How To Acquire Non-US Spec Head Restraints for a US-spec CX-5

Will do!

Maybe a "first world" problem but tired of taking them out every weekend when I put the back seats down. :)

2 questions.

Where did you find this part number? I entered it and can't seem to find any info on it. Japanparts said they "I can get K072-88-240 02 for sure but can NOT get any information of the part. Im sorry about it"

Do you know if that part number is each or for the pair of headrest? I got quoted 7000JPY+ which is about $63

I'm in the same situation. I inquired about part number

K073-88-240 02 - 2016 Mazda CX-5 Non-US Spec Parchment Leather Rear Seat Headrest with White Stitches

and received the same reply(No Info). I was quoted 8700 jpy for shipping EMS. A total of $199.81 USD. Not to bad for 2 leather headrests. I have told them I would like to order 2 this morning and am waiting on a response on how to finalize the order.

I'm a little curious if japanparts would do a group buy price for these since so many seem interested. Unfortunately I am heading out of town on a couple hours, so I won't get time to talk to them this week about it. If anyone decides to ask them about it, let me know.

BTW is it a lot easier to fold down the back seats now without removing the headrest? Or do u still need to?

Last edited:
I'm in the same situation. I inquired about part number

K073-88-240 02 - 2016 Mazda CX-5 Non-US Spec Parchment Leather Rear Seat Headrest with White Stitches

and received the same reply(No Info). I was quoted 8700 jpy for shipping EMS. A total of $199.81 USD. Not to bad for 2 leather headrests. I have told them I would like to order 2 this morning and am waiting on a response on how to finalize the order.
Glad you can get your 2016 JDM parchment headrests too. Japanparts.com quoted me 6000 JPY for two headrests via EMS to Texas. And after I asked them further for cheaper and slower shipping, the guy put the headrests on its website so that I could view different shipping methods and purchase them. As I recall the cheapest shipping was via ground which would take 30+ days and cost about 3500 JPY. I'd not use EMS as it's shipped by air unless you need the headrests within a week.

I'm a little curious if japanparts would do a group buy price for these since so many seem interested. Unfortunately I am heading out of town on a couple hours, so I won't get time to talk to them this week about it. If anyone decides to ask them about it, let me know.

BTW is it a lot easier to fold down the back seats now without removing the headrest? Or do u still need to?
If you have JDM low-profile headrests, you no longer need to remove the headrest while folding down your back seat.

Yeah, it'd be nice if Japanparts.com could do a group buy. May be one of you two should email Japanparts.com and ask about it.

Well apparently the parchment headrests don't exist as part number K073-88-240 02 according to the individual I was corresponding with. This is the response I received yesterday evening.

"Thank you so much for your reply and sorry! I thought the part number was K072-88-240 02.
The part number K073-88-240 02 that you’ve told me does NOT exist here in Japan so I can NOT get it."

At least it seems like anyone needing the black leather can still get them.
These were just a luxury item so I'll keep looking occasionally. Maybe try Europe.

Glad you can get your 2016 JDM parchment headrests too. Japanparts.com quoted me 6000 JPY for two headrests via EMS to Texas. And after I asked them further for cheaper and slower shipping, the guy put the headrests on its website so that I could view different shipping methods and purchase them. As I recall the cheapest shipping was via ground which would take 30+ days and cost about 3500 JPY. I'd not use EMS as it's shipped by air unless you need the headrests within a week.

The ones I am looking for are 7000JPY/each. I've asked Japanparts about alternate shipping as well. I'm fine with a month out... I've ordered enough things from China via eBay that take similar times.

Well apparently the parchment headrests don't exist as part number K073-88-240 02 according to the individual I was corresponding with. This is the response I received yesterday evening.

"Thank you so much for your reply and sorry! I thought the part number was K072-88-240 02.
The part number K073-88-240 02 that youve told me does NOT exist here in Japan so I can NOT get it."

At least it seems like anyone needing the black leather can still get them.
These were just a luxury item so I'll keep looking occasionally. Maybe try Europe.
Don't give up on it yet. If you look at post #315 in this thread, you'll see Fendyman brought back 2016 Mazda CX-5 JDM parchment leather rear seat headrest with part number K073-88-240 02 clearly shown on the package. The package and part label of my black one getting from Taipei looks exactly the same as the picture shown. May be you should attach the picture and try it again with Japanparts.com. You should also ask them to search the headrest with the description only. I do believe your parchment headrest does exist in Japan as the part is still so new. If you can't get these parchment headrests from Japan, I doubt you can get them from Europe or Australia.

I feel like Christmas in August today... (nana)(band)

20ED2090-8F9A-4C70-8AC8-A48BFB33749F_zpsf0ids502.jpg

96531E43-573D-461B-82D6-6DAB2F67DB4E_zps73qsrotq.jpg

B132A464-133F-419D-9D45-24069780B0A3_zpssq0isba3.jpg

The ones I am looking for are 7000JPY/each. I've asked Japanparts about alternate shipping as well. I'm fine with a month out... I've ordered enough things from China via eBay that take similar times.
Yeah for these headrests I wouldn't pay expensive air shipping for them. I got lucky I had a chance to be in Taiwan and the exchange rate was the best for me at time too. Besides, even though Japanparts.com is getting these JDM parts for wholesale price in Japan which is at least 20% off the list, but apparently they also have added some markups on top of the list price.

