FS: DaveB Ring Clones

Status
Not open for further replies.
i havent had that issue at all with the LX cluster i have. reut, im guessing your issue with the ring popping out is also related to that.

i will pull my MSP cluster off next time i go into the shop to see if i can get the same issue. in the meantime... did you try seating it at the top and pushing the bottom in? also try applying a little inward pressure when you push it down...

i havent had that issue at all with the LX cluster i have. reut, im guessing your issue with the ring popping out is also related to that.

i will pull my MSP cluster off next time i go into the shop to see if i can get the same issue. in the meantime... did you try seating it at the top and pushing the bottom in? also try applying a little inward pressure when you push it down...

I tried every direction and angle possible, lol. I'll pull the cluster back out at some point and fiddle with it again, tho. I had to throw it back in somewhat quickly the first time as I had somewhere to be...

yeah ive pushed it in at every angle possible. I figured if it gaps at the bottom its fine because its harder to see the gap at the bottom. So i get the gap at the bottom and when i put the lens back over and go to put it back in the car it starts falling out at the top again. there was no way to get it to press in like the small ones.

at least im not the only one so im happy for that.

btw, im loving the halo affect at night now :D

ill look into the issue, but theres not a whole lot i can do if i cant replicate the issue. i guess im hoping ill be able to?

Alright, so I wish I had good news but like everyone else, my two side rings fit great but the center ring is just too small. I'll post pictures tomorrow around noon, but the center ring just falls out when tipped over. I have two sets here and both sets yield the same results. After putting the clear lens on, it snugs the ring into place because the lens is actually pressed against the bottom of the center ring. This increased the gap at the top, but held strong until I dropped it off of the couch; (woops!) After that, the ring came completely unseated and rattled around inside the cluster.

Also important to note, I believe everyone is a bit confused as to why there is a gap at the top. It's not that the rings are not fully seated, you can see the lip is flush all around, but that the molded gauge rings (plastic rings built into the bezel) actually have a slight rake to them, meaning they are taller on the top than they are on the bottom. Since the gauge rings are the same height all the way around, it only makes sense that there would be a gap at the top. As others have mentioned, this really isn't an issue since the top of the gauge is not typically seen once installed.

I'll be putting a set in my dad's msp this weekend, I can make these work. But yudkib, if you're interested I can send you my rings and my cluster (2002 Protege5) so you can see what's going on first hand. I won't be needing it for a while, at least a month. Anything I can do to help you get this straightened out, just let me know.

Last edited:
well this is really a mess, thats for sure. can i get a roll call of people whos are... either
a.) too small (fall out when tapped)
b.) people who have "ring gap"?

also please list the cluster youre using it on.
if youve had success, id also appreciate it if you would take a moment and post.

So for the sake of consistancy:

A. Too small (can spin like a turntable)
B. Ring gap
Cluster type: 2002 mazda protege5 (manual)

I can ship the cluster your way tomorrow if you would like.

I think he's saying the cluster is uneven... which as far as I remember, mine is not.
the cluster does have a slight rake to it, but that shouldnt be the issue creating the gap. they should sit flush.

i just went into the shop and tested the two big rings i had there with both my MSP and my LX cluster. neither had any issues. shipping the rings back to me would provide no benefit since none of them had any issues on my end. wagonbacker said he would take a look at them since he also has a set of daveB's, if theres any volunteers who have a set with ring gap, who are willing to ship them over to him i will reimburse everyones shipping costs. but if youre willing to volunteer, PLEASE do so only if you can make it to the post office today or tomorrow.
PM ME! soon!

when you guys push the big ring into the cluster, before adding the shield, how much of a gap is there between the flange on the ring and the top of the cluster... uh, plate... the black part. there is usually a teeny bit more than the small rings which sit perfectly on the top, but it shouldnt be more than the width of a flathead screwdriver, at most.

Last edited:
the cluster does have a slight rake to it, but that shouldnt be the issue creating the gap. they should sit flush.

i just went into the shop and tested the two big rings i had there with both my MSP and my LX cluster. neither had any issues. shipping the rings back to me would provide no benefit since none of them had any issues on my end. wagonbacker said he would take a look at them since he also has a set of daveB's, if theres any volunteers who have a set with ring gap, who are willing to ship them over to him i will reimburse everyones shipping costs. but if youre willing to volunteer, PLEASE do so only if you can make it to the post office today or tomorrow.
PM ME! soon!

when you guys push the big ring into the cluster, before adding the shield, how much of a gap is there between the flange on the ring and the top of the cluster... uh, plate... the black part. there is usually a teeny bit more than the small rings which sit perfectly on the top, but it shouldnt be more than the width of a flathead screwdriver, at most.

It's considerably more than that.

I'd like to help out here and see what we can track down... if someone is willing to send me a ring I'll sit down and do a full comparo with the DaveB, and check it out on my cluster ETC. I'll be sure to photo-document anything I can as well.

OK, thats up at the gap i assume, right? how much space is there at the bottom?
what about if you do your best to make it uniform?

OK, thats up at the gap i assume, right? how much space is there at the bottom?
what about if you do your best to make it uniform?

It doesn't sit uniformly, it slides one way regardless. It tends to slide either up or down, tho. I'll take it back out and play with it this weekend if I have time, but I'm pretty busy this weekend. I probably won't get a chance to take the cluster back out until the middle of next week; unless I get around to it on Sunday anyways...

I really want to get these but I will wait until the issue is resolved. My bro has my Original Brushed DaveB's......(cryhard)

I really want to get these but I will wait until the issue is resolved. My bro has my Original Brushed DaveB's......(cryhard)

The 2 small rings are perfect, and even the large ring is only noticeable because I'm looking for it. From straight on, the gap isn't clearly evident. I'm sure I can get it to sit better once I have a little time for it, too. I need to buff out a small scratch on the cluster cover from my stupidity during the first install anyways, lol.

Alright, so I feel I'm not being clear, so I broke out microsoft paint to give a visual. As you can see, each ring has a lip, and the lip of the ring sits flush against the bezal, but because the top of the bezel ring is taller at the top and shorter at the bottom, there is a gap at the top. THIS IS NOT SEEN ONCE INSTALLED (in the car), and is only seen now since you have a different perspective on the cluster. I left my camera at home but will try to post pictures tomorrow. The quality is very nice, like I said earlier, I'll be installing a set in my dads msp this weekend despite the issue.

Hope this helps (obviosuly not to scale):

GaugeRings.jpg

Last edited:
im gonna see if the rings fit on the 99 cluster today (i doubt they will) and then if needed i can send them somewhere for them to be tried on another cluster if you would like?

I just spoke with my buddy that has a set of unfinished DaveB's, I'll try to get some side-by-side and fitment comparison shots over the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back