How To Acquire Non-US Spec Head Restraints for a US-spec CX-5

Message asap

I've sent you 2 PMs including when I first got the last batch of headrests in mid November but you never replied back. :/

I only have headrests for '16 Touring in Black & '13-15 GT in Sand left now. If interested, PM me your PayPal email & I'll send you an invoice.

I really hate both sides of rearview mirror image on CX-5 are blocked by the rear seat headrests. I went ahead purchased a pair of non-US spec, low-profile rear seat headrests at a Mazda dealer during the recent trip to Taipei. It cost me USD $96.52 for a pair. Once I got back and tried them on, I feel that the money was well spent! I'm very happy to have these low-profile headrests and now I can see a full view of the back window from rearview mirror! What a safety improvement to us!

2016%252520Mazda%252520CX-5%252520GT%252520-%252520Non-US%252520Rear%252520Seat%252520Headrests.jpg

2016%252520Mazda%252520CX-5%252520GT%252520-%252520Rearview%252520Non-US%252520Rear%252520Seat%252520Headrests.jpg

I really hate both sides of rearview mirror image on CX-5 are blocked by the rear seat headrests. I went ahead purchased a pair of non-US spec, low-profile rear seat headrests at a Mazda dealer during the recent trip to Taipei. It cost me USD $96.52 for a pair. Once I got back and tried them on, I feel that the money was well spent! I'm very happy to have these low-profile headrests and now I can see a full view of the back window from rearview mirror! What a safety improvement to us!

A steal at that price (compared to the earlier prices i saw). I didn't even know this was a thing today. Is there a place online to easily order these? Black leather GT version

A steal at that price (compared to the earlier prices i saw). I didn't even know this was a thing today. Is there a place online to easily order these? Black leather GT version
I'd mentioned earlier at post #391 in this thread. You can email japanparts.com providing part number and get the price quote for these non-US spec rear seat headrests. Last time I emailed them and the price quote was the same as I paid for at a Mazda dealer in Taipei, which is the list price for the headrest in Japan or Taiwan at about USD$50 a piece as the exchange rate varies. You do have to pay expensive shipping at $30~$50 for both which may take up to a month so make sure to ask shipping cost too. I was about to order a pair of headrests from japanparts.com but decided not to as I found out I had a trip coming up to Taipei.

The part numbers for non-US version rear seat headrests are:

K072-88-240 02 - 2016 Mazda CX-5 Non-US Spec Black Leather Rear Seat Headrest with Black Stitches
K073-88-240 02 - 2016 Mazda CX-5 Non-US Spec Parchment Leather Rear Seat Headrest with White Stitches
K070-88-240 02 - 2016 Mazda CX-5 Non-US Spec Black Cloth Rear Seat Headrest with Black Stitches

I suggest you contacting japanparts.com for the headrests as they're reputable source. If you notice many people getting paddle shifter parts from them too and that's how I found out I could get the Japanese headrests from them.

I'd mentioned earlier at post #391 in this thread. You can email japanparts.com providing part number and get the price quote for these non-US spec rear seat headrests. Last time I emailed them and the price quote was the same as I paid for at a Mazda dealer in Taipei, which is the list price for the headrest in Japan or Taiwan at about USD$50 a piece as the exchange rate varies. You do have to pay expensive shipping at $30~$50 for both which may take up to a month so make sure to ask shipping cost too. I was about to order a pair of headrests from japanparts.com but decided not to as I found out I had a trip coming up to Taipei.

The part numbers for non-US version rear seat headrests are:

K072-88-240 02 - 2016 Mazda CX-5 Non-US Spec Black Leather Rear Seat Headrest with Black Stitches
K073-88-240 02 - 2016 Mazda CX-5 Non-US Spec Parchment Leather Rear Seat Headrest with White Stitches
K070-88-240 02 - 2016 Mazda CX-5 Non-US Spec Black Cloth Rear Seat Headrest with Black Stitches

I suggest you contacting japanparts.com for the headrests as they're reputable source. If you notice many people getting paddle shifter parts from them too and that's how I found out I could get the Japanese headrests from them.

2 questions.