Just ordered 2 black leather JDM rear headrest from Japan Parts. Came out to $171.90 with fully insured shipping.

Mazda: HEADREST K072-88-240 02
7,000 JPY 2 14,000 JPY

Subtotal
14,000 JPY

Shipping and handling
5,050 JPY

Total
19,050 JPY

Payment
19,050 JPY

From amount
$171.90 USD

To amount
19,050 JPY

Exchange rate:
1 USD = 110.823 JPY

Don't give up on it yet. If you look at post #315 in this thread, you'll see Fendyman brought back 2016 Mazda CX-5 JDM parchment leather rear seat headrest with part number K073-88-240 02 clearly shown on the package. The package and part label of my black one getting from Taipei looks exactly the same as the picture shown. May be you should attach the picture and try it again with Japanparts.com. You should also ask them to search the headrest with the description only. I do believe your parchment headrest does exist in Japan as the part is still so new. If you can't get these parchment headrests from Japan, I doubt you can get them from Europe or Australia.

Well, I tried sending a request with the attached image of the 2016 leather parchment headrest and that they search by description only last week and got the following reply.

"Thank you so much for your reply and K073-88-240 39 exist here in Japan but K073-88-240 02 does NOT exist here in Japan so I can NOT get it."

I found this site with the new part number, https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.monotaro.com/g/01369149/&prev=search but sadly no image.

Looks like the markup is 2300 jpy at least from japanparts.com if this is the OEM headrest in question. That part number was one of 4 I found on the same site http://www.monotaro.com/g/01369149/ where the black headrest product numbers are included but there are no color descriptions on any of the items when using google translate.

Until I can find a way to verify that the "39" at the end guarantees me that the item is what I am trying to purchase I cant drop the nearly $200.00 on the purchase. I should probably put that 200 toward an opti-coat or cquartz finish anyway. I appreciate the assistance from the contributors of the thread. I haven't given up yet, but I think I will hold off and come back to it in the future.

It may have been mentioned somewhere in this thread, which is now over 30 pages long, but can't we just put a headrest from a different model in? I feel like the last time I was at the shop I noticed the 6 had headrests like the ones we are talking about here, and looking at the website for the CX-3 they look like the Japan version.
Here is a pic from from the autoblog review
2016-mazda-cx-3-first-drive

Just looking around on the other models on the MazdaUSA site, the 3 and 6 look like what we want.

Just ordered 2 black leather JDM rear headrest from Japan Parts. Came out to $171.90 with fully insured shipping.

Mazda: HEADREST K072-88-240 02
7,000 JPY X 2
14,000 JPY
Subtotal 14,000 JPY
Shipping and handling5,050 JPY
Total19,050 JPY
Payment19,050 JPY
From amount $171.90 USD
To amount 19,050 JPY
Exchange rate: 1 USD = 110.823 JPY

[/td]
Japanese Yen has been going up a lot recently. I had around $1 USD = 120+ JPY.

Glad you've got what you want from Japanparts.com. Are 5,050 JPY the cheapest shipping method they offered to you? What is the estimated arrival time? Please keep us posted.

Last edited:
Japanese Yuan has been going up a lot recently. I had around $1 USD = 120+ JPY.

Glad you've got what you want from Japanparts.com. Are 5,050 JPY the cheapest shipping method they offered to you? What is the estimated arrival time? Please keep us posted.

This is all the shipping options and prices for 2 of them

N7mKABh.png

This is all the shipping options and prices for 2 of them
OK, that Parcel SEA/Japan POST for 3,250 JPY ($28.60 USD) is what I remembered for lowest shipping. I guess extra 1-3 months of shipping time scared you off. :) But you should be able to enjoy these JDM headrests a lot earlier with EMS by Priority AIR/Japan POST shipping.

It may have been mentioned somewhere in this thread, which is now over 30 pages long, but can't we just put a headrest from a different model in? I feel like the last time I was at the shop I noticed the 6 had headrests like the ones we are talking about here, and looking at the website for the CX-3 they look like the Japan version.
Here is a pic from from the autoblog review
2016-mazda-cx-3-first-drive

Just looking around on the other models on the MazdaUSA site, the 3 and 6 look like what we want.
These have been discussed before in this thread. Rear headrests from Mazda6's don't fit as two posts are too wide. Some of Mazda3's will fit but there are some gaps and they look different in shape. The non-CX-5 rear headrests with the best fit to CX-5 are from new CX-3's. But they're longer and lower in shape which make me uncomfortable while sitting when I tried at Mazda dealer. And when I inquired about the price from parts department, they couldn't get any information at this time which means they're not available yet.

OK, that Parcel SEA/Japan POST for 3,250 JPY ($28.60 USD) is what I remembered for lowest shipping. I guess extra 1-3 months of shipping time scared you off. :) But you should be able to enjoy these JDM headrests a lot earlier with EMS by Priority AIR/Japan POST shipping.

