How To Acquire Non-US Spec Head Restraints for a US-spec CX-5

I personally have no opinion it, but just mention it is since they were disagreement on why the US model might not have the same style as the rest.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/HeadRest/update/202FinalRule.html#doc6

Agency response: As discussed above, NHTSA has concluded that any voluntarily installed rear head restraints must meet the height requirements proposed in the NPRM. Specifically, the optional rear head restraints must reach a minimum height of not less than 750 mm above the H-point.

In the NPRM, we indicated that the 750 mm minimum head restraint height would reach above the head center of gravity of approximately 93 percent of all adults. We note that with respect to the rear seat head restraint target population, the 750 mm height would sufficiently protect an even higher percentage of rear seat passengers because larger occupants typically sit in front seats.

Some manufacturers stated that a taller rear head restraint might interfere with seat mechanisms designed to provide access to and from third row seats. Because we have decided not to require rear head restraints, a manufacturer concerned with functionality of these mechanisms need not install a head restraint in the affected seats. Additionally, as will be discussed in sections IX.b. and c., the manufacturers will be allowed to install removable rear outboard head restraints or rear outboard head restraints with "non-use positions."

Several commenters discussed the possible effects of the proposed head restraint height increases on vehicle utility with respect to seat folding and cargo capacity. The Alliance, DaimlerChrysler, Honda and GM commented that the rear head restraint heights proposed in the NPRM could impede seat folding, thus limiting cargo capacity, or otherwise limit interior configuration possibilities.

Since rear outboard head restraints will not be mandatory, vehicle manufacturers need not equip their rear seats with head restraints. Further, as will be discussed in section IX, if the manufacturers provide rear outboard head restraints, they will be allowed to make them removable and to design them so that they can be moved into "non-use positions." As a result, manufacturers will have ample design flexibility to address the cargo carrying needs of their customers.

It seems like this would have allowed the European version, under the "non use" position, but that changed in 2010 because the government was concerned that someone would fail to put the headrest in the "use position". The reason that the mazda 6/cx-3 have different styles might have to do with the differences in the seats. Read below for the 2010 update.

https://www.federalregister.gov/art...vehicle-safety-standards-head-restraints#h-16

Last edited:
Everyone else - anyone think getting the black leather headrests and putting them on seats with the parchment leather would look good? Anyone got pictures? [/QUOTE said:
Have you considered the safety issues you create by using black instead of parchment? People could die. On the other hand, my first 5 cars had no headrests and my first 15 cars had none in the rear. I think if one of my passengers had died I would have remembered, so you may be OK.

What do I know? When I was born my mother brought me home from hospital in her arms, and later, my car seat had it's own little steering wheel with no air bag. Perhaps I am dead.

I would have to agree with lilbear on this. Swapping out a passive safety item (US reg.) for another (foreign) might come back to bite you in the butt if something goes wrong. Yes, the import headrest will do the same job as the US one, but only if it is extended to the same height of the US one. Now a rear passenger's head is blocking the view, but whether or not they take the time to adjust the headrest to proper height is debatable.

I look at it as moving a seat. I wish I could get another 2 inches back away from the steering wheel. I could make brackets that would be strong enough to hold the seat during normal operations, but in case of an accident and I am injured, is it because the geometry of the seatbelt was wrong, or because I was too far back for the side airbag to properly protect me? Granted, this is an extreme example because there is no such bracket in production anywhere in the world, but the same could be said for replacing the front seats with a Recaro or even swapping them out with a CX-9.

That being said, if I had the extra money and they were available, I would get a set and install them. We rarely carry passengers in the rear, so I would be willing to roll the dice on the few times we did. For those who might get all huffy about me taking chances with other people's lives, I am just being honest that I would probably not remember to tell said passengers to raise the headrests up after not having any for the last three months. I can't say that they might even do it themselves because the lower height is uncomfortable.

"For off-road use only" or "Not for use on CA vehicles" never stopped me before if I thought I could gain something from the mod. I would also make sure to wrap the stock ones up and pass them along to the new owner when the time comes.

I consider using the lower profile headrests to be a risk reducing trade off. More risk for rear passengers if not properly adjusted for the small minority of trips I make with passengers in the back seat TALL ENOUGH to need the restraints raised, vs. the risk of inferior rearward visibility every time I drive my vehicle. I've made my choice.

Hello Fendyman, I tried to PM you, but I don't see the message in my sent box (same issue as someone else described)...

Me too - guess I'll go the Aussie route. My guess is that Mssr. Fendyman may have decided to no longer be in the headrest bidness, mayhaps due to being co-named in potential litigation...