Where did you find this part number? I entered it and can't seem to find any info on it. Japanparts said they "I can get K072-88-240 02 for sure but can NOT get any information of the part. I’m sorry about it"

Do you know if that part number is each or for the pair of headrest? I got quoted 7000JPY+ which is about $63

2 questions.
Where did you find this part number? I entered it and can't seem to find any info on it. Japanparts said they "I can get K072-88-240 02 for sure but can NOT get any information of the part. Im sorry about it"
Do you know if that part number is each or for the pair of headrest? I got quoted 7000JPY+ which is about $63
I found these part numbers from a local Mazda dealer in Taipei and verified them from pictures of headrests in this thread. Of course I have a pair of 2016 black leather headrests in my hands right now which have exact part number, K072-88-240 02, on EACH package. When I made inquiry to Japanparts.com, they quoted me the same 7000 JPY ($61.8651 USD now, unfortunately Japanese Yen has gone up a lot but Taiwan New Dollar has been depreciating since then) for each headrest. The guy even put the item up for a pair (14000 JPY) with headrest description on their website temporarily so that I could select different shipping method and buy it.

Here was the part info from Japanparts.com website at time:

Parts Number 1 = K072 88 240 or K072 88 240 02
Parts details 1 = 2016 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring Black Leather Rear Outboard

When I asked for the shipping charge, they quoted me 6000 JPY for two headrests via EMS. But I didn't want fast and expensive shipping by air so when I inquired the slower and less expensive surface shipping, the guy put up the item on the website so that I could see every shipping method available.

There are so many parts for different cars from Japan so Japanparts.com is not going to list every part on their website. They list parts only in high demand. They're apparently having operation in Japan so they can get any parts they want if you give them a good description and part number. And that's why they answer your email in the night our time and give you the quote in Japanese Yen.

Anybody else notice this, or is it just me. 2016 CX-5 commercials.

Watch this one and note the rear headrests:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgNOQlaZXao

Now watch this one and note the rear headrests:
http://www.ispot.tv/ad/AZWR/2016-mazda-cx-5-the-proposal-driving-matters

Interesting, isn't it. Wonder if they got them from japanparts.com! (boom01)
The director for the second commercial must have noticed the rear seat headrests blocking the rear window and hence the beautiful scenery when he was making the front shot, and demanded non-US spec low-profile headrests. But really, they didn't need a pair from Japanparts.com, but simply could use the office internal mailing system getting a pair directly from Mazda of Japan!

not only that, but check out the exhaust tips.
Yeah, good catch! The exhaust tips in second commercial look bigger and thicker than ours. Added the different black-out on windshield for sensors and different rearview mirror from our GT, now I suspect the whole commercial was actually made in Europe with a Euro CX-5!

I should have ordered when deals were good... kinda tired of removing the rear headrests hauling stuff.

Are the rears with red stitching still made?

not only that, but check out the exhaust tips.

Don't get me started on that one... :)

I'm usually not a modder on the performance stuff but was looking at the Corksport stuff last week.

I'd be concerned about increased sound... I'd probably be fine with it... the wife.. not so sure

Mazda-cx5-exhaust.png

A claimed 7HP gain... not sure that is even noticeable. After putting hitch on and removing muffler this would be a super simple swap if I did it.

I should have ordered when deals were good... kinda tired of removing the rear headrests hauling stuff.
Are the rears with red stitching still made?
Those non-US spec headrests with red stitches for 2015 were still available when I visited the Mazda dealer in Taipei but required special order from Japan. I urge you to get a pair through Japanparts.com and you won't regret it by having these headrests as I like these so much even though I don't fold the rear seats. They are cheaper than before even with a litter higher Japanese Yen exchange rate right now and expensive shipping. Email them with the following part number and description assuming you have black interior:

KD51-88-240 02 - 2015 Mazda CX-5 GT Non-US Spec Black Leather Rear Seat Outboard Headrest with Red Stitches

Japanparts.com should reply you very soon and verity the part number, availability and price. In fact, the older version could be less than 7000 JPY each as this Japanese local online store sells it for only ¥3930 JPY. There is KD51-88-240A 02 headrest available on the list in that Japanese local online store but I don't know the difference and you should ask Japanparts.com as well. But the KD51-88-240 02 should be the correct headrest for you as you can see the same part number on pictures from earlier posts.

Like you , I'm usually not a modder. But these headrests are Japanese CX-5 originals. And I'm also jealous to see those bigger OEM exhaust tips in the second commercial.

yrwei52: Thanks for part numbers!!!! :) Actively pursuing now.... and will be reaching out to Japanparts.

Back