FS: DaveB Ring Clones

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2 small rings are perfect, and even the large ring is only noticeable because I'm looking for it. From straight on, the gap isn't clearly evident. I'm sure I can get it to sit better once I have a little time for it, too. I need to buff out a small scratch on the cluster cover from my stupidity during the first install anyways, lol.

I kind of figured after all the reading. I just wanted to be sure.

I'll let you know how mine are when they arrive Carlos

K Thanks. Let me know so I can have a "look see" in person. I can take some pictures of the ones installed on my bro's P5 in different angles.

B. Ring gap (think from being too big to press in correctly as seen in the picture.)

03 Protege5

Has anyone tried freezing their center ring and then putting it in? Sounds dumb, but aluminum does contract and expand with temperature. Maybe a .001" difference will make it work?

Ok. So basically the same thing that happens normally when you press it down, it just slides back up after a few seconds...

same thing yes, just tried it again added a tiny piece of 3m tape at the top of the cluster in a few spots so when i pushed down the cold ring this time it stays in place very well, and with a smaller gap than before...

OK guys heres the rub...

i got some pics from bikingpro5, the small gap between the edge of the bezel and the lip of the ring is an issue ive run into as well. the ring generally sits even so that the distance (the width of a penny as he illustrated to me) is uniform. there is a little black from the bezel exposed under the ring, but it is uniform all the way around since it sits that penny-width off the plastic all the way around.

but, even with it sitting less-than-ideally, they still survive all of my tap tests... all of them. ive never had any issue with either cluster or any ring thats made it out. in any case, i will fiddle with the size if i get a chance to see if i can correct the issue and get a better fit. i cant make promises, i only have one more week in the shop, but i will see what i can do. i didnt realize the small elevation could be the source of the problem, and i will try making them slightly smaller to sit lower and see if that helps, or try making them slightly larger to increase the friction against the wall.

hopefully i will have an answer by tuesday.

Can I still order a set of unfinished rings? I saw it was a 2-3 weeks for delivery? I paid anyways but if not available please reimburse my payment.

Last edited:
OK i made 5 different sized rings that are being overnighted to FORZWIN. he has two clusters and the time to check them so hopefully ill have new offsets to use with the tooling and everyone can get the correct size ring. i dont know when the revised ones will ship but at least i should be able to run them.

I can try both sets that I have tonight and see what the reults are but i imagine the same as everyone else

Hey dumb question, but since I've never taken out the cluster and do not want to break anything, what do you have to do to get the lens off to install the rings?

Hey dumb question, but since I've never taken out the cluster and do not want to break anything, what do you have to do to get the lens off to install the rings?
its VERY simple. 2 screws, remove the cluster surround trim, another set of screws, pull the cluster out of the dash, disconnect the harness, one screw off the top to remove the bracket, pop the acrylic off, then install the rings and reverse.

that's it. there's a video on youtube from the original sets if you need it. for people who have not tested if theirs will stay in, please do so and post your results.

I just put my rings in and the two small ones fit perfectly, but the center ring is slightly too small that it doesnt hold.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back