Me too - guess I'll go the Aussie route. My guess is that Mssr. Fendyman may have decided to no longer be in the headrest bidness, mayhaps due to being co-named in potential litigation...

My apology for not replying... I just got back from Asia 2 days ago & still trying to adjust time change. I didn't really have internet access in Asia. Sending PM now.

Also, I'd like to clarify that I'm NOT in headrest business... I'm doing this just as favor for fellow members here since I have access to get them.

Bad news: Mazda of Japan seems to be in backorder w/ the production of these headrests. I don't know the actual reason, but may be related to bad stock market throughout Asia. :(

Good news: I can still order them & I'll be heading back there in 2 weeks or so.

For those who contacted & confirm w/ me already... I already placed those orders. My friend will either ship them to me or I will bring them back myself when I go back there. Please be patient... (rei)

It feels like Christmas today... (nana)
74988A37-0724-4313-8554-61C3ACAF129D_zpsuytg5oii.jpg

Well... they were backordered for about 3 months. :(

I guess better late than never show up. ;)

For those who ordered & paid... headrests are shipped! (dance)

I still have a few sets left. PM me if you're interested. ;)

Mine will be coming in to-DAY, thanks to Mssr. Fendyman - can't WAIT to shelve those SHOEBOX-SIZED US spec rear headrests! Is this guy GREAT or what?!

Another shout-out for Fendyman - got 'em today, and WHAT a difference! Look like they're a-POSED to look!

Mine will be coming in to-DAY, thanks to Mssr. Fendyman - can't WAIT to shelve those SHOEBOX-SIZED US spec rear headrests! Is this guy GREAT or what?!

Another shout-out for Fendyman - got 'em today, and WHAT a difference! Look like they're a-POSED to look!

Enjoy... (drive)

I have a couple people who ordered & changed their mind/didn't respond to PM/email, so I have a few extra sets available left... but '13-15 GT/leather black (w/ red stitching) are sold out. :( PM me if anyone is interested.

P.S. I have a set of '13-15 Sport/cloth JDM rear headrests in Sand from my 1st batch... I'll let this set go w/ DISCOUNT. ;) Even though this set is Sport model, but they'd look just fine in Touring model... same cloth material but the difference is there's no sand stitching. Here's the pic:
5740F8BB-4BAB-449F-ADC8-9F89735C767D_zps32b73clp.jpg

These are mazda 3 sport head rests. Frankly, I like them better than the euro specs because they don't go down as far which can be uncomfortable when the headrest are against your shoulder blades. Just giving others another option..
tinypic.com
View attachment 212540
11ka920.jpg[

Last edited:
These are mazda 3 sport head rests. Frankly, I like them better than the euro specs because they don't go down as far which can be uncomfortable when the headrest are against your shoulder blades. Just giving others another option.

FYI: headrests need to be adjusted to height of your head to provide protection. (rolleyes)

FYI: headrests need to be adjusted to height of your head to provide protection. (rolleyes)

The mazda3 headrest do have the same amount of travel if one needs to adjust accordingly; however that would defeat the purpose of the this thread.(uhm)

Last edited:
I have to say - after 3 days of driving/backing up with these Euro-spec rear headrests - the difference is DRAMATIC! Having come from an Isuzu Vehicross that was my DD for 6 years, I had gotten used to NOT having a functional rearview mirror, so it's taken me a few days to get USED to having one again. It's quite a refreshing change to be able to use the rearview mirror and/or actually look behind through the back window when backing up. I have no complaints with the backup camera on my CX-5, but there is NOTHING like my own eyes when it comes to the "confidence factor" backing up...

The mazda3 headrest do have the same amount of travel if one needs to adjust accordingly; however that would defeat the purpose of the this thread.(uhm)

I think you are missing my point...

You said:
These are mazda 3 sport head rests. Frankly, I like them better than the euro specs because they don't go down as far which can be uncomfortable when the headrest are against your shoulder blades. Just giving others another option...

Mazda3 headrest is a good option. It's height adjustable & SHOULD also be adjusted to the height of rear passenger. The Euro-spec/JDM headrest is uncomfortable (when lowered) against your shoulder blades because it SHOULD to be adjusted to the right height as well. I actually like it THIS way so the passenger would notice that something needs to be adjusted. The purpose of this thread is to be able to lower the headrests when there's NO rear passenger & NOT being used. There are some owners who just REMOVED the rear headrest because they don't have any rear passenger at all which is fine.

Back