" preference for smaller cars.
For example, for many, many years, the Civic was Canada's best-selling Honda while the Accord was #1 in the USA.

The CX-3 is 5 inches shorter than the CX-30 which might reflect a "Canadian" preference for smaller cars.
And yet the CX-30 offers only about 2.5 cf more cargo space, the same front leg room, and only about 1/2" more rear legroom. These differences fall somewhere between negligible and and imperceptible. It goes to show what 5" can get you. And the styling is quite similar.

The CX-3 does weigh about 400 - 500 lbs. less which gets you 4 - 5 mpg better city gas mileage. Those mpgs might be a differentiator with more expensive Canadian gasoline. Do these differences justify two distinct models? That's hard to see, especially for a smaller auto maker that does not have many models to begin with.

CX-5 and CX-50 is a different story if the reports are to be believed. While the differences in interior dimensions and styling might be on par with the CX-3 and CX-30 differences, a 280 hp 6 cyl RWD base platform intended as a "premium" model, no doubt with gobs of standard equipment, puts it in a different class. They should have come up with a different name for the CX-50 to further highlight the difference.

CX-5 and CX-50 is a different story if the reports are to be believed. While the differences in interior dimensions and styling might be on par with the CX-3 and CX-30 differences, a 280 hp 6 cyl RWD base platform intended as a "premium" model, no doubt with gobs of standard equipment, puts it in a different class. They should have come up with a different name for the CX-50 to further highlight the difference.
We’ll have to see the final product but they’ve trademarked CX-10 to CX-90 so that seems to be the naming game plan. If the added “0“ denotes premium, the CX-30 is already an outlier. Nice enough vehicle but certainly not in the big leagues.

There is like 0% chance that the 6 cylinder is going to be naturally aspirated. If it was like 10yrs ago, maybe, but now, due to emissions and the fact the there isn't a lot of time left to sell ICE, they will put all the chips on the table. That is turbocharged and some sort of electrification, 48V mild hybrid and/or electric supercharger.

Also, there is 0% chance they will stop CX5 anytime soon. This is Mazda's baby that basically keep the company competitive. They will sell both CX5 and CX50 in the same time for couple years.

On another note, there's another 0% chance that the 2.5 turbo is being cut in America. Maybe if they want to go lower displacement due to emissions I can see them replacing the 2.5T with a 2.0T, however a turbocharged option will be in place for FWD architecture.

b) a larger CX 5/50 will be launched in 2022 as a 2023
Geeze. They already widened the Gen 2 from the Gen 1, if they make it any bigger, I hope they just make a new model and keep the CX-5.

I’m back in the fold having just put a deposit down on a 2.5G AWD. Are there any revisions to the current model?
Hey man, been a while. Forgot what you had before?

There is like 0% chance that the 6 cylinder is going to be naturally aspirated.
It would appear that this engine will not be turbocharged, at least not initially. The Skyactive-X concept is a novel sparkless compression ignition purportedly marrying the benefits of gas and diesel, producing a 20-30% improvement in fuel economy. Hopefully that works out better than the novel rotary concept. AWD, turbos, hybrids, EVs--that probably comes later in one model or another--CX-50, CX-90 and whatever they call the 6 successor, 60 I guess.

As for appearance, that camo CX-5/50 floating around is probably a refreshed CX-5. I would expect the CX-50 will look more like this--longer hood, coupe-like sloping rear roof line, lower ground clearance for driving dynamics as a street-only vehicle in keeping with the initial RWD release:

Geeze. They already widened the Gen 2 from the Gen 1, if they make it any bigger, I hope they just make a new model and keep the CX-5.
One of the biggest knocks we get on the sales side is that the CX5 really is too small for some of customers, esp with lots of the competition already offering larger body 5 seat CUVs. The front seats esp really need to be widened a bit

One of the biggest knocks we get on the sales side is that the CX5 really is too small for some of customers, esp with lots of the competition already offering larger body 5 seat CUVs. The front seats esp really need to be widened a bit
Well I'll agree that the front seats in the Gen 2's are mighty uncomfortable. But I like the idea that as a crossover its not too big.

Back