Yup. I saw the +1-3 months and decided to spend the extra $14 on faster shipping and it being fully insured.

Well, I tried sending a request with the attached image of the 2016 leather parchment headrest and that they search by description only last week and got the following reply.
"Thank you so much for your reply and K073-88-240 39 exist here in Japan but K073-88-240 02 does NOT exist here in Japan so I can NOT get it."
I found this site with the new part number, https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.monotaro.com/g/01369149/&prev=search but sadly no image.
Looks like the markup is 2300 jpy at least from japanparts.com if this is the OEM headrest in question. That part number was one of 4 I found on the same site http://www.monotaro.com/g/01369149/ where the black headrest product numbers are included but there are no color descriptions on any of the items when using google translate.
Until I can find a way to verify that the "39" at the end guarantees me that the item is what I am trying to purchase I cant drop the nearly $200.00 on the purchase. I should probably put that 200 toward an opti-coat or cquartz finish anyway. I appreciate the assistance from the contributors of the thread. I haven't given up yet, but I think I will hold off and come back to it in the future.
This K073-88-240 39 actually should be the correct part number for your parchment leather rear seat headrests. As I just recalled from this previous post the last two digits stand for color, "02" is for black, "34" is for sand, and "39" should be for parchment. Unfortunately the last two digits of part number for parchment leather headrest got blocked in Fendyman's picture. You can PM him and see if he'll respond. I didn't verity the part number for parchment leather headrest as that was not what I wanted. Sorry for the confusion. I can email the dealer in Taipei and see if they can verify the part number for parchment leather headrest.

I checked the same Japanese online store and their prices are much better. But Japanparts.com and the Mazda dealer in Taipei all are selling these parts at list price sometimes even with some markup. Their cost has to be at wholesale level and that's how they make money. Of course just like here, some local online stores are willing to sell less for less profit. If you have connection in Japan, or if that Japanese online auto parts store is accepting foreign orders, that'd be the best way to get JDM headrests with good prices.

Mazda
(K0) rest, head
Order CodePart numberselling price
(Tax not included)
21089407K07088240 02 4,070
21089416K07088240 34 4,070
21089425K07288240 02 4,700
21089434K07388240 39 4,700

This K073-88-240 39 actually should be the correct part number for your parchment leather rear seat headrests. As I just recalled from this previous post the last two digits stand for color, "02" is for black, "34" is for sand, and "39" should be for parchment. Unfortunately the last two digits of part number for parchment leather headrest got blocked in Fendyman's picture. You can PM him and see if he'll respond. I didn't verity the part number for parchment leather headrest as that was not what I wanted. Sorry for the confusion. I can email the dealer in Taipei and see if they can verify the part number for parchment leather headrest.

I checked the same Japanese online store and their prices are much better. But Japanparts.com and the Mazda dealer in Taipei all are selling these parts at list price sometimes even with some markup. Their cost has to be at wholesale level and that's how they make money. Of course just like here, some local online stores are willing to sell less for less profit. If you have connection in Japan, or if that Japanese online auto parts store is accepting foreign orders, that'd be the best way to get JDM headrests with good prices.

Mazda
(K0) rest, head
Order CodePart numberselling price
(Tax not included)
21089407K07088240 02 4,070
21089416K07088240 34 4,070
21089425K07288240 02 4,700
21089434K07388240 39 4,700

I made the purchase this morning. Same price as the previous post from Scythe024. I also went with the EMS shipping. I paid $172.08 USD as the exchange rate had fluctuated a little bit.

I went with the same deductive reasoning. Two "02" = 1 Black/Clothe and 1 Black/Leather, 1 "34" = Sand, 1 "39" = Parchment.

The headrest description provided by Japanparts is as follows "Mazda: HEADREST PURE WHITE".

Worst case scenario is I have to try and eBay a random Mazda part and wait to get my money back. I am fairly certain it is the correct part though. I'll post back with pics when available in a few weeks.

I made the purchase this morning. Same price as the previous post from Scythe024. I also went with the EMS shipping. I paid $172.08 USD as the exchange rate had fluctuated a little bit.

I went with the same deductive reasoning. Two "02" = 1 Black/Clothe and 1 Black/Leather, 1 "34" = Sand, 1 "39" = Parchment.

The headrest description provided by Japanparts is as follows "Mazda: HEADREST PURE WHITE".

Worst case scenario is I have to try and eBay a random Mazda part and wait to get my money back. I am fairly certain it is the correct part though. I'll post back with pics when available in a few weeks.
Ha, I just sent an email to Mazda dealer in Taipei and don't expect her to reply until a couple of days later due to different time zone. But I'm pretty sure you have the right headrests and you're not going to get rid of them on eBay! The Japanese Yen keeps going up for sure nowadays. I'm glad both you and Scythe024 are getting these JDM headrests with decent price. Both of you will definitely enjoy them like I do. Yeah please keep us posted with pictures and whole part number so that there is no confusion for next person who wants a parchment pair!

Back