How To Acquire Non-US Spec Head Restraints for a US-spec CX-5

I have to say - after 3 days of driving/backing up with these Euro-spec rear headrests - the difference is DRAMATIC! Having come from an Isuzu Vehicross that was my DD for 6 years, I had gotten used to NOT having a functional rearview mirror, so it's taken me a few days to get USED to having one again. It's quite a refreshing change to be able to use the rearview mirror and/or actually look behind through the back window when backing up. I have no complaints with the backup camera on my CX-5, but there is NOTHING like my own eyes when it comes to the "confidence factor" backing up...

I'm glad you are enjoying them. (cabpatch)

Delayed thanks to Fendyman for the making these available and for the prompt shipping. The difference in rear visibility is definitely noticeable with the low profile headrests.

I have to say - after 3 days of driving/backing up with these Euro-spec rear headrests - the difference is DRAMATIC!
These are not Euro-spec. Instead they are worldwide standard rear headrests for CX-5 other than North American region.

do you have any black cloth ones for the 2016 Touring? Just bought my CX5 and the huge rear headrests are blocking my rear view.

What are you guys doing with the original US spec headrests after replacing them with the new ones? I have thrown them in my closet. Wondering whether it can be sold somewhere.

What are you guys doing with the original US spec headrests after replacing them with the new ones? I have thrown them in my closet. Wondering whether it can be sold somewhere.

Just keep them till you sell the car & put them back on... & sell JDM ones. :D

Delayed thanks to Fendyman for the making these available and for the prompt shipping. The difference in rear visibility is definitely noticeable with the low profile headrests.

You're welcome. Enjoy... (drive)

I still have some leftover JDM rear headrests:
1 set of each '16 GT/leather in Black & Parchment, a couple set of '16 Touring/premium cloth in Black, a set of '13-15 GT/leather in Sand, & a set of '13-15 Sport/cloth in Sand (this set would be discounted & look just fine in Touring). They would make great X'mas present. ;)

No more '13-15 GT/leather in Black (w/ red stitching) nor '13-15 Touring/premium cloth in Black. :(

I probably won't be getting anymore these JDM rear headrests because of my busy schedule & people flaked after they ordered... maybe I should have taken some deposits $... but I didn't. (unamused)

These are mazda 3 sport head rests. Frankly, I like them better than the euro specs because they don't go down as far which can be uncomfortable when the headrest are against your shoulder blades. Just giving others another option..

Is there a gap from the bottom of the headrest and the seat when the headrest is at the lowest setting? How much did it cost?

No gap. I got it from ebay for 70 a piece.
vncnpv.jpg
[/IMG]

Why don't you just take them off and stick them under the front seats until you have rear passengers?

You know, I ended up leaving the JDMs up and it's easier to just push them down to lower the seats... not as awkward as removing headrests (shouldn't have to do that). I know it seems like a lot of money for that convenience but if you do it often your likely to just leave the stock headrests off.

You know, I ended up leaving the JDMs up and it's easier to just push them down to lower the seats... not as awkward as removing headrests (shouldn't have to do that). I know it seems like a lot of money for that convenience but if you do it often your likely to just leave the stock headrests off.

100% agree. Bought a pair from Fendyman, should arrive early this week. I don't want to have to remove them and stick them under the seats, especially with stuff that can end up on the floorboards, I don't want that on the headrests.

100% agree. Bought a pair from Fendyman, should arrive early this week. I don't want to have to remove them and stick them under the seats, especially with stuff that can end up on the floorboards, I don't want that on the headrests.

Just got them in yesterday. Fit was a bit tight to adjust them up and down, but nothing a little WD40 Dry Lube couldn't fix. Extremely happy with them, I can fold the seats up and down without taking the headrests out! I also got the Soft Cargo Liner and installed that too. Quite pleased with the results.

Thanks Fendyman!

Maybe I missed this in the thread but do the Mazda 6 or 3 rear headrests fit the CX-5? They look the same as the other ones shown in this thread

Maybe I missed this in the thread but do the Mazda 6 or 3 rear headrests fit the CX-5? They look the same as the other ones shown in this thread
Low-profile rear headrest on Mazda6 doesn't fit CX-5. But CX-3's and Mazda3's do although they have different shape from CX-5 non-US spec headrest.

Yeah, the black leather seats on '16 has the red stitching on the seats but black stitching on the headrests. Here are some pictures I just took for a 2106 CX-5 SkyActiv-D 2.2L in Taipei:

CX-S kyActiv-D AWD:
Mazda%252520CX-5%252520SkyActiv%252520D%252520Taipei_1002%252520-%252520Rear.jpg

Non-US spec rear black leather headrests with black stitches:
Mazda%252520CX-5%252520SkyActiv%252520D%252520Taipei_15%252520-%252520Rear%252520Seat%252520Headrests.jpg

Mazda%252520CX-5%252520SkyActiv%252520D%252520Taipei_1505%252520-%252520Rear%252520Seat%252520Headrests.jpg

Mazda%252520CX-5%252520SkyActiv%252520D%252520Taipei_1504%252520-%252520Rear%252520Seat%252520Headrests.jpg

Pic of the CX-3 rear headrests:
ximm
Someone just posted a new thread claiming new CX-3 has low-profile rear seat headrests and they're direct fit to CX-5. So eventually we can order these from Mazda dealers in the US.

These are mazda 3 sport head rests. Frankly, I like them better than the euro specs because they don't go down as far which can be uncomfortable when the headrest are against your shoulder blades. Just giving others another option..
11ka920.jpg[
No gap. I got it from ebay for 70 a piece.
vncnpv.jpg

Update: I still have a set of '13-15 GT/leather in Sand, a set of '16 GT/leather in Parchment & a couple set of '16 Touring in Black JDM rear headrests left. PM me if you're interested.

I'm not planning to get anymore at this moment due to my busy schedule, but maybe later on when things get a bit less crazy w/ my schedule.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back