How To Acquire Non-US Spec Head Restraints for a US-spec CX-5

The Japanese Yen keeps going up for sure nowadays.

The Yen is getting cheaper (vs. $USD), not more expensive.

Of course no one can predict the future but that's been the strong trend over the last few years. In 2011 one $USD would only buy 76 Yen - now 1 $USD will buy almost 114 Yen. That's a huge difference!

USD%2Bvs%2BJPY%2B-%2B20160316.jpg

You can prove anything you want by taking things out of context. I know enough about financial trends to know that a 3-4 month blip does not make a trend.

The four year trend is that, today, a person can by 50% more Yen for the same amount of USD. The blip you show in your 6-month graph is from 120-114 yen/USD, a decline of only 5% or less.

I made the purchase this morning. Same price as the previous post from Scythe024. I also went with the EMS shipping. I paid $172.08 USD as the exchange rate had fluctuated a little bit.
I went with the same deductive reasoning. Two "02" = 1 Black/Clothe and 1 Black/Leather, 1 "34" = Sand, 1 "39" = Parchment.
The headrest description provided by Japanparts is as follows "Mazda: HEADREST PURE WHITE".
Worst case scenario is I have to try and eBay a random Mazda part and wait to get my money back. I am fairly certain it is the correct part though. I'll post back with pics when available in a few weeks.
Ha, I just sent an email to Mazda dealer in Taipei and don't expect her to reply until a couple of days later due to different time zone. But I'm pretty sure you have the right headrests and you're not going to get rid of them on eBay! The Japanese Yen keeps going up for sure nowadays. I'm glad both you and Scythe024 are getting these JDM headrests with decent price. Both of you will definitely enjoy them like I do. Yeah please keep us posted with pictures and whole part number so that there is no confusion for next person who wants a parchment pair!
Got email back from the parts manager of Mazda dealer in Taipei. She said the part number, K073-88-240 39, is legit but they don't stock it as the white/parchment interior is not available in Taiwan. She can special order it from Mazda in Japan but this parchment headrest is currently out of stock there in Japan too! So don't be surprised if your headrests are delayed. Just for your information, the price is $1,697 TWD each in Taipei, which is about $52.26 USD. I ordered mine in last Nov. and paid $1,618 TWD for the black one as the Japanese Yen was lower at that time. So if anyone has a chance traveling to Taipei, go get a pair of these JDM headrests as they have good price there!

I got a set of two rear head rests from Med Center Mazda. Part number BLE3-88-240 2. These are black for my CX-5. Cost $165 shipped for the pair. Any one need pics?

I got a set of two rear head rests from Med Center Mazda. Part number BLE3-88-240 2. These are black for my CX-5. Cost $165 shipped for the pair. Any one need pics?
Are they from CX-3 or Mazda3? Wouldn't mind to see the picture.

No pics needed. Just curious. That's a good deal @$55 less than Fendyman used to sell them for here!

No pics needed. Just curious. That's a good deal @$55 less than Fendyman used to sell them for here!
GP 2004's headrests are different from Fendyman's and Fendyman's are genuine JDM CX-5 headrests. I asked for pictures because I'd like to see the difference between his non-CX-5 headrest and JDM CX-5 headrest. The headrests GP 2004 bought from Med Center Mazda are not designed for CX-5 based on his different part number BLE3-88-240 2. I'd checked, the JDM version headrest for CX-5 is not available anywhere in the US and can't be special ordered from US Mazda dealer either.

If you look at previous several pages from this thread, people could get genuine JDM CX-5 rear seat headrests from Japanparts.com for about $170 USD via air shipping from Japan. And $16 less if you choose ground shipping. If you have a chance to be in Taipei, you can pick up a pair at Mazda dealer there for about $105 USD. I paid $96.52 USD for a pair when Japanese Yen exchange rate was lower last November.

For about the same price, of course I'd go Japanparts.com route as I suggested in the earlier posts. They are the original JDM rear seat headrests designed for CX-5.

the JDM version headrest for CX-5 is not available anywhere in the US and can't be special ordered from US Mazda dealer either.

Thought it seemed odd he was able to order it from a Mazda dealer in the US. I paid $171.90 from Japanparts.com for mine. Still waiting on them though. They are on order for right now. Can't wait to get them.

Thought it seemed odd he was able to order it from a Mazda dealer in the US. I paid $171.90 from Japanparts.com for mine. Still waiting on them though. They are on order for right now. Can't wait to get them.
No, GP 2004 ordered BLE3-88-240 02 which is the headrests either for US version CX-3 or Mazda3 which have low-profile style rear seat headrests. That's why he could get them from a US Mazda dealer. These headrests will fit CX-5 but not perfectly like those you guys ordered from Japanparts.com. Compare the part numbers as they're different.

You have black leather and you should receive yours a lot earlier than parchment leather as that's out of stock in Japan right now. Keep us posted.

Japanparts.com got back to me last night saying they had received the headrests. They also supplied me with images.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The stitching looks a little sub-par, but I looked at the other images of the parchment headrests and they seem to be comparable. Ill have to wait and see when they arrive. I have told them to ship them, so I should see them in a few weeks. I'll post back with an update of quality and color when they arrive.

Japanparts.com got back to me last night saying they had received the headrests. They also supplied me with images.
The stitching looks a little sub-par, but I looked at the other images of the parchment headrests and they seem to be comparable. Ill have to wait and see when they arrive. I have told them to ship them, so I should see them in a few weeks. I'll post back with an update of quality and color when they arrive.
Great news! So the part number, K073-88-240 39, is correct for parchment leather rear seat headrest! I didn't know Japanparts.com would sent you pictures to make sure they're what you wanted. The stitching is at the same quality level of our US version headrests. After all, it's not a Lexus or BMW. Otherwise you'll see double or triple stitching on it! Keep us posted!

I wonder why Scythe024 haven't received any pictures for his black ones?

They are built for a Mazda 3. I am trying to post pictures, and failing. Does anyone know of instructions? I searched and found nothing.
There're many ways to include the imagines. I use Google Picasa Web Albums as the storage and display the URL directly. Here are a couple of pictures from previous posts in this thread for Mazda3's headrests. They have red stitching and they won't match those headrests for 2016 and plus as those have black stitching on black headrests. The fitment is not as good as JDM CX-5 headrests either. I definitely believe getting original JDM CX-5 headrests via Japanparts.com for about $155/$170 is a better choice.

These are mazda 3 sport head rests. Frankly, I like them better than the euro specs because they don't go down as far which can be uncomfortable when the headrest are against your shoulder blades. Just giving others another option..
11ka920.jpg[
No gap. I got it from ebay for 70 a piece.
vncnpv.jpg

Here are 2016 JDM CX-5 headrests:
I really hate both sides of rearview mirror image on CX-5 are blocked by the rear seat headrests. I went ahead purchased a pair of non-US spec, low-profile rear seat headrests at a Mazda dealer during the recent trip to Taipei. It cost me USD $96.52 for a pair. Once I got back and tried them on, I feel that the money was well spent! I'm very happy to have these low-profile headrests and now I can see a full view of the back window from rearview mirror! What a safety improvement to us!

2016%252520Mazda%252520CX-5%252520GT%252520-%252520Non-US%252520Rear%252520Seat%252520Headrests.jpg

2016%252520Mazda%252520CX-5%252520GT%252520-%252520Rearview%252520Non-US%252520Rear%252520Seat%252520Headrests.jpg

The part numbers for Mazda CX-5 non-US version JDM rear seat headrests are:

2013~2015:
KD49-88-240 02 - Black Touring Cloth with Red Stitching
KD51-88-240 02 - Black GT Leather with Red Stitching
KD51-88-240 34 - Sand GT Leather with Sand Stitching

2016~?:
K070-88-240 02 - Black Touring Cloth with Black Stitching
K072-88-240 02 - Black GT Leather with Black Stitching
K073-88-240 39 - Parchment GT Leather with Parchment Stitching

Don't try to get those JDM headrests from US Mazda dealers. They can't order those.

2013~2015:

2016~?:

Don't try to get those JDM headrests from US Mazda dealers. They can't order those.

Thank you for the info.

2013~2015:

2016~?:

This is exactly what I was looking for- thank you!

IMGP9370.jpg
IMGP9372.jpg
IMGP9375.jpg

I figured out how to post pics.
These are the head rests. Please don't complain about the pics as I only pretend to be a photographer.

IMGP9370.jpg
IMGP9372.jpg
IMGP9375.jpg

These are the head rests. Please don't complain about the pics as I only pretend to be a photographer.
Those pics are garbage! J/K! They look fine, thanks for sharing.

Ha you've figured out how to post pictures! I always have something new to learn even if I've reached senior years. :)

Your pictures look very nice and sharp. I can even see the middle headrest has one line of red and one line of black stitching but Mazda3's has two lines of red stitching. CX-5's JDM headrests have only one line of red stitching which is exactly like middle headrest. And red stitching is only for 2013~2015 MY CX-5's. And yours look a bit taller than JDM CX5's when seated. Have you tried if they'll intervene the front seat back when you're folding the rear seat?

